cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripped Breaker

Audioa_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Later on during our debut trip on our 2001 HR Ambassador, we were at an RV park in Pigeon Forge Tennessee the day after Christmas. We had dinner and I started the furnace. We put in a DVD and got settled down. It was still cold so I plugged in a small ceramic heater in both the front and the back. I wanted it to warm up a lot before bedtime and I wanted to do that more with the campground electricity instead of my LP. 10 minutes later I lost all power. I still had lights since they are 12VDC.

After some investigation, I discovered that a few outlets were still hot but most were not. I checked the breakers in the bedroom and they were all fine. I checked the GFCI under the dining room table and it was fine. I was at a loss. Since I still had AC for the furnace, we decided to go to bed. The next morning I continued my troubleshooting exercise. When I checked the basement compartment where the inverter is located I found there were two breaker/switches and one of those was tripped. I reset it and all was well. Even though they were in opposite ends of the RV, I had plugged both of the ceramic heaters into the same circuit without knowing it which exceeded the 20A capacity by 4 amps. Another learning experience.
We love the camping lifestyle.
11 REPLIES 11

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Our 08 Knight is wired the same. 2 15 amp circuits off the inverter run most but not all the a/c outlets.

Once I turned pulled both breakers and checked for power at every outlet. Discovered that the outlets on the "bed side" of the bedroom are on the main a/c, the "TV Side" is on the inverter. Kinda wish the bed side was on the inverter, but haven't figured out how to do it.

I have yet to map which what is on which inverter breaker. I need to do that someday. Always "assumed" the microwave is alone on one of them, but not sure.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our HitchHiker came with a list of what was what electrically. We found the list was not correct. So we spent an afternoon going through all the breakers and fuses and now have an accurate list. It is very helpful when having to do troubleshooting.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I still had AC for the furnace, we decided

I believe you will find the furnace needs 12vdc, not AC

Jim

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
My knight was setup the same way. Several outlets shared the same breaker on the inverter. Nice when heading down the road or boondocking, to power electronics/etc. But not so nice to run the heaters thorugh. I took time to find out what power was on which breaker including non inverted power and which leg of the 50A. By doing so I learned that I could run a 1500watt thermostatic controlled heater in the bedroom area on a 30A site which helped keep the overall coach warm. If I was on a 50A site add another 1500watt pointed towards the front door, but I had to use a specific set of outlets to avoid poping the breaker and stay off the inverted power.

I never tried to use them to avoid the furnace, I still wanted it to run to keep everything underneath from getting too cold (did not heat the bays but it shed heat onto the water system/etc.)
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You had two 1500 watt heaters (roughly 12 amps each) plugged into one 15 or 20 amp breaker, Yes, it tripped, that is what they call Working as designed.

Next time make sure when you plug in a portable heater it is on an outlet that is *NOT* powered via the inverter.

In fact, a suggestion... 12 amps is pushing it for many RV systems.. Though the outlets are rated for 15... 12 is pushing it.

I installed a pair of 15/20 amp breakers in my RV, one in the bedroom, one living room. These outlets have a T shaped neutral slot and will accept either 15 or 20 amp plugs. (20 amp plugs the neutral is turned sideways)

They DO NOT have any kind of hole or punch down connector but rather a screw you bend wire around and tighten down.. 12 ga wire is what I used, and it runs back to the breaker box where it has a breaker all to it self..

I also have a 3rd 20 amp outlet but it's kind of special and I won't discuss it.

These are for the heaters... No problems, no smell of hot wire either.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Knowing which outlets are on which circuits is important, as you have discovered. My rig has 3 circuits with outlets. One is a 20 amp circuit without GFI, 2 outlets in the dining area and 1 in the bedroom. One is a 20 amp circuit with GFI protection, an outside outlet, entrance door outlet, kitchen outlet, and bathroom outlet. The third is through an inverter and is only 15 amps with GFI protection, both the front and rear entertainment centers.

That is knowledge hard gained, and long remembered. Space heaters go on the two 20 amp circuits, one to a circuit, but never on the 15 amp circuit.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like to use the campground power to run out electric heaters as well. The best thing we came up with was to run a second extension cord out to the pedestal and plug into the CG 20AMP service.

This allows us to run the electric heaters off their breakers verses the RV...

The problem may be to find a spot to run the extension into the trailer without leaving an open weather hole somewhere. I was able to come thru my storage bay door and up into the bedroom thru the dirty clothes chute on my 5th wheel..

Using my off-road camper which is the trailer we use the most it is easy to come through any window flap...

Just a couple of thoughts for you..
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flat tire
Overheated brake
Tripped breaker due to overloading

And loose wiring connections

You're learning FAST :B

Welcome to the world of RVng!

Even though you have had some problems you have been able to work your way thru them....KUDOS
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our new Outback last September, I took the time to play with all the electric plugs to figure out what the camper could handle. I did the same as you, 2 heaters on the same breaker in the camper, and after a few minutes it popped and both heaters went off, but the television, microwave, etc. still worked. So I finally figured out which plugs to use so we could run 2 heaters without popping anything. Ever since my initial "exercise" in deliberately popping breakers, I've never popped another one since!

It's all a learning curve! But now you know!

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
You have learned one of the RVer's electrical juggling. 30 amp mains only can handle so much at a time. Enjoy the adventures
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that you solved your problem. It's kinda life life, it is a lifetime of learning experiences. When we quit learning we cease to exist. It sounds from your posts so far that you are really learning your MH. JMT
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH