cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

70 years old should have limit on miles per day.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 70 now, so I know that 70 years old is time to cut back on my miles driven per day.
I have set my limit at 300 miles per day, no more ever in one day.At 75 that drops to 200 miles per day.
Please pass it along.
So big a world, so little time to see.
82 REPLIES 82

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
When I turn 80 yrs. old, I'm going to find a nice looking, congenial and capable woman half my age to drive my 45' Prevost that I will treat myself to for reaching this milestone birthday. I don't care if we ever leave town then!

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to the OP for having the common sense and wherewithal to self impose limits! Everyone should be smart enough to look in the mirror and set limits, based on the reality of their capabilities.......
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
70 years old should have limit on miles per day

Done. You are now limited to 300 miles per day. For this privilege you now have to pay an additional $30 per year, which will increase almost every year and will have significant restrictions on the days you can travel and to where.

Just like fishing licenses here in PA :R :B

Congratulations, the nanny state has heard your plea ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about automatic limits on miles, but I do know I plan on limiting my daily driving to about 300 miles early next year when I head cross country.

However that is not a hard and fast rule. For one thing, if I'm still feeling good, and there is still plenty of day light left, I could go further. on the other hand, if I'm a little tired, or a good place to stop is a little short of 300 miles, but the next best place to stop is a lot of miles further than 300, then I'll stop early.

The biggest benefit of being retired next year is I don't have to rush to be at any place, and I don't have time constraints on when I have to return.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
There are some 25 year-olds out there that shouldn't drive more than 20 miles a day! At the opposite end of the scale, a transit driver at the agency I worked at was still putting in a full 8-hour day when he eventually retired as he approached his 80th birthday.

I my case (at 71), I get serious leg cramps at about 150 miles, so I tend to keep below 250 a day, with the last 75 being done with increasingly frequent stops for stretching.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Tom T says In the end its all about old dogs and children and watermelon wine
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about if when you reach 73, and you can pass a driving test plus a physical exam, the taxpayers reward you with a significant increase in your pay?
IMO driving my motorhome is a pleasure. I love it, and it's relaxing. Flying, in the left seat (in cockpit), does the same,.....except noboby will hire me......:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it matter what age anyone is...Drive less, stop more often will result in more fun, more sights seen and happier people.

We like 300 miles &/or 6 hours too. We've done more and done less.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
At that rate you won't make it out of Fla before your 70.

bertnspike wrote:
I've recently returned from a trip to California. In fact, I've put 10,000 miles on the RV in the last year. I am a strong proponent of the 2x2x2 rule, plus I add a couple of 2s, like staying for 2 days or 2 weeks...

My "rule of 2s": Leave 2 hours after peak rush hour. Drive no more than 2 hours at a stretch. Try to keep it under 200 miles a day. Stop for the night 2 hours before peak rush hour. Fill it up when there are 2/4 of a tank of gas left. Stay for 2 nights if not a destination, stay for 2 weeks if it is.

I did stay in CA for a month visiting my sister. My Rule of 2s assures that I'm never exhausted from traveling and I'm never under pressure. It works for me & keeps the fun in RVing. I'm retired! What's my hurry? So what if it takes me 3 days to get to Georgia from Central Florida? It takes me more than a week to get to my daughter's place in New Jersey. So?

Setup is a breeze because it's still light outside and I'm not worn out from the road. Break down is a breeze because I don't have a deadline. If I'm gonna tire myself out it will be on tourism, not driving. Getting a spot even on holidays is fairly easy too, because I'm arriving quite early in the day. I was only turned away once in the last year, and the RV park down the road had plenty of spaces.

I'd be worn out trying to travel by all your rules. Too many rules, not enough relaxing.

homelesshobo
Explorer
Explorer
You cant insult the op.

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
I just retired this year, and I am 45, I have no DESIRE do drive more than 250-300 miles a day. We are really taking the time to explore. But, if I DO need to be somewhere at a certain date, I plan accordingly. Like now. We are at a repair Shop. I might have to do a day or 2 of marathon driving to be where I have to be next week.

Basically, we just roll with the punches, and enjoy every day as it comes.

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
homelesshobo wrote:
Seriously, isn't this one of those threads being discussed in another thread about useless threads? But then sees who started it and that partially explains it's existence.

So why are you even posting on it? I don't understand people like you that Bytch and moan about others posting useless thread, yet find the time to comment. Just move on, and save us all the aggravation. And what, exactly, did slinging an insult at the OP accomplish?

homelesshobo
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously, isn't this one of those threads being discussed in another thread about useless threads? But then sees who started it and that partially explains it's existence.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I plan my trips for about 300 miles/day. By leaving about 8 AM, driving about 60 MPH, and with increasingly frequent rest stops for potty breaks, that gets me to my next FHU CG by about 3PM, avoiding the need for a reservation except for my final destination. I'm retired, so time doesn't matter a lot. If I'm ahead of schedule, I'll stay another night somewhere along the way. If behind, I'll go a little farther for a couple of days. Works for me.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.