cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will This Be a Bad Move for a New RVer?

Mooredb
Explorer
Explorer
I am totally new to owning an RVing and I have decided I need to get a toy hauler. I need it for events that I will be traveling around to throughout the year.

I found a beautiful 39ft Highlander https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZDSnCr8pc&t that I am interested in. I plan to buy a 1 ton dully to tow the trailer but here's my questions.

1) I don't have a problem driving and pulling trailers but man this is HUGE, and I am a bit worried that it might be too much for a beginner to take on. There are so many things I don't know what I don't know. I would be interested in hearing people's feedback on this size of trailer, pulling and trying to find a place to park. Is this a mistake for a beginner to start out with?

2) There are SO many different brands out there but they all seem to somewhat have the same look and feel to them. But not sure about the quality and the company. The one I am looking at is 2017 Highlander HF39RGL, does anyone have any experience with this brand? What other brands should I consider? I'll be on the road 4 months out of the year traveling and I want something that will hold up and be comfortable.

Thanks for any advice!
27 REPLIES 27

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Start small and start used. Going giant first is a huge mistake. You dont know what you dont know until s--- happens. Then its too late.

This is probably the BEST advice !

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
that is a very big TT and with all the toys you plan on putting in it I would go to a tire store and put heavy load tires on it or negotiate them in the sale. don't let the dealer tell you they are OK or the manufacturer won't put them on a TT like this. that is not true. they put on the cheapest and lightest tires made, they are marginal at best. driving is the best teacher. you can go into a wal mart or mall parking lot and practice backing and setting up. best to do that before you get into a park and really make a fool of yourself, LOL. People pull TT's like this one all the time, just take it easy and learn the characteristics of the TT.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you going to be able to park the TH at every event where you set up? If not what happens then, empty things from TH leave them there then find a place for the TH. You already have the Box trailer for your merchandise. Get a class A or class C and tow your trailer. Get a small motorcycle to throw in the trailer and your set. Want to take a trip with out your merchandise tow a small car.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Houston, visit PPL Motorhomes big huge lot on units on consignment. They let you wander around.

Jim

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Far too often, folks get their first camper and then after a couple years trade it for another one, going bigger each time. On a guess average, it's the 3rd camper we usually keep long term.

If your heart is set on this camper, then get it. You'll learn! It will come and some day you'll be skipping down the highway of life and say to your self, "Hey, why was I so skeptical back then? There's nothing to this!"

Get the one you really want the first time and the learning curve will come. And by the way .... everyone on these forums has made RV-ing flub-ups, even if they don't want to admit it! We'll all had our own shares of "Oops! Did I really do that?" moments. We live through it and learn. That's what makes us better and more aware. So the best advise, always keep a bit of apprehension and you'll always do "it" right!

Get the one of your heart! And take it slow!

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be the dissenting voice- I went from essentially no towing experience to owning a 20' pop-up camper for a season (used from April to October for 30 nights) and then jumped up to a 42' fifth wheel. Based on a lot of reading and watching Youtube videos, the only "oops" moments were relatively minor.

Now, my first handful of parkings were an absolute **** show. 😄

Given that you have experience with cargo trailers and maneuvering them, I'd say jump into what you think you'll need to be comfortable. Take it slow and try to learn as much as you can ahead of time.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Mooredb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice everyone! Good to hear. I'll for sure start digging around in the forums for the different brands and get a feel of questions for sure. I am in the Houston, Texas area and I'll look around for some training. I've driven 14 foot cargo trailers with a 1/2 ton truck across the country but nothing to this size. I have traveled around 8-10 hours a day driving the 14' trailers and feel comfortable.

The main reason I am looking at a toy hauler is because I travel to air shows and I need the space to carry my merchandise/tent/setup around. I am currently using a 14' cargo trailer now but I am getting tried of sleeping at hotels and throwing away money. Then also would like the freedom to be able to spend a week or so on vacation after the show around the area before heading back home. So I'll more than likely be on the road about 2-3 weeks at time per show. I started out looking at a slide in camper top for my truck but realized I would have to at least upgrade to 3/4 ton and then pull my cargo trailer behind it. But then started looking at toy haulers and liked the idea of getting with the extra space inside the trailer.

I am 100% planning to buy a dually to pull the trailer with. Looking into Chev and Ford.

Just getting my feet wet but will certainly keep doing my homework before pulling the trigger.

Thank you all.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Start small and start used. Going giant first is a huge mistake. You dont know what you dont know until s--- happens. Then its too late.
Do not let the glitz of a monster RV sway you. Starting off small you can learn what you do and dont like. What works for your lifestyle and family. Besides to handle something like that you would probably need a dually. Got one of those?

x2
Kevin

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
What’s the payload, toys and people?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mooredb wrote:
I am totally new to owning an RVing and I have decided I need to get a toy hauler. I need it for events that I will be traveling around to throughout the year.

I found a beautiful 39ft Highlander https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZDSnCr8pc&t that I am interested in. I plan to buy a 1 ton dully to tow the trailer but here's my questions.

1) I don't have a problem driving and pulling trailers but man this is HUGE, and I am a bit worried that it might be too much for a beginner to take on. There are so many things I don't know what I don't know. I would be interested in hearing people's feedback on this size of trailer, pulling and trying to find a place to park. Is this a mistake for a beginner to start out with?

2) There are SO many different brands out there but they all seem to somewhat have the same look and feel to them. But not sure about the quality and the company. The one I am looking at is 2017 Highlander HF39RGL, does anyone have any experience with this brand? What other brands should I consider? I'll be on the road 4 months out of the year traveling and I want something that will hold up and be comfortable.

Thanks for any advice!

1) There are RV driving schools - you can look for one in your area. Your local RV dealer may even be able to refer you to one. Most of the instructors I've run into are former or retired commercial truck drivers. Your profile doesn't say what state you live in, but 13 or 14 states out of the 50 require a special drivers license to drive the weight of rig you are contemplating. (One state even requires a commercial drivers license or CDL!). Here's a list of states and requirements:

ChangingGears state list

2) A good way to find out about people's experience with and customer service for a particular brand of RV is to join the owners' group for that particular brand or company. Search their forums and read, read, read before you start posting questions - you'll have a better idea of what to ask.

Keep in mind that most toy haulers give up a lot of living space to the garage and, as a result, the living area is not laid out as well as a non-toyhauler floorplan. What are you needing to haul in the garage space?

One brand I'm very familiar with that has a very good reputation for customer service is Grand Design. You might want to look at their Momentum line of toy haulers (and even their Solitude 376TH which has a more standard floorplan and a smaller garage underneath the bedroom). Again, join the Grand Design Owners Forum to read and ask questions.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not let the glitz of a monster RV sway you. Starting off small you can learn what you do and dont like. What works for your lifestyle and family. Besides to handle something like that you would probably need a dually. Got one of those?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can’t comment on the brand, but if you have some experience towing trailers, it’s not the end of the world IMO. You’re planning on a sufficient truck to pull with.
Your learning curve and confidence will go up with every mile. Start off easy and you’ll be fine.

On the road 4 months a year will get you plenty of seat time and experience quickly.
Personally once you get into the 30’ plus range, spacial concerns are similar when parking and maneuvering so i don’t see it being a lot different unless you were to start off with a small trailer, which doesn’t sound like it fits your needs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered renting a TT or TH and TV to test your abilities? That’s a bunch of trailer and truck for a newbie. Dry camping and boondocking will be limited in that size rig. What are these “events?” What will you be loading in the TH?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad