cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

full time rving and running the water heater

SGT_Price
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie to all this, bought a 2016 keystone montana as a home on the road for work. Wondering what is best for the water heater, turn it off when i get out of the shower and turn it back on in the morning, or just let it run 24/7? Your thoughts please.
17 REPLIES 17

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Our electric water heater gets turned off when we leave (when we remember).

At a CoE in FL there was a sign requesting that people turn off their electric water heaters unless they were using them.

We have an AquaHot system (that burns diesel instead of propane) for heating water. We leave that off unless we are going to need hot water for showers.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

BigSur2
Explorer
Explorer
If i had ONLY gas I might try to save and turn it off when I'm gone for the day but I have elec so I leave it unless gone for days at a time.
BigSur2
2016 Jayco White Hawk 33RSKS

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
As full-timers if we were dry camping we turned it on for showers then turned it off. We paid for that propane. It doesn't hurt to wash your hands during the day with cold or lukewarm water. The water stays warm a long time - even enough for dish time.

If you use RV parks and electric is included, then leave it on.

When you lived in a house did you turn it off? I assume you paid for the fuel then also?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No right/wrong way........just your way. What works/fits your need.

I like HOT water when I turn faucet on to hot side. I did not want to have to plan when to have hot water.

We FTd for 7 yrs. Prior to that camped for 40 yrs.
Hot water heater was turned ON when it was filled with water. Turned back off when done using RV.

Cost.......never was part of equation as it was about my convenience and ability to have hot water when I turned faucet/shower ON.

When AC power was available.......I used electric element
When AC power wasn't available or had to be 'managed' I used propane
And if I needed more hot water availability I used electric/propane at same time for faster recovery time

RV water heaters (Suburban or Atwood) will last for many many years with just routine maintenance.

Use yours as you want....and don't worry about warranties etc.
IF/when something breaks....fix it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
With 50 amp service, I would just leave it on electric all the time. I mainly dry camp and turn off the propane water heater before I go to bed and turn it back on when making morning coffee, leaving it on all day. Don't like falling asleep with the propane water heater on as its right by my door. Don't want a nocturnal critter mess it up and start a fire. I know, not likely. But I sleep better.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Run it until it cycles and then have a shower. Turn it off and there will be water that is warm enough to do the supper dishes.

If you can run it for no additional electrical charge, just leave it on. Otherwise turn it off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Turn on the hot water, the fridge, the air conditioner, and the lights.. but wait.. are you on a meter.. turn off the fridge, the air conditioner, the hot water and the lights..

Either way will only adjust your camping night by a few scant dollars.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

SGT_Price
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your speedy responses. I am on a 50 amp service, full hookup. I didn't buy the 5 year extended warranty. Was that a bad decision?

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If you are dry camping and trying to conserve propane, you should only turn it on right before it's needed. When doing dishes, you'll use less propane if you heat one gallon of water in a pan on the stove vs. the 6 gallons in the water heater. If you really want to conserve propane, you can purchase a solar hot water heater.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
If we are at a site with 50AMP electric, we leave it on electric; 30AMP electric, we turn it(electric) on when needed. If we have no electric and are running on propane, we turn it on propane as needed.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
As full-timers if we were dry camping we turned it on for showers then turned it off. We paid for that propane. It doesn't hurt to wash your hands during the day with cold or lukewarm water. The water stays warm a long time - even enough for dish time.

If you use RV parks and electric is included, then leave it on.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Treat it just like you do at home. turn it on and leave it on.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
On when I park, Off when I leave.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have the electric element so I always leave mine on. Seems that if I turn it off I will always forget to turn it back on. I have noticed that the water stays hot for quite some time and I do not hear the burner kick on. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH