cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2500HD ride

Les_Steward
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 2500 HD Cummins Diesel GMC and tow a 10,000 lb bumper pull. I have added two leaf springs on each side of truck. What can I do to improve the bumpy ride while towing the trailer?
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Les Steward wrote:
Thanks guys! This will really help...Obviously I need some serious help ! Thanks again!

Les, youโ€™ve obviously taken a bit of ribbing for your post. And some( me included) thought it was maybe a spam post.
So, yes, you donโ€™t really explain much in your post/question, but in general, a 10klb TT will not need any suspension enhancements on the truck. Maybe a bit if youโ€™re towing it weight carrying on the hitch and no weight distribution.
If youโ€™re using a wdh even remotely correctly, you have too stiff of a rear suspension for the load. (Other things like weight in the truck bed notwithstanding)
Analyze why you added the helper springs and decide if they are needed.
Likely answer is they are not and removing them and letting the trucks suspension do the work like it should will result in a better more compliant ride.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer and truck are almost identical to yours. Get rid of the extra leaf springs. I assume you already have a wd hitch.

I added 4 good shocks, absolutely the first step. I then added some things called stable loads. They basically engage the overload springs. And the biggest improvement was a gen-y hitch coupler. I separates the truck and trailer by inserting a vertical pivot point. They are incredibly heavy but they work. A road near my house that I had to slow to 40 I can now run at 60. My neck no longer aches after driving 30 minutes.
Itโ€™s well worth the money and weight, IMO!

Les_Steward
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! This will really help...Obviously I need some serious help ! Thanks again!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Les Steward wrote:
I have a 2012 2500 HD Cummins Diesel GMC and tow a 10,000 lb bumper pull. I have added two leaf springs on each side of truck. What can I do to improve the bumpy ride while towing the trailer?

Switch back to a Duramax, remove the extra leaf springs.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds as if you were trying to mitigate sag by adding an extra set of leafs and created a stiffer ride.

With only a 1200# tounge "roughly", a properly setup WDH with properly rated trunnion bars would transfer some weight to the front axle and take the sag out of the rear.

I'd remove the added leafs and put my money on a reputable WDH before any other alterations.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Les Steward wrote:

Hmmm...... my older '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins quad cab has LT265/70-17" E tires.
I've found this trucks front tire work best with 65 psi in the front regardless of weight on the rear axle such as my 11200lb 5th wheel trailer....a 14k and 16k GN trailer.... 10k bumper pull trailer.

With a empty truck I run 45 psi in the rear tires. My 5th wheel trailer adds 2200-2400 lbs on the rear tire and 70-75 psi works best for these tires.
The 16k GN triaxle trailer hitch load is close to max rear axle/wheel/rear spring pack loads so I use 80 psi in the rears.

My 10k car hauler can have different equipment on it so hitch loads can be 1800 lbs or sometimes 1000 lbs depending on how everything is placed on the deck.

Why the extra springs with just a 10k bumper pull trailer ??

If the truck is pogo sticking in the rear then new shocks would be a good idea.
Extra Springs/bags can be a butz kicker with certain sizes of trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Do you currently use a weight distribution hitch? If so I agree with the others to remove the added springs and spend some time adjusting the weight distribution hitch. I would look into adjustments before putting down any money on new anything.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Never had that issue with our 12 Cummings Powermax. Try KYB Monomax shocks. I put some on our 12 Dodge Ram and they worked great and are cheaper than Bilstiens.
Like others have said drop the springs and add or adjust the weight distribution hitch.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Les Steward wrote:

Get rid of the leaf springs, install Bilstein's on 4 corners and add air bags. Trick is to set with just enough air to have a level ride.

Also air your tires based on actual loaded weights. Use tire weight/inflation chart for your tires. add 5psi to rears and 10 to fronts to what the chart says.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Well if you have a Cummins engine you have a Ram, if it is a GMC it should be a Duramax. Springs donโ€™t fix bounce a good set of shocks should fix excessive bounce. Bilstein is a great towing shocks.

Stiffer springs make for a rougher ride unless the load increases proportionally. Since a 2500 should have no issues with the hitch weight of a 10k trailer, you made it more stiff.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take the two springs you added off, buy a weight distribution hitch, install it and get it adjusted properly, and youโ€™ll improve your ride by leaps and bounds.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Well if you have a Cummins engine you have a Ram, if it is a GMC it should be a Duramax. Springs donโ€™t fix bounce a good set of shocks should fix excessive bounce. Bilstein is a great towing shocks.

I just replaced a set of shocks on my truck. Bilstein is the brand for me and has been since truck was new.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you add leaf springs? A 10,000 pound trailer probably has a 1,200 to 1,500 pound tongue weight. That should be well withing the payload capacity of a 2500. Are you using a WDH? Is it adjusted right? I agree, put some good shocks on it, Bilstein or KYB Mono Max.
How much air are you running in your tires? If you have them inflated to 80 psi it is likely too much. Weigh the axles and consult a tire load inflation chart and inflate accordingly. I would be 65 or 70 psi would be about right.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
9 year old shocks may need replacing. Koni is also a good shock.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob