cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this worth it. Or am I in over my head...

vcarvajal89
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys obviously new to the RV scene. I have just purchased a 1993 Fleetwood Southwind, 60k miles on a 454. Now I bought it as a project for only $300. it isn't currently running did not have batteries to get her running on my own but owner did get it to kick over for a few seconds with his batteries.

So what I am after is some honest opinion on is it worth the investment or am I wasting my time and more importantly money.
It wasn't in our plan to buy an RV but the original owner had it posted for $1,000 online. I shot him an offer of $800 and he quickly declined... I wasn't really looking for an RV just a project to keep me occupied during free time. Then one day a friend asked me if I could give him a ride to his buddy's house to pick some tools he left there and as fate would have it there she was the RV I inquired about a few months back. The owner saw me eyeing her down and shouted out "$500 and shes your". I hesitated to answer and just surveyed as much as I could when all of a sudden the front door of the house flew open and out came an angry wife saying this thing has sat to long and she is ready for it to be gone $300 cash and I can take this baby home. The owner threw in a couple batteries turned the engine over for a few and gave me the long story of how his father in law used the rv as a vacation spot in south florida and then he passed away. The RV sat for about 8months when someone broke into it. So then the owner brought the RV home and there it saw for what seems like 2 or 3 years and the owners house.

Now for the bad... I inspected the RV and saw the water damage just behind the drive seat on the roof and wall. And part of the cabinets in the kitchen had some damage. the front door was mangled from the break in and the rest was impossible to reach because they piled junk from floor to ceiling, but from the looks it seemed alright. Finally got her home and cleaned her out and then that's when my concerns started. I thought the leak was only because one of the skylights I'm assuming broke allowing water to get in. I started opening doors and closets and noticed the water made it all the way back to the bed room. So I started gutting her out figured I would go for a clean slate. the more I ripped out the more damage I found until finally I climbed the roof and realized 50% of the rubber material was gone and the roof was rotted away. I started to pull the paneling off the wall and in the front half (so far) the wood was soaked, as well as the wood under the carpet.

So as it sits (from what I know) It needs a whole new roof, all new walls, all new flooring, and new cabinets and furniture.

I am a mechanic so I am fairly capable of the large task at hand just wondering if anyone has taken on a project this big before and if so was it worth it in the end. What are the chances the cost will outweigh the worth of the RV??? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
34 REPLIES 34

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, only YOU can determine if it is "worth it" to YOU.
Keep in mind that you will never get your money back by selling it. No matter how good of a job you do, it will never be worth what you have put into it, especially if you keep track of your hours (at $50 per hour), and take into consideration any sub-contracting you may have to do.
If you are rebuilding it for your own use, though, "worth" is entirely up to you.
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
It is not financially worth while. You are better off buying one that has been well cared for.

I agree. We found the motorhome in my sig for $2950 ( includes generator ). We have spent $1200 for 6 new tires and $200 for a new updated converter/charger. It's now ready for our needs:

On the other hand, I have watched some really cool " Tiny Homes " built on TV. Maybe use the chassis and build yourself something nice.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

bjcarpetguy
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents. As has been said, most Old RV's can be restored. The ones that can't are too far gone for much else the scrap metal, and at least around here that can be a lot more costly than beneficial.
The 454 should be able to get running with only 60k. I know I have two. Both are 1987's. The biggest issue on old engines that have sat is the rubber, and synthetics on the engine and related parts. Just keep in mind a lot of guys have made many RV's out of busses a lot older. Some are pretty cool, just depends on your skill level or how much you are willing to learn along the way.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
After the typical rhetoric and banter, myself included, the best, most accurate and concise answer is right here. ^^
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
It is not financially worth while. You are better off buying one that has been well cared for.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
it can definitely be done. When you are finished you will have your RV. it will be what you make it. That's worth something. On the other hand time is worth something also. I'd strip it, sell what you can and hold onto the 454 for a fun project. A camp ready rv is not that expensive if you are handy.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
A longtime friend of mine, a welder, had a year off work and took on the job of converting a retired school bus into a motorhome. I only saw the steel frame he built and some plans. His objective was to make the strongest motorhome ever and I bet it was. The thing is, this was his second time doing it. The first was no sooner finished than someone offered him a price he couldn't resist.

My thought for you is, if you have an idea for making a unique motorhome, it just might be worthwhile.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Isaac-1 wrote:

The way I see it is you can put $20,000 into it and then when you are done you will have a $7,000 motorhome.

What he said.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go - just thought of this. I just this month bought a 454 long block from a junk yard as a core for a hot rod project. It has the one piece crank shaft seal, and oval port heads. Guy at the junk yard is an acquaintance - see him at the cruise-in's. He said they pulled it from an old motor home, and priced it at $350.00. I offered $300.00, but he said he really needed the 350. so I paid the man his price.

So you have at least that much in the engine if you decide to part it out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got my snowmobile free from the neighbor. It needed a lot of small things and a few big things. In the end I have about $800 in it. It's worth a thousand. I could've bought a running sled, but it would've needed about $300-$400. You have to look at what you have and what is available.

I would find a running/driving project with no leaks or very minor leaks. Maybe plumbing or electrical or repairing/replacing cabinets furniture. But doing and entire RV roof to floor is too much!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am reminded of what I call a Harsen's Island Fixer Upper.. True story, a buyer on said island layed planks down on the floor to walk across it, Accidentally stepped off the plank and went through the floor. now that's a real Fixer Upper. in fact about the only thing NOT rotted was the frame itself.

If you have the skills to re-build.. Well for 300 your got a steal, If you have to pay professionals to do the work, specifically the roof/sides and floors.. perhaps not so much.. But if you can do most of the work yourself. you got a deal and a half.

I have the knowledge to so this stuff.. but alas,, No longer the stamina.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
Isaac-1 wrote:
The way I see it is you can put $20,000 into it and then when you are done you will have a $7,000 motorhome.
my thought exactly
OK if you are simply fixing it up to resell at a profit... I agree forgetaboutit.

You can also buy a MH for $20,000 and resell it for $7,000 after getting some use out of it. Lots of people do this. The point is if you will be using it to travel and experience the outdoors it may well be worth the effort.

Otherwise I don't know many that plan to make money on an RV.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
vcarvajal89 wrote:
It wasn't in our plan to buy an RV but the original owner had it posted for $1,000 online. I shot him an offer of $800 and he quickly declined... I wasn't really looking for an RV just a project to keep me occupied during free time.

Since your plan wasn't to buy a RV, then I would say part it out and/or junk it out. You could probably get your $300 back plus more if you part it out and then junk the rest.

If you want to occupy your time, this is certainly the project for that. Since you mentioned the word investment, I get the feeling that you are hoping to fix it up and make some money out of it. With a rebuild of this magnitude, you most likely will not make much money out of it. You will most likely put more money into than you can sell it for. As others have stated, even completely renovated, it is still at 23+ year old Motorhome.

Put it on Craigslist for $500, be honest about the problems and see if you get any takers.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to know when to fold them.

Seen this happen many times with boats. "I got it for a steal". No you didn't. You bought somebodys nightmare & soon it will turn into yours. By the time you get it finished, if you get it finished, you will be burnt out & want to be rid of it.

Trouble is, in the eyes of potential buyers, it is still an old rig even though you have put a bundle in material & your time into it.

Part it out, especially parts that are model specific, & junk the rest.

Take that money, plus at least double what your estimate was to restore the old one & go find something that is at least 'turn key' & needing modifications as you go along without missing a day of camping time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995