cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C Question

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Ok all you guru's out there, got a question concerning A/C's. I know with a fridge, you have to be somewhat level to operate it. Does the same go for the A/C?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The A/C will operate at any angle between right side up and upside down, Though there can be a few issues.. here is hot to prevent them (Upside down is not recommended by the way read on as to why)

As the air is cooled it gives up excess moisture, the air coming off the evaporator coils (Cold,indoor coils) is always nearly 100% humidity.. believe it or not, The excess water that it can no longer hold drips down into a drip tray under the evaporator coils. then runs back and out onto the roof.

On the Carrier Air V. the drip lip is in the rear.. The Advent Air, it's on the driver's side.

If the A/C is operated so the drip lip is HIGHTER than the front of the drip tray, Bad things happen. (It rains INSIDE your RV)

Upside down eventually water will build up in the cooling chamber, (Why it is not a good idea).

That is why when you see 'em on a 5-er roof at an angle it is usually Front high.

That said, the system operates normally no matter what the angle, it's only the disposal of the condensate that may be an issue and a very quick visual with the cover off will tell you what the danger "unlevel" is...Oh, while you have the cover off expose the condenser coils (hot outdoor coils) and clean them. Makes it work better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have a window type AC unit like we do in our class B.

You should be almost level when running it. I know this as we had to replace TWO units before we were advised.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

homelesshobo
Explorer
Explorer
I would be very leary of using a 12 gauge extension cord to run the a.c on.

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the condensate water is draining properly.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A/Cs are compressor based which means that they are far more tolerant to off-level than absorption fridges. An off-level fridge will end up boiling the sodium chromate out of the fluid, creating solid masses that eventually will clog the pipes.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
cool...we are able to plug our camper in to our 20 amp outlet in our garage, but our driveway is on slope. I have a 12 guage drop cord that I can use. This will be great to do things inside the motorhome and not have to pull it to the top of the driveway at the road to do.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Yes
Look at some fifth wheel campers -the AC is mounted on a steeper slant on the roof than you would ever care to camp.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
So an incline is ok with it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
noโ€ฆ while it has its limits, it also is compressor operated and not dependent on gravityโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet