cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Severe thunderstorms- do we need to lower the TV antenna?

Lilrhody
Explorer
Explorer
First trip with our TT and, of course we are under severe thunderstorm warnings. We have a crank up TV antenna. Do we need to lower it?
29 REPLIES 29

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Ii didnt feel anything but heard the arcing on the exhaust. I knew exctly what it was but in my mind it took a few seconds to ramp up the panic and clear the deck of people. Fortunately it hit elsewhere because there were allot of people close by.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall where I read this tidbit about lightening, but for what it's worth...

That "tickler" you where close to-- if you feel your hair stand on end then YOU are the tickler and should immediately jump up off of the ground to avoid a direct strike.

Kinda like playing dead during a bear attack -- false sense of security perhaps?
Ray

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I have personally seen this tickler happen only feet from me on a pointy exhaust pipe on a boat and hope I'm not that close ever again. I'll agree with the pointy antenna, but jacks and slides won't change the effects of a strike.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Weather Geek here; ultra-slow motion photography shows that often, the ground sends up weak "feelers" to balance the negative and positive charges in the air. These feelers reach farther if they are coming from a pointed source. Meanwhile, the storm clouds are sending feelers of their own. When these two sources meet, then a cloud-to-ground bolt is delivered. Dr Tim Samaras documented this interaction with a 10,000 frame per second camera, because it real time it happens so fast you can't see it occur.

When I'm camping, I try to NOT provide a pathway for feelers. Antenna down because it's pointy, jacks up, slider in.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

NERoadRunner
Explorer
Explorer
The National Weather Service considers wind speeds of 58mph severe. That is their criteria for issuing a sever thunderstorm warning nationwide.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
buta4 wrote:
Interesting experiment on YOUTUBE titled "Hammond VS Lightening".

Faraday Cage effect on metal-framed vehicles.

(Don't know how to do Clicky, sorry.) :h

How bout THIS

Excellent! TYVM. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ray

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
buta4 wrote:

How bout THIS
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

buta4
Explorer
Explorer

Ray

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm lucky, I don't have to worry about it. Mostly because a decent thunderstorm already ripped my antenna off. Wind gust speeds were reported in the 80mph range.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
jbrad13 wrote:
Not only do I bring the antenna down, I also bring in the slide and raise the jacks.
All raising the jacks will do is get you seasick ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a MH and having been in a CG where a tornado touched down. I personally saw RV's tipped over. Mine was lifted off the ground while I was inside but luckily didn't go all the way over. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I now if there is time move the MH so the nose is into the wind and to come off any levelers I have under the tires. And no I don't care what the CG owner thinks when I move it either! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jbrad13
Explorer
Explorer
Not only do I bring the antenna down, I also bring in the slide and raise the jacks.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lilrhody wrote:
Not worried about lightning - lots of things much taller than us where we are tonight - plus we are sitting on rubber tires.

More wondering about the wind potential. N

The tongue jack is not made of rubber. If you see lightning in the area it's a good idea to lower the antenna. Lightning is attracted to taller structures and there's no need to make your profile higher than necessary.

Wind damage is also a concern, if it bends it may not go back down....

Last camping trip we watched TV in bed, then I awoke at 3am to lightning and thunder, so I hopped out of bed and lowered the antenna.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I do because of wind.
Jayco-noslide