Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie to RV-Life

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

My name is Alex and I have made the decision to purchase a camper to call my home as opposed to living in a sticks & bricks house. My decision stems from the fact that I both work full-time and go to college as a full-time student. I was faced with the idea of going in four different directions; I could find a house to rent and pay ungodly amounts of $$$ per month; I could try and buy a sticks & bricks house to live in in order to mortgage it at a low enough monthly to afford it; I could buy a mobile home and find a spot to park it and establish it as a home in the all-powerful eyes of the great state of Alabama; or, I could buy a camper.

My problem was made worse due to the fact that I, and my girlfriend, have two dogs (a Chihuahua and an American Pit-bull) and a cat. Finding a place that is both affordable that accepts pets is hard in the area that I need to be for school. Also, seeing as how I am in school to be a teacher, I am unsure if purchasing a home right now is the best decision because I might have to move.

And, when I say that I am a beginning Rv-er, I mean to say that I plan on parking either a travel trailer, or a fifth wheel, in an RV Park and living there for the next four years as my girlfriend and I chase a masters degree. I am looking for any kind of advice that I can get my hands on having to do with tips and tricks to living in a camper. I have found a location, and have begun shopping for campers, however, I really do not know the best route to go with this adventure, haha. Much obliged to any words of wisdom, lol.
33 REPLIES 33

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
GramaofAAAA wrote:
We went from a 5 bedroom, 4000' home to an 30' 5th wheel almost 2 years ago. We do have a small storage unit, but we didn't want to get one. Our RV has 2 slides and those really help with space! You really need to "downsize" on everything, and that can be difficult for some. It can get crazy sometimes, so you really need to be able to give each other some "space"! We have been married for 45 years, and I'm a retired teacher :). I think it's doable, but not easy. You will need a space to study as well.

Yeah, our big issue when we do this will be getting rid of a lot of stuff.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So you have a decent house that's $900 a month all in or that's what it would cost?
Doeant seem like buying a rv and paying $500 for a campsite and maybe a storage u it is really any cheaper.
Now if you're talking a lot more for renting a house then that's different.
Just make sure you get a big trailer, lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 5 bedroom, 4000' home to an 30' 5th wheel almost 2 years ago. We do have a small storage unit, but we didn't want to get one. Our RV has 2 slides and those really help with space! You really need to "downsize" on everything, and that can be difficult for some. It can get crazy sometimes, so you really need to be able to give each other some "space"! We have been married for 45 years, and I'm a retired teacher :). I think it's doable, but not easy. You will need a space to study as well.

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Regarding 'close quarters'.... there are thousands and thousands of full-time RVers out there. They are able to live in all sizes of RVs. We knew of a couple traveling for years in a van and they were quite happy. Others in truck campers or 18' RVs.

Zero in on your relationship with your girlfriend as to whether you both can do it. Is she for it? You'll have to do a lot of sharing of money and chores but it could cement your relationship, too.

Well, we already share bills and chores and are pretty close. My problem is that travelling is one thing, seeing new places, doing new things, etc... We will most likely be virtually stationary. We may try and haul it somewhere for a vacation, but, I'm not sure if that will happen too often.

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
mrkoje wrote:
X2 for an apartment. Between what you would need to pay for the camper itself, RV park fees etc.. you won't be spending much more on an apartment.

Well, there is a bit of a price difference. Whereas we are paying round $900 for living expenses havinv to do with the house like rent, electricity, water, internet, etc... we will be paying $500 at an rv park, not including payments on a camper if we have to finance it. However, the biggest issue is affording something that allows pets. That is where the camper and RV park work out better.

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
Close quarters is right. Bathrooms and kitchen areas are usually where you notice it, though if your animals like to be near you when you're home, you may also notice it in the living quarters too. Storage is also limited, though many young students don't have so much stuff that it should be a big problem for you. If you are both students, you'll need a comfortable place to study/do homework/etc. for both of you. The table may do, but it may not; you may need to use some creativity there.

With the cat, you may also need to use some creativity to find a good spot for the litter box, so that it's out of the way but not too hard to get to in order to clean it out. This was a priority for us in our camper, since we take our cat along, and it's tough finding a good spot like that big enough for a litter box. In your situation, you may not be able to be too picky.

Don't buy something really old; chances are you'll have a lot of repairs. (BTW, a good idea to ask the RV park owner/mgr about any mobile RV repair people he'd recommend, just in case.) A few years old (up to 5 or 6) should be about the limit, if possible. I agree with others that you should look for something around 30'. Any smaller and you will be on top of each other all the time.

Some good points brought up by others about propane use in the winter (and for cooking). Just be aware of it. We used our camper to live in for 10-12 days while we were in the process of moving out of our last house; it was in late March in Illinois, and overnight temps were below freezing (daytime highs anywhere from 35 to 65); we went mostly through 3 20-lb bottles of propane in that time.

One comment about campground Wifi; it's notoriously slow or unreliable. You may want to look into another source for a hot spot - perhaps with your phone. (More secure too, in many cases.)

I think your plan is doable too. You'll learn as you go along. Glad you're asking here, and you might consider some other RV forums as well (there are some brand-specific ones that can be of help with technical/mechanical issues, even if they're not the brand you end up with.) Good luck to you!

Yeah, we would definatly have to work out some kinks. The need for internet at the place we live is really just for entertainment purposes. I have internet at my school, and at my work. As far as mechanical issues...yeah...I have none, lol.

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
PaisleyDale wrote:
Alex,

When I did it I rented an RV space in a Mobile Home Park. The first year it was me and my 20yr old daughter and two dogs. Then it was my wife and I and one dog and one cat.

