cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on asking friends for mootchdocking?

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any good tips on approaching friends to ask for a spare driveway? How do you start that conversation? What things do you say and not say? How do you ask about the length of stay? How much is appropriate, if anything, to offer to pay for services used?

For us, longer is better, but I definitely would never want to overstay. We have a generator and will be adding solar, so while we don't need any hookups, it would be nice. Have unlimited Verizon 4G so while we don't need to share Wi-Fi, it would be nice. I would want to offer to pay when using host services, unless it is not suggested.

I just had this conversation with my beloved aunt and she loves me very much and even then, it felt awkward to me. She loves Christmas Vacation and they remind me so much of the Griswolds, so I'd hate to be Cousin Eddie. LOL
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
22 REPLIES 22

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We lucked out last year when we went to visit family in Michigan. They insisted we stay on their several acre property and even installed a 30 amp outlet to plug into.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the way, I got a chuckle out of "mootchdocking". I never heard that before! LOL

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, if so, I apologize.

You have to make sure that the place that you want to stay does not have restrictions about having an RV in the driveway.

Other than that, I guess it depends upon your relationship with the people. We went up to visit my brother in another state. We're a family of 6. With a group that size, you can't just "drop in". LOL Anyway, their driveway was long enough to handle our 36' motorhome. The first time we went up there, we used a 20A 120V line to power the RV. We survived, but I've always said "Roughing it, for us, is not being able to use both A/Cs!" LOL. Next we went up (we were invited back, by the way! LOL) I asked if it would be OK to install a 50A 240V/120V on that side of the house. They said "Yes", I did, and that made future visits a piece of cake. A side story...they now use that outlet, with the addition of a GFCI, for their hot tub.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

cowolter
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel we also visit family and friends. The best solution for us is stay in a campground nearby. Our family and friends don't really understand and keep pushing us to park at their homes, but we don't.
https://digital-planner.com/goal/planner
We avoid blocking their driveways, tripping fuses because their homes aren't equipped for a heavy electrical supply or having to worry about getting level on a slopped driveway. We don't have to check if we are legal parking on the street or even in their driveway; plus we can dump tanks and have our own space if needed. Seems to work very well for us.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are 2 types of people in our lovely chaotic world: Givers and Takers.

Wanna see a lovefest? Watch 2 Givers try to do business with each other.

And for the Main Event round, pull up a chair and watch 2 Takers negotiate--when both are unhappy, then, in their eyes, its probably a good deal, lol.

Ask a Giver for a piece of concrete to park your RV, and they'll toss in Wifi and DirecTV, and refuse your offer to compensate.

Ask a Taker....and its all about the "me, myself and I", and of course the Benjamins.

Being a Giver, I try to ask favors from other Givers, as there will always be an opportunity for a "next time".
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some good friends - good being defined as they would be comfortable asking me, and I would be comfortable giving them an honest answer like no or yes, but only for X number of days.

If your relationship with them is not at that level, then don't bother asking.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
The fact you mentioned the longer the better, and needing to know how to ask, means you shouldn't. If you need long term, find a longterm site.
I think the suburban/rural ratio has some determination in this also. There may be HOA/City issues if its suburban, if they have a 100 acres, thats a little different.
I was sorta thinking along the same lines as you; but you put it a whole lot nicer than I could have.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fact you mentioned the longer the better, and needing to know how to ask, means you shouldn't. If you need long term, find a longterm site.
I think the suburban/rural ratio has some determination in this also. There may be HOA/City issues if its suburban, if they have a 100 acres, thats a little different.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
I've done it, only when it was offered though. Frankly I'd rather stay at a CG, it's just more comfortable and easier all around. The few times we did stay in a friend or relative's driveway, I kept it to a few days. What's the old saying - guests, like fish, start to stink after 3 days.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Asking anyone to stay on their property puts them in a bind. Nobody wants to be the bad guy so they my say “yes” even though they want to say “no”. If they don’t volunteer you need to stay elsewhere.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lol, some of the topics here…..
Guess I’ll say, if it feels awkward to ask then those aren’t the friends or family you should ask.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have some very close friends we regard as family and we spend thanksgiving with them every year and stay in their drive about a week or more.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
YC 1 wrote:
I have a second RV pad with full hookups. Includes OTAR and Direct TV if wanted.

A dear friend has spent up to two months at a time here.

We come and go and do not have to entertain each other but we often make dinners and share our favorite recipes. The last stay I warned them NOT to buy us gifts etc in return. They left a $100 bill kind of hidden when they left this time to cover electricity. I know they just had to do this to satisfy themselves and not burden us with the extra costs. It is worth it to have friends and family nearby.

I think having an extra RV pad makes a difference. They aren't taking up your vehicle space, blocking the garage, having to unplug your RV, and so on.

For the average person, using their driveway means just that. The friend/family member likely needs to park their car on the road so you can fit in the driveway.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BB_TX wrote:
Don’t ask. Let them offer. Maybe ask if they know any where fairly close where you could park your rig. When asked, that puts them in an awkward position of trying to find a way of saying no if they would rather you didn’t, or saying yes so as not to offend though they preferred you didn’t.

BINGO!!!

Don't put them in a position to feel your presence is something unpleasant.

Even if they offer, leave sooner rather than later...leave them wanting more not praying for the day you leave.

If you can afford an RV, you can afford to pay for a campsite.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I have a second RV pad with full hookups. Includes OTAR and Direct TV if wanted.

A dear friend has spent up to two months at a time here.

We come and go and do not have to entertain each other but we often make dinners and share our favorite recipes. The last stay I warned them NOT to buy us gifts etc in return. They left a $100 bill kind of hidden when they left this time to cover electricity. I know they just had to do this to satisfy themselves and not burden us with the extra costs. It is worth it to have friends and family nearby.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008