Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

63 year old killed by mama grizzly in Yellowstone

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
NPR story.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
38 REPLIES 38

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It kinda reminds me of what was last said about Tristan, in Legends of the Fall.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read in the paper this morning that they have used DNA to identify the sow that killed the hiker, and euthanized her. The cubs will be placed in a zoo, if possible.

The sow killed the hiker, ate part of him, and hid the rest. That is not usual bear behavior. The cubs also ate some of the hiker.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
In this case, I wonder if somehow the hiker got inbetween the cub and the mom while on the trail.

Could be. Could also just stumble into one when it decides your presence is a threat. Some Yellowstone bears have been around man and aren't very skittish. Just like people, there are some that will just be ornery and will be aggressive. The problem with an encounter with an adult 600 lb. grizzly is that it is powerful, thinks it's the king of the forest, and has enough claw to tear you up quickly. A knife and bear spray may thwart an attack but the fighting would probably be over before you could get either in your hand.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
I was fishing with kids nearby at Gull Point Drive in July, and we did see some deer. We carried bear spray and knives for defense though. I feel bad, but he should have probably been prepared with defensive items and bell. Sad either way though and I pray for him and his family.

Dean

A bell or knife will not protect you from a grizzly. Even bear sprays have to be used in proper conditions. Try using it when the wind is blowing in your direction. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, a bear has to be very close to you for bear spray to be effective. If a grizzly is that close, especially with cubs, you don't have a chance.

In this case, I wonder if somehow the hiker got inbetween the cub and the mom while on the trail.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I was fishing with kids nearby at Gull Point Drive in July, and we did see some deer. We carried bear spray and knives for defense though. I feel bad, but he should have probably been prepared with defensive items and bell. Sad either way though and I pray for him and his family.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was in Yellowstone, camped in a small out-of-the-way campground (can't remember the name), I decided to go stream fishing. I followed the footpath out of the campsite and when I got to the first footbridge there were those bear warning signs on the other side of the bridge. No problem, this closer side looks like it will work. I walked back along the stream trying to find a good pool to fish but after a good bit of slogging, I didn't find a one. Looking across the stream, I saw the nice paved walking trail and thought, "oh what the heck". I crossed the stream and walked along that trail until I saw the cave in the bluff, the large amount of warning stakes, and the four lodgepole pines surrounding the deer carcass with claw marks 10' up on the trees. the last 300 yds or so to the footbridge was at a dead run.

It;'s not nice to fool with Mother Nature and it's even worse to invade her house.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a list of all bear attacks. Pretty scary reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
First Bear death in YS since like 1916.

Not so. Here is a link to the National Park Service web site that lists fatalities from bear attacks in Yellowstone.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/injuries.htm

When we were there in 2011, a section was closed due to a RECENT fatality, and a section of road had a large sign saying "DO NOT STOP CAR DUE TO BEAR ACTIVITY", or some such.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
This wasn't really a thread anyway since there wasn't really an opening post.

In many of the forums I check a link without any commentary would be close immediately as a "drive by."

Sometimes I reply to those no-commentary posts just to keep them open and so that the poster isn't sitting there looking like Billy No-Mates.

That's likely why our post total is inflated.

And if our friend Naio isn't upset about her post going OT, why should it be a big deal to anyone else, really. Conversations evolve.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I took my kids to Yellowstone in 1984 we never saw a bear. I took my GS there last month and saw 9 bears in one night including 2 grizzlies. Saw many more buffalo and elk also. So I think there is a lot more animals today to interact with.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I feel sorry for the guy's family, but bears do what bears do. It's not like the park posting a sign saying "Don't Eat the Tourists" would help.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

et2
Explorer
Explorer
What in the world happened to the grizzly post? Good god a man died. It's funny how threads get side tracked at times :?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What happened with SkipnChar? With a quick search all I found was another thread asking where is SkipnChar.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think SkipnChar probably leads all time. Was sorry to hear it when he lost her.
Puma 30RKSS