Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport - 4 down

thankdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone - we have a two part question we hope someone can assist with -

We have been towing our 2004 Jeep Wrangler X 2 door Automatic trans for the last several years using a Demco tow bar and base plate with no problems.

We just got a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4 door Automatic trans and would like to tow this one 4 down as well b/c we leave the 2 door in our 2nd home location over the Summer.

In reading the newer model manual it seems a little different protocol from the old Jeep. Can someone who has this same year/model help me clarify the steps and if there is anything I need to know thats different?

ALSO we cannot recall where to go to get the best deal (and correct model) on a base plate for the new Jeep and a 2nd Demco tow bar (left the tow bar in the other Jeep - ooops). Any online recommendations to locate the correct model that fits this Jeep?

Overwhelmed by studying Google searches for three days and getting confused.

TIA

Lynn
Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Dog show mobile + Jeep 4-DR Wrangler toad
13 REPLIES 13

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
campmansd wrote:
Jerry0312 wrote:

The primary reason for the key in Acc position is to power the brake antiskid system. It would be very easy to flat spot a set of toad tires if you ever have to make a panic stop. For this reason, I still have the key in Acc.

Can I ask you what is the source of this information? It seems unlikely that the ABS system would be powered in the accessory key position, but perhaps it's intentionally designed for flat towing that way. I'll test mine tomorrow and see what happens.

Update: I tested this today on my 2014 Wrangler with some simulated panic stops on loose surfaces. Key on ABS works as designed. Key in ACC position, no ABS- wheels locked up.

* This post was edited 06/11/14 04:49pm by Ductape *

2014 Newmar 2903 towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Seeing the world.

So what is the right answer to key in acc position ????? Leave in or take out? I have a 2010 wrangler and the book does say leave in ACC pos. but my wheels do not lock so can I take out the key?????

We've never used the key and don't see how they could lock up with the READYBRAKE surge system and the tires look good so far after about 10K miles of towing. I mean as soon as the toad is no longer catching up with the coach, the toad brake releases and it's all done pretty quick like.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

campmansd
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry0312 wrote:

The primary reason for the key in Acc position is to power the brake antiskid system. It would be very easy to flat spot a set of toad tires if you ever have to make a panic stop. For this reason, I still have the key in Acc.

Can I ask you what is the source of this information? It seems unlikely that the ABS system would be powered in the accessory key position, but perhaps it's intentionally designed for flat towing that way. I'll test mine tomorrow and see what happens.

Update: I tested this today on my 2014 Wrangler with some simulated panic stops on loose surfaces. Key on ABS works as designed. Key in ACC position, no ABS- wheels locked up.

* This post was edited 06/11/14 04:49pm by Ductape *

2014 Newmar 2903 towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler. Seeing the world.

So what is the right answer to key in acc position ????? Leave in or take out? I have a 2010 wrangler and the book does say leave in ACC pos. but my wheels do not lock so can I take out the key?????

Jerry0312
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update Ductape. My info came as a result of my question during the purchase of the 2014. I stand corrected.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry0312 wrote:

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry0312 wrote:
We currently tow a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. You are correct about the steering lock, it was removed in 07-08. The primary reason for the key in Acc position is to power the brake antiskid system. It would be very easy to flat spot a set of toad tires if you ever have to make a panic stop. For this reason, I still have the key in Acc.

Never thought of that as the reason for the key, but still don't see it as a problem with pulling it 10K miles so far, including mountain terrain and quite a few hard stops when signal lights go yellow on you.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Jerry0312
Explorer
Explorer
We currently tow a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. You are correct about the steering lock, it was removed in 07-08. The primary reason for the key in Acc position is to power the brake antiskid system. It would be very easy to flat spot a set of toad tires if you ever have to make a panic stop. For this reason, I still have the key in Acc.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
thankdog wrote:
Thank you to all answers - I have found everything - I used the above suggested websites and found a great price on towbar and harness kit. You guys are a terrific resource THANK YOU!

I have one final question - do any of you use any protection on your toad to protect the paint/windshield from rocks, etc.

Our previous 2004 Wrangler got some road rash on the front from rocks and gravel. When we bought the Rubi, we bought the protect a tow setup. You are pretty well stuck buying from the manufacturer. Couldn't find any secondary suppliers on the Internet. A bit pricey in my opinion for the materials. Not shabbily made just a good profit margin for the manufacturer. Easy storage, good protection, east setup and take off. No damage to Rubi in several thousand mile.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

alageezer
Explorer
Explorer
thankdog wrote:

I have one final question - do any of you use any protection on your toad to protect the paint/windshield from rocks, etc.

Prior to the Jeep, I towed a Chevy Equinox for about 18k miles, and nary a scratch with no protection.
2011 Bounder Classic

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
alageezer wrote:
Just bought a Wrangler Unlimited also, and am curious to what you learn. Book says to leave key in Acc and disconnect neg. battery cable. What I don't understand is a 14 model does not have a locking steering wheel, so why would you need to leave the key?

Are we to believe that the manuals still have not caught up to all the changes and know that they had not for quite a while there? The skid plate removal in the later JK's created quite a controversy and even more so with the manual's description of such.....Missing skid plate

thankdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all answers - I have found everything - I used the above suggested websites and found a great price on towbar and harness kit. You guys are a terrific resource THANK YOU!

Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Dog show mobile + Jeep 4-DR Wrangler toad

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 2012 Rubicon. Same protocol as yours. No key in ignition. Transfer case in neutral. Transmission in park. Wiring harness is a do it yourself if you buy a harness from Cooltech at http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_tow_harness_kit.shtml. It is plug and play stupid. I bought a used cooltech and Blueox baseplate used on eBay for $135. Used local mechanic to install baseplate. Check on Craigs List, eBay, iRV2 etc.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought one and installed the baseplates, wiring, etc. I bought the baseplates (roadmaster) from PPL motorhomes. Their price was as good as anyone else's and I've ordered from them in the past with good results. I got the wiring harness from cool-tech. It was pretty simple to install as well. I ordered the deluxe kit which also came with a negative battery disconnect. I later found out that there is no steering lock so you don't need to leave the key in to keep the steering unlocked. Hence, I did not install the battery disconnect. I did verify by turning the wheel while the key was out and it did not lock the steering. Other than that, I plan to follow the owner's manual for the instructions on how to set up for flat towing. I have never towed my or any other jeep before so it will be a first. I used to tow a Nissan frontier crew cab a while back, so I know what to expect with that much weight. Good luck with yours.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

alageezer
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Wrangler Unlimited also, and am curious to what you learn. Book says to leave key in Acc and disconnect neg. battery cable. What I don't understand is a 14 model does not have a locking steering wheel, so why would you need to leave the key?
2011 Bounder Classic