cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A lesson for RV shoppers

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
My son is looking for a bunk/outdoor kitchen TT. He and his wife found the perfect model that fit all of their needs. It was an 2013 Open Range LT308BHS. I went to look at it on Friday and found a couple minor issues with furniture framing and a drawer support frame. A more interesting item that I found was a slightly loose horizontal seam trim in the bedroom closet on passenger side. I also noticed that the panel just above the trim seemed to be very slightly bumpy compared to other areas. I text a picture to my son and left it alone as both of us were going to look at it again on Saturday.

On Saturday when my son and I looked it over he pulled on the loose trim piece and we could now see rusted staples and mold on the edges of the panels and some curling of the panel. We then looked the roof over without finding any bad problems. It was curious that the 4 corners of the rig all had a somewhat whiter caulk that had become sort of chalky and crumbled slightly. I have never seen Dicor act that way. So while standing on the roof wondering where the problem originated we concluded that it had to be around the ac unit. When inspecting it more closely we found that one side was very very slightly raised as compared to the surrounding area. It wasn't bubbled up or wrinkled or real soft. When you pushed on it hard with one finger and compared it to other areas of the roof it seemed like it might be somewhat softer. It didn't sag or give and you had to run the palm of your hand back and forth in the area to get any indication of swelling. On Friday I was on my hands and knees feeling the whole roof. The whole story isn't known until the ac unit is removed but I bet it's far uglier.

We went back inside to talk to them and were again assured that the rig had been checked over by their tech and there were no indications of water damage. My son told them he wanted his per inspection deposit back and we left.

This problem could have been missed if not checking very closely so be very careful when shopping.

RV tech's at some places cant find water damage that do it yer selfers find.

Do not believe ONE word of what they tell you, YOU are 100 % on your own to do your inspection.

This problem probably didn't just happen, it was probably there from day one and has now progressed to the point of showing itself. This is the scary part of buying a new rig, some people prefer used for this reason.

There were no unusual odors in this rig.

If you are looking for this model rig in the Houston area be careful. ๐Ÿ™‚
14 REPLIES 14

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Rjxj I sent you a private message

Robert
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Dtank wrote:
rjxj wrote:

Do not believe ONE word of what they tell you........:)

RV 101...:S

They = ANYONE and EVERYONE at an RV dealership!!

And ANYONE and EVERYONE selling an RV period. Owner sellers are just as notorious for hiding, lying, cheating, etc.

Never trust anything you're told by anyone.

So you are saying "all" RV owners are lying, cheating, and hiding anything that is detrimental to the sale of their RV. Another reason to find another hobby than RVing.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The shopping continues......
Another same model open range in Willis Tx is already sold ($25,000). Other models are too far away or newer and in the $34,000 range. His wife is worried that they wont get to go on vacation and their first outing of the year is usually a trip to the Gulf for Memorial day. My next suggestion for my son is to back pedal and settle for something older and cheaper until they can find the rig that they want. You cant be in a hurry.

They really need a bunk house as our one year old grand daughter is usually in bed by 6:00 pm or so. I must have forgotten my past experiences but I rode off to PPL to check out a Copper Canyon for $10,000. After finding it I noticed someone had left the passengers rear compartment door open so it was easy for the next person to see the massive rot and not even venture into the stench inside the rig. I opened the door, stepped in and stepped out.

I hadn't looked at higher price rigs on PPL but did notice another 2013 Open Range Mesa 36 ft for $19,000 on my way out. I went straight to the master bedroom cabinet thinking there is no way this one is water damaged. But apparently it's not the first rodeo for someone else either as they already found the wall full of mold.

To be continued........

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
My point wasn't that all private party sellers have a problem RV to sell, but that a private party seller is just as likely to lie about a problem RV in order to sell it as is a dealership.

If there is nothing wrong with your RV, then you would have nothing to lie about so the fact that you told the truth does nothing to prove this wrong.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Wait a minute on the private party issue. Last fifth wheel i sold had zip wrong with it. Guy asked what is wrong with it, i told him nothing, I bought too small of a one by mistake. Found out when i used it.

Anyhow the guy snickered, I said, well I have to go, he pfarted around for a few minutes and bought it. :W

X2 I am about to put my current fifth wheel up for sale and it has no problems at all and has been very well maintained and upgraded, tires led lighting, and other stuff as well as spare parts . We are down sizing and no longer want to pull a 35 foot fifth wheel in retirement so it will be a great purchase for someone looking for a extended stay ,fulltime trailer and not wanting to take the hit buying new. Sometimes sellers are just moving on or changing how they camp.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait a minute on the private party issue. Last fifth wheel i sold had zip wrong with it. Guy asked what is wrong with it, i told him nothing, I bought too small of a one by mistake. Found out when i used it.

Anyhow the guy snickered, I said, well I have to go, he pfarted around for a few minutes and bought it. :W

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Just to play devil's advocate for a second...
Mold needs certain conditions to exist, primarily being moisture, temperature, and a nutrient source (such nutrients are indeed present in many RV construction materials). The presence of mold does not automatically indicate the presence (or past presence) of a leak.

Example: We left a piece of clothing in our camper a while back. It was in the enclosed cabinets above the master bed. We don't know if the clothing was damp, dirty, etc., but a few weeks later we found it and it had mold growth. No air circulation in this compartment. We know this was the result of something other than a leaking rig.

None of these units are air tight. Any well constructed unit (just like a house) is designed to breath. Those air-volume tests that RV manufacturers advertise are just a gimmick. We have found the best thing to do is to keep a dehumidifier running full-time in our rig. It doesn't run all the time, just according to the humidity setting we put it on. We also have the luxury of leaving it connected to power full-time, which is something that many folks can't do. With the humidifier running, coupled with the AC unit set on about 80, and leaving the doors to compartments open (to increase air circulation), we've been able to maintain a very mold-free rig.

Of course, in the OP's case, it could also just be a leaky roof LOL
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Dtank wrote:
rjxj wrote:

And ANYONE and EVERYONE selling an RV period. Owner sellers are just as notorious for hiding, lying, cheating, etc.

Does that include info dispensed on internet forums?..:@

Good point (& true) - however the dealerships are supposed to be the
"pros in the know" (and listed in the BBB, etc., etc) - as opposed to private party amateurs.
(Some of whom genuinely may not know their RV has problems)

~

I have found that most private party amateurs know exactly what is wrong with their RV - that's why they're selling it.

And yep, info dispensed on internet forums is one of the top 3 "don't believe it"... That's why I always do my own research and find multiple source types to verify the info I've been given.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

"pros in the know" (and listed in the BBB, etc., etc) - as opposed to private party amateurs.

~

Doesn't everyone realize by now that dealers don't know diddly about their product? Also, don't put faith in the BBB.

Who is "everyone"?

There *are* newbies out there who are "believers"....

......"But - the salesman said I could tow the 38 ft 5th wheel trailer I just bought with my 1/2 ton pickup."

BTW I've never checked the BBB for anything EVER, ROTFL

~

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

~

Doesn't everyone realize by now that dealers don't know diddly about their product? Also, don't put faith in the BBB.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Dtank wrote:
rjxj wrote:

Does that include info dispensed on internet forums?..:@

~

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
rjxj wrote:

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to signing on my current rig I was told their tech guy thoroughally checked it all over. I said great before we sign I will come in to look it over. Please have everything running upon my arrival.Long story short I found ruptured water lines & hot water tank, bad batteries, and the service tech took the outside stove which he "found" . Have the entire rig gone over by a third party prior to signing. All the problems were fixed prior to my signing.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)