We did this in Oregon, below zero temps at times. Never broke anything but we did freeze up a couple of times.

We would take off and travel also. It was a great time.

What would I have to worry about if I were to to limit my use of propane for heat during the winter and just use blankets? Also, how big was your dog? I'm working with a 70-pounder, haha.

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
AmericalVette wrote:
Hi Alex - It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up. Living in such close quarters can be "taxing" to say the least. Keep in mind that all of your personal items such as clothing, food, and other household supplies will take up a lot of space. There will not be much room for many extras. But, if you have lived in a college dorm or a military barracks, you already know this. Have you ever camped in a travel trailer or 5th wheel? Perhaps you can find one to rent and stay in a few days and that will give you a general idea. Whatever you decide, best wishes and good luck in your pursuit of such a noble profession.

I have camped before, however, only with my family, haha. I was a kid then. I can manage just fine, it is just the shadow looming that says "YOU WILL BE HERE FOR FOUR YEARS ALEX" that seems to shake me up a bit, lol. And we have made the mistake of stocking our current house full of stuff (furniture, appliances, etc...) so, we have a got some serious spring cleaning to do. Would anyone recommend yard sale, or renting a storage unit for anything we might want to keep?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding 'close quarters'.... there are thousands and thousands of full-time RVers out there. They are able to live in all sizes of RVs. We knew of a couple traveling for years in a van and they were quite happy. Others in truck campers or 18' RVs.

Zero in on your relationship with your girlfriend as to whether you both can do it. Is she for it? You'll have to do a lot of sharing of money and chores but it could cement your relationship, too.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for an apartment. Between what you would need to pay for the camper itself, RV park fees etc.. you won't be spending much more on an apartment.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Close quarters is right. Bathrooms and kitchen areas are usually where you notice it, though if your animals like to be near you when you're home, you may also notice it in the living quarters too. Storage is also limited, though many young students don't have so much stuff that it should be a big problem for you. If you are both students, you'll need a comfortable place to study/do homework/etc. for both of you. The table may do, but it may not; you may need to use some creativity there.

With the cat, you may also need to use some creativity to find a good spot for the litter box, so that it's out of the way but not too hard to get to in order to clean it out. This was a priority for us in our camper, since we take our cat along, and it's tough finding a good spot like that big enough for a litter box. In your situation, you may not be able to be too picky.

Don't buy something really old; chances are you'll have a lot of repairs. (BTW, a good idea to ask the RV park owner/mgr about any mobile RV repair people he'd recommend, just in case.) A few years old (up to 5 or 6) should be about the limit, if possible. I agree with others that you should look for something around 30'. Any smaller and you will be on top of each other all the time.

Some good points brought up by others about propane use in the winter (and for cooking). Just be aware of it. We used our camper to live in for 10-12 days while we were in the process of moving out of our last house; it was in late March in Illinois, and overnight temps were below freezing (daytime highs anywhere from 35 to 65); we went mostly through 3 20-lb bottles of propane in that time.

One comment about campground Wifi; it's notoriously slow or unreliable. You may want to look into another source for a hot spot - perhaps with your phone. (More secure too, in many cases.)

I think your plan is doable too. You'll learn as you go along. Glad you're asking here, and you might consider some other RV forums as well (there are some brand-specific ones that can be of help with technical/mechanical issues, even if they're not the brand you end up with.) Good luck to you!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
Alex,

When I did it I rented an RV space in a Mobile Home Park. The first year it was me and my 20yr old daughter and two dogs. Then it was my wife and I and one dog and one cat.

We did this in Oregon, below zero temps at times. Never broke anything but we did freeze up a couple of times.

We would take off and travel also. It was a great time.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Alex - It sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up. Living in such close quarters can be "taxing" to say the least. Keep in mind that all of your personal items such as clothing, food, and other household supplies will take up a lot of space. There will not be much room for many extras. But, if you have lived in a college dorm or a military barracks, you already know this. Have you ever camped in a travel trailer or 5th wheel? Perhaps you can find one to rent and stay in a few days and that will give you a general idea. Whatever you decide, best wishes and good luck in your pursuit of such a noble profession.
Times fun when you're having flies!

jscott37
Explorer
Explorer
PaisleyDale wrote:
Welcome to the forum Alex, you will get all kinds of help and information here.
RV will be to small for you, your girlfriend, two dogs and a cat.
Only you will know if an

I suggest something used with a walk around bed, a kitchen and or living room slide. Also a 5th wheel costs more than a travel trailer but a 5th wheel has more storage and separates the living area from the bedroom.

This would be one way to get into RVing and help you with your taxes too. You can deduct the interest you pay just like on a sticks and bricks.

I would do it, I did it for six years and we had winters not like Alabama. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I understand, it will be cramped. We will be coming from a house with a large back yard, so walking the dogs will be a required deal. However, neither of the dogs is high energy,they are pretty lazy. And one of the parks has a dog park on-site. When you did it, were you on your own or living with others?

PaisleyDale
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum Alex, you will get all kinds of help and information here. Only you will know if an RV will be to small for you, your girlfriend, two dogs and a cat.

I suggest something used with a walk around bed, a kitchen and or living room slide. Also a 5th wheel costs more than a travel trailer but a 5th wheel has more storage and separates the living area from the bedroom.

This would be one way to get into RVing and help you with your taxes too. You can deduct the interest you pay just like on a sticks and bricks.

I would do it, I did it for six years and we had winters not like Alabama. Good luck with what ever you decide.
2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v
2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport 2.0 4motion
1998 Honda CR-V toad