cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 ton towing advice

Jthornto
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - I have a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with 5.3L and 3:42 gears. The owners manual indicates a max towing capability of 9500 lbs for my model but I'm looking for some user advise as to what I can really expect to comfortably tow. We are looking at a 30' TT with a dry weight of about 5500 lbs and a GVWR of 7000. The RV dealers I've talked to say that weight will be "no problem" but they aren't the ones out there on the road.

Has anyone out there had experience with a truck similarly equipped towing this weight or more? It's only me and my wife traveling and we don't anticipate adding much in the way of additional weight. I don't intend to buy a new truck so I'm looking for what weights folks with experience would be comfortable hauling.

Thanks in advance!
Jim T.
Lago Vista, TX
38 REPLIES 38

Jthornto
Explorer
Explorer
Some great additional responses and recommendations to consider. We do hope to do a western trek so maybe going a bit smaller is wiser. Thanks all!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like some of the other responses, my setup is almost exact as yours. I have a 2011 Sierra, 3.42 rear end, tow package, trans cooler, WD hitch, short bed crew cab. My trailer is 26 ft (30 ft tongue to bumper), Dry weight 5200. Loaded Im at 6200(ish). Im within all the weight restrictions on my truck (GVWR, GAWR, Hitch weight). It tows comfortably but I honestly would not want to go any larger. I am in relatively flat terrain, but I already believe that when I start doing my westward/north westward treks that I will probably want a 3/4 ton. Im okay for the next year or two and not in a hurry to upgrade, as I feel totally safe and totally in control. I just know that eventually I will want to upgrade the truck.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
6500-7000 pounds is a good/comfortable weight for the more capable half tons. Get a WDH with integrated sway control and a proportional brake controller. Use tow/haul mode. I also like to use what GM calls manual mode, to limit top gear to 5th, sometimes 4th. That eliminates the extra downshifting/engine braking.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2013 Chevy same set up. I was pulling 5,000 TT and had the bed loaded about 150 lb over rear axle spec. It pulled good and would get up and go on the expressway but I wouldn't want to tow more. Towing 6,000 might be ok for me but I liked it at 5,000. It also matters if you are only going 50 miles to local stuff.

Big difference between what they say you can do and what you want to do mile after mile. There is a guy sitting next to us right now pulling a Cougar FW with that same 1/2 ton truck. We are in the Black Hills!!!!

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
I forgot to include the weights for our trailer.
Trailer GVW 7000
Brochure trailer 5005 tongue 780
as shipped trailer 5400
When in use trailer 6600 tongue 1200

At 1200 TW, plus WD hitch, aren't you over the max for GM trucks? My truck says 1200 max.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a similar setup. You should be fine. As others have stated, get a good WD hitch and don't tow at high speeds.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to include the weights for our trailer.
Trailer GVW 7000
Brochure trailer 5005 tongue 780
as shipped trailer 5400
When in use trailer 6600 tongue 1200
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2012 version of your truck. Our trailer is similar in size to the one you are looking at. With this combination we have travelled about 5 months per year for the last 3 years for a total of over 30 000 miles. We been to the Atlantic provinces, Key West and San Diego twice. Our setup tows very well.We do not get pushed around by passing transports at all - in fact the majority of the time I can't feel any effect.

With the Rear Living room all storage is at the front so tongue weight does climb. We have an Equalizer 1400/14000.I had a 1200/1200 for the first 2 years but switched up since the tongue weight was up at the top for the 1200. Both were stable.

The engine does rev on long steep grades but the Chev small block is built to do that.

I always use tow/haul ( and turn truck headlights on).

I think based on my experience you should be fine.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a crew cab (4dr) with short box

The thing with crew cab is you can go over axle ratings fast. But depends on the truck...

Example:::

Your axles are 3900 lbs each from door tag

Full tank of fuel, passengers, gear. Your weight at scales says 3200 lbs...

That means 700 lbs left for tongue weight... Hummmm 800 plus lb TW of trailer your looking at...

May be over axles and I never advise that ever!!!!

Although the WD hitch may move some off its often not enough when borderline...

My advice before you buy anything...

Fill tank, put 4 people in truck, and some gear. Get weighed at a cat scale. two axle weights. Then take the axle weights on your door tag and subtract from your scale weights...

That will tell you what you can and should tow...

Also post your tire max psi and weight ratings...

And also post your hitch ratings with WD...( should be a tag)
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
5500lb dry will put you around 6600 wet. I would do it with my 04 F150. Should be good. As for the 30' thing. Again, not a problem. My APEX is a little OVER 30'. Follows the F150 just like it is supposed to. I have no sway at all. I do have the hitch setup correctly, as any one who tows should. I have a relaxed easy tow. It don't wiggle shake or wobble. Solid is the best word for how it tows.

Also the trucks passing doesn't jerk me around. I can feel "some" of them. But they don't move me.

As for light weight. I wouldn't consider 5500 dry light. And weight doesn't have any thing to do with quality. Mine came in 4811lb dry. GVWR of 7400. Modern manufacturing materials are making RV lighter all the time. Mine is made from AZDEL. 50% lighter than wood laminate, 50% higher insulation value, and stronger than wood laminate. The light weight material is an upgrade over heavier RVs.

Honestly. I see no reason why the TT you have chosen would give you any cause to rethink. weight really doesn't come into play while running down the road. It is mostly the front wall that holds the TV back, and hurts the MPG. If you like the TT. Go for it. As long as it is inside your weight capacities. You should have no troubles. Just take your time, and get the hitch correct. Which you would have to do with a 23' TT as well.

BTW. My last TT was 27' and 200lb heavier. Both tow pretty much the same. Both are a easy stress free tow. Both have the same effect on the MPG of the TV.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jthornto
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a crew cab (4dr) with short box

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
As one or two mentioned, check the payload of your truck.

Not apples to apples, but my "half ton" max tow literally has ONE TON of payload. I pull a 27' foot bunkhouse, no problem.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
Jthornto wrote:
To answer lawrosa'so question - we were looking at a 2014 KZ Spree 280RLS. Total length was 30' and change.

With en empty weight of 5000 and a gross of 7000 its not a horrible choice, I've seen worse. I would consider this to be your max. It's really a personal choice. Do you want more comfort when traveling or more comfort when parked at your destination? It's really hard to know what you want if you've never done this before. Plenty of us have traded after our first year because what we thought we liked turned out to be wrong. I know I did.
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine.. Dont know what your payload is but a WD hitch and 1000 lbs bars at a minimum.

Is this a 4 door?

600 plus lb hitch weight on the TT so lets say 800-900 loaded propane and batts and gear..

Youll feel flat in the rear imo but will pull it fine ..

That is a light trailer for a 28 footer..

When they are light like that IMO the quality is not quite there..

Set up the WD hitch right and get to the scales to fine tune and enjoy camping!!!!!!
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Jthornto
Explorer
Explorer
To answer lawrosa'so question - we were looking at a 2014 KZ Spree 280RLS. Total length was 30' and change.