cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scooters

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen many posts talking about the cars that people tow. I was thinking of getting a hitch carrier and using a scooter to get around. Opinions? Good idea? Bad idea?
27 REPLIES 27

deborahsheik
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a Vespa 150 on a modified carrier with a hydrolic lift.
Deborah and Jack
Englewood, Florida
2014 Winnebago Era 70a
AKA "Diva Mobile" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I am renting a Thor Axis in June to see how I like it. The hitch can hold 500lbs. So I know the carrier and the scooter can not exceed this weight. That's why I thought about a150cc. Maybe I need a little bigger. Suzuki has a Bergman 200, honda have a 250, Yamaha I'm not sure. So not only is the weight important but the length as well. Have to look at that.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeti plus wrote:
I have 2 scooters, both Honda, one 50 cc one 250 cc. Had the 50 for 4 years before I bought the 250. I needed the 250 to obtain a full motorcycle licence in Ontario.
I have a rack that fits into a standard 2" receiver. The 50 fits just fine and loads easily. Thought the 250 would work as well, but not so. It is almost too long for the rack and the centre of gravity is just far enough back that it is a real chore to load onto the rack. So now the hunt is on for something in the 150 cc range. Enough power to go at highway speed if necessary but short enough and light enough for the rack. I have a front mount hitch that the rack fits into when I have the trailer or camper on.
It is a real pig to back into a tight spot with the scooter on the front and the trailer on the back. There is an extra 30 " sticking out the front so you have to watch for trees and campground posts when turning tight.

Check out the specs on the 150cc before putting any money down. Scooters such as these are a daily staple of transport around here. I have a 150cc. I don't know about highway speeds but it should cruise at the 50mph for short runs. Weightwise, there won't be much difference between the 150 & 250, same model.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My Jeep Wrangler toad has a roof, heater and windshield wipers. I've been very happy to have them sometimes.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled across USA and into Canada with a Honda Helix 250 on the back of our Class C motorhome. Worked great. Never had any issues with campgrounds or different states.

We added two additional channels to make the carrier more substantial.

Sold the Helix (250cc) and purchased Yamaha Majesty (400cc). It was too heavy to carry on the rear of the motorhome so I got a trailer.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Capeteacher wrote:

I plan on getting something around 150cc-200cc. I will need a license.

Just making sure, your the only one riding this right? They can be tough for two.

Here is an option for you. Honda Helix. My wife has one and loves it. 250cc Automatic. Top speed of 70mph. A lot more storage than a typical scooter. Probably longer than a scooter, but much more versatile. Only used available now, but usually several around for sale.

Wifes Helix (with added bag and backrest).
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 scooters, both Honda, one 50 cc one 250 cc. Had the 50 for 4 years before I bought the 250. I needed the 250 to obtain a full motorcycle licence in Ontario.
I have a rack that fits into a standard 2" receiver. The 50 fits just fine and loads easily. Thought the 250 would work as well, but not so. It is almost too long for the rack and the centre of gravity is just far enough back that it is a real chore to load onto the rack. So now the hunt is on for something in the 150 cc range. Enough power to go at highway speed if necessary but short enough and light enough for the rack. I have a front mount hitch that the rack fits into when I have the trailer or camper on.
It is a real pig to back into a tight spot with the scooter on the front and the trailer on the back. There is an extra 30 " sticking out the front so you have to watch for trees and campground posts when turning tight.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 1986 Honda Spree and have never had a problem. Not sure how a campground can ban a licensed, insured, street legal scooter. State Parks can require a separate vehicle sticker. I've never been bothered by police because states pretty much have reciprocity with other states.

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Dtaylor wrote:
Not sure where you camp but a lot of campgrounds I go to do not allow them. I guess you could pick and choose where you go and only go where they are allowed

I am just in the research and planning stage for buying and starting to camp. The scooter would be for traveling outside the campground, for sightseeing.

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Mike& Rose wrote:
I started looking into doing the same thing but was told by a scooter dealer that the laws are different in different states regarding individual licenses and registration. I have not had time to research this put just food for thought before you purchased. Hopefully someone who owns a scooter can shed some wisdom.

I plan on getting something around 150cc-200cc. I will need a license.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where you camp but a lot of campgrounds I go to do not allow them. I guess you could pick and choose where you go and only go where they are allowed
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
I started looking into doing the same thing but was told by a scooter dealer that the laws are different in different states regarding individual licenses and registration. I have not had time to research this put just food for thought before you purchased. Hopefully someone who owns a scooter can shed some wisdom.
See you on the road!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were going to carry our scooter on a carrier on the back of our class A. Changed at last minute because handlebars would have been resting against/bouncing/hitting against the fiberglass rear cap. We didn't want holes in the fiberglass if it hit extra hard after a bump or something. We now pull a utility trailer with a motorcycle and the scooter along with tool boxes and wooden entry steps.