cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your rules for the awning?

cestlaviethree
Explorer
Explorer
Do you leave your awning out when you leave?

Do you trust wind sensors?

Do you use tie downs?

We love the awning's shade and versatility even more in the summer, but we have seen 4 RVs have their awnings ripped off in the last 2 months.

Thanks CLV3

www.cestlaviethree.com

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_PTnoeqCbaPJolUwCEqXiA

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook...elpage/?fref=nf

Instagram Page:
https://www.instagra...cestlaviethree/
CLV3

Our Blog: www.cestlaviethree.com
82 REPLIES 82

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DE88ROX wrote:
Ive been camping for the better part of 24 years. Every time I set up, the awning is unrolled and its never rolled up until I leave.

Only time im in my trailer is to sleep or get get dressed. If it rains, i need some shelter. Plus, We have a few things that are always setup under the awning and im not going to pack them away every time I see a dark cloud.

I see so many people camp and never use the awning, they just sit there baking in the sun. To me, that's an extension of my living space and im going to use it as such.

To each their own....

I agree with you, however things have changed with the advent of the useless power awnings.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been camping for the better part of 24 years. Every time I set up, the awning is unrolled and its never rolled up until I leave.

Only time im in my trailer is to sleep or get get dressed. If it rains, i need some shelter. Plus, We have a few things that are always setup under the awning and im not going to pack them away every time I see a dark cloud.

I see so many people camp and never use the awning, they just sit there baking in the sun. To me, that's an extension of my living space and im going to use it as such.

To each their own....
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Two simple rules.

Nice sunny weather, bring out and enjoy shade.

Rain or wind, retract and secure, this avoids having to replace, repair torn or bent torque tube and arms or canvas.

navegator

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We also turn off the water and the water heater whenever we leave the RV
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We went 2 weeks ago to a state park, a few days before we were there they got hit really bad, an EF0 came through..pretty rare for ohio and not a full blown twister but a lot of wind. In the dumpster was an awning, when we asked they said they went around and told everyone of the coming storm (they were broadcasting it for like 8 hrs before it hit) but this guy said his is staked down and never had any problems....until that day I guess.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Ours are out all the time also day or night its your camper

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I only turn the water heater on when it is needed and shut off when done.

It takes but a few minutes to heat up. IMHO don't see a need to listen and smell the exhaust from the hot water heater propane going on and off when you don't need it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Also I turn off the water heater. Most of the time we remember to turn water heater on when we get back.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could remember to shut off the water when we leave each time. It's hit and miss for me. I totally agree with doing it that's for sure. So easy and can save a lot of trouble.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
When we leave...close the awning and shut off the water at the spigot.

Exactly 😉
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
mitw44 wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Thank goodness! I'm not the only one to shut off the water. I thought I was a paranoid delusional. Well, I'm probably still a paranoid delusional, but at least there is more than one of me.

x10!
I have first hand been parked next to two different RV's where the water was pouring out the sides of their RV while they were gone.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
mitw44 wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Thank goodness! I'm not the only one to shut off the water. I thought I was a paranoid delusional. Well, I'm probably still a paranoid delusional, but at least there is more than one of me.

+100

and +2 on paranoid delusional
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

mitw44
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

2009 F 250 XLT SC 4x4 3.73 LS 5.4L V8
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171 RBXL

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've left mine out and had to get up in the middle of the night to retract it because the wind had it flapping and the trailer was rocking.