cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent or Buy for 10 month trip?

MickiJeana
Explorer
Explorer
I have a window of opportunity to be without a home, and travel while I work, from August to May 2018. Want to live in something like a 25' Winnebago Spirit and travel around the US. I would work out of my 'home'. After August would want to sell my RV, if I chose to buy one. Question is: should I buy a used RV or try to find a long term rental? I am a total newbie.
28 REPLIES 28

BBminn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, for 10 months I would suggest buying a good used rv.
we currently put our 2010 Itasca sunova for sale on rvtrader.com. It may work for you.

Good luck and safe travels.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 10 months it would cost you as much to rent one as it would to purchase one.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
MickiJeana wrote:
Question is: should I buy a used RV or try to find a long term rental? I am a total newbie.

You obviously have not researched the cost of RV rental. If you had, you would know the answer to your question.

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
As already mentioned,maybe buying a Former Rental might be the way to go. They come with a 1 year or 12,000 mile power train warranty and 30 days on all major appliances and their dealer service centers are nationwide.

There are more than 80 happy owners that have contributed to the Rental thread above.

You will get a RV that has been refurbished and all service has been done over it's lifetime,some like mine come with all the records from day one. With a used one from a private party or dealer you may not know what you are getting or if it had the proper maintenance or any warranties unless you want to pay extra.

Thanks for clarifying on the warranty aspect of buying from a rental company. Wasn't sure about that:c.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As already mentioned,maybe buying a Former Rental might be the way to go. They come with a 1 year or 12,000 mile power train warranty and 30 days on all major appliances and their dealer service centers are nationwide.

There are more than 80 happy owners that have contributed to the Rental thread above.

You will get a RV that has been refurbished and all service has been done over it's lifetime,some like mine come with all the records from day one. With a used one from a private party or dealer you may not know what you are getting or if it had the proper maintenance or any warranties unless you want to pay extra.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand that thinking of buying a used rental is the 'go to' thing to suggest. Look at 'one owner' units that have been taken care of. Rentals have had probably 100's of renters who don't care about anything.

Before we purchased, I was looking at a brand new rental that had 3,000 miles on it to rent for two weeks. The sofa had been all chewed up from a previous renters dog. I can only imagine what other renters do that you will never know.

I believe a previously loved unit would be what I would look at first. Most people take care in not 'curbing' their tires but renters my not care at all.

There are so many previously owned one-owner units on the market. I would start there. Rental units may not have all the options that a regular unit might have. Maybe a washer and dryer is your preference or other options that would likely be on a purchased one-owner motorhome.

And, like mentioned above, you might just want to keep the motorhome for other travels or you may want to make it your home.

Whatever you decide, good luck and safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cruise America Class C sales.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
jwandvassie wrote:
Buy. After 10 months, you'll want to keep it.

Best answer!

Definitely look into a used rental. You might find something local. Also check into ElMonte RV and CruiseAmerica. They both have large fleets that continually turn over.

Be aware that there will be some maintenance you will have to do... you should look into re-caulking the seams. Many buyers invest a little in beefing up the suspension.

There is a long thread on here about buying a used RV, in the Class C section. Lots of good reading there FYI.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
Buy. After 10 months, you'll want to keep it.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
MickiJeana wrote:
Question is: should I buy a used RV or try to find a long term rental? I am a total newbie.

You obviously have not researched the cost of RV rental. If you had, you would know the answer to your question.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
MickiJeana wrote:
I have a window of opportunity to be without a home, and travel while I work, from August to May 2018. Want to live in something like a 25' Winnebago Spirit and travel around the US. I would work out of my 'home'. After August would want to sell my RV, if I chose to buy one. Question is: should I buy a used RV or try to find a long term rental? I am a total newbie.

OK..in all honesty I think you are the only one who can answer this question since none of us knows what your mechanical skills are.

First, I would contact rental firms in my area. Count on paying a minimum of $100 per day and an additional $300.00-$400.00 for every 1,000 miles you travel. Renting it w/o fee added furnishings (linens, towels, dishes, etc) will lower your costs. You may find that the daily rate and mileage fee will go down for a long term rental. No need to figure out gas costs since it will be the same whether you rent or buy.

Second, price out a comparable used RV to the one you could rent, have it gone over by an independent qualified mechanic, and then compare prices with the rental costs subtracting the future resale price. You might even be able to buy a used camper from the rental company.

Since you are planning to work out of your unit check with your accountant and see if there are any tax benefits to either scheme.

Whatever option you take have fun out there.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had the same decision and chose to buy and older gasser and resell it when we were done. I got about what I paid for it. Bought an older DP for retirement.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
With rental rates averaging between 100 and 150 a day I think buying would be the way to go. And the fact that your trek would end in May means it would be easy to sell as camping season would be just beginning.

Look into buying a former rental. They are cheaper than new, would depreciate less and be very easy to sell.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
For that amount of time I would buy. A rental would break the bank for that long a time period. Including maintenance, presuming you're going to take care of it properyly, you will find the cost per month to be about half or less of the rental rate. Plus you get to pick what fits you instead of making due with what you can get.