cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire inflation

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading about all the importance of keeping tire pressures at the correct level. With that in mind, I wonder if anyone or everyone carries with them a portable air-compressor? If so, what do you recommend a novice like me who needs a 110 PSI inflation on my Newmar Baystar.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
15 REPLIES 15

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for MV50. Rated 150 so 110 might be a bit slow. But then you just clip it on and let it run while you enjoy a beverage. Very light and compact compared to 120v.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a 120V compressor. First is just much more powerful and durable. Secondly its cheaper.

BTW, I use an old MV50 compressor that is the first 12v compressor that I have owned to actually work more than once on our 80psi tires.

I like the Viair products but frankly the 120V contractor models are inherently more robust. Having a TC the most we can carry is a 12v model.

Good luck.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I'll be odd man out.

I have no reason to carry a compressor and I can't see why anybody else would either.

Many full timers (like me) carry a compressor. We are always traveling and sometimes stay many months in one location. We must be way more self-sufficient then folks who only go out for a few weeks at a time. All tires slowly lose air so we need to be able to top them off. As you know I'm sure, under-inflated tires are a disaster waiting to happen.

And please don't suggest that I pull into the local Pilot or Costco and set up to check tires. For starters, the tire pressure would read inaccurate due to heat buildup and for another, if I've been in a CG in the wilds of Wyoming (for example) for the summer, it could be many miles before finding a station with air.

If I only went out for a few weeks at a time, I probably would not bother with carrying a compressor. Maybe would carry one of the inexpensive ones to inflate bike tires, swim rafts, etc.

* On edit - I carry the same compressor that STRIPIT references, except it is rebadged as a Sears Craftsman unit. But it is EXACTLY the same one. Very handy size and capacity.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be odd man out.

Nothing. Yep, nothing.

I carry a compressor in my TT and I have no idea why? In 35 years I have never used it.

Looking back, I have no reason to use it? I fill my tires up to max pressure (sometimes 10 over max) and go on vacation for 2 or 3 weeks. If my tires lose pressure over 2 or 3 weeks I have a problem with the tire and I fix the problem.

If I have a low or flat tire I change to the spare tire and go on my way to a tire shop to fix the tire that has a hole in it. After it's fixed I put it on as a spare and go on my way.

I have no reason to carry a compressor and I can't see why anybody else would either.

(Oh I guess if I was out in the desert a lot I might carry a plug kit and a compressor; but that's about it. General roads on vacation; nope don't need it.)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a Viair 400P in the truck all the time. It's 12V and will inflate up to 150 psi which is way more than I will ever need. Nice thing is that it will pump up the truck or trailer tires quick without getting hot.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a 120AC compressor along with two Honda generators. Only had to use it once, while in Death Valley.

Another time, someone else used them.

But I like to have the compressor with me. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
doxiemom11 wrote:
We are also a motorhome and need higher pressure. We carry a Porter Cable pancake compressor that will go to 150 psi. Not the huge either, rides in one of the bays.

This is the way to go IMO if you have the room in a big rig like yours. However, being someone who packs a lot of tools for "what ifs", I've never had on board air or really felt the need for just tires.
Now if you're on extended trips or full timing, it would be somewhere between very handy and a necessity. And with a contractors pancake compressor you'll have enough air to run some basic air tools...if you're not in a big hurry with them.

I did plumb an air line off my exhaust brake compressor this year, mainly cause we were going to be unloading the TC a few times and it's a challenge to load it with the air bags aired up and driving around empty with airbags aired up is not fun.
Aside from airing up the bags, it's come in handy for other people's bike tires and an atv tire that had a flat.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are also a motorhome and need higher pressure. We carry a Porter Cable pancake compressor that will go to 150 psi. Not the huge either, rides in one of the bays.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also carry a compressor. But it is not 12V
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you do a search. This gets discussed a lot.

Yes, I do carry an air compressor (Craftsman) and a couple good Milton gauges too.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 12V compressors, but TV and TT tires only lose about 1 lb a month. I visually check them at every stop but haven't needed the 12V's.

I air them up at home as needed with my 120V compressor.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many people do carry a small compressor with them.

For filling/topping off tires, a large air tank is unnecessary and can be an annoyance (as you need to wait for it to get up to pressure).

I have a Fini AirBoss, which is fairly reasonably priced and quite compact. It has a turn-off pressure of 135 pounds (and a turn-on pressure of 110 I think), so it would work for your tires, but not be ideal. I've been impressed with it so far; it's relatively quiet as small compressors go, and seems pretty well built. (I do wish to point out that "relatively quiet" is not at all the same thing as "quiet.")

For 12V powered compressors, Vair seems to have a very good reputation. On the other hand, the cheap little inflators that are available most everywhere are nearly useless for large, high-pressure tires.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
For the 8 years we were full time I carried this compressor in the basement storage bay of our 5th wheel here and it never failed. To top off the 110 psi you will need a 150 psi compressor to make your life easier. This unit was easy to carry and store, at least for my storage area, your space may be limited and then you will have to find a smaller unit.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Bobbyg2013
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small Husky unit, about $35. Plugs into my trucks electrical system. You may need a bigger unit for that much PSI. Good thing to have at any cost.