cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A long Winter

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I have not seen a flake of snow. Don't think the temp ever dropped below 55 but it has been 5 months since the truck & trailer have been seen.

The hours of picking over MS Streets & Trips, the surfing of CGs & things to see & do in the area of those CGs are over. The final countdown is on. Less than 24hrs before we get on a plane early tomorrow & spend more than another 24hrs to get to Baltimore, which would be less than 2hrs away, if only there was a direct flight.

We have over 6hrs sitting in JFK tomorrow between flights. Oh joy! The killer is we have to go to Charlotte, SC, overnight then up to Baltimore early Wednesday. Gotta love the airlines & the hoops they make you jump through to use up the miles.

Ah well, no grass to cut till July, no painting to be done, no this or that to fix. Just into a boatyard for some truck & trailer maintenance then off we go. All plans are subject to change.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
20 REPLIES 20

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Aaaaahhhhh! All is good. After the bag took a different flight from us again we were reunited, made our shuttle , picked up our truck, off to get the trailer from winter hibernation & on the road headed for a CG some 30 hours after walking out of our house door.

2 days of victualling &now we sit in Martinak SP, MD. with only 3 others in the CG.

Off to a boatyard Monday for a few days of refit & upgrades before the travel really begins.

Life is Good again!!! Have a blast!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Veebyes wrote:
Aaaaahhhhh! All is good. After the bag took a different flight from us again we were reunited, made our shuttle , picked up our truck, off to get the trailer from winter hibernation & on the road headed for a CG some 30 hours after walking out of our house door.

2 days of victualling &now we sit in Martinak SP, MD. with only 3 others in the CG.

Off to a boatyard Monday for a few days of refit & upgrades before the travel really begins.

Travel safe..... Enjoy.... Keep us updated!!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
You had best still be smiling .... Your on the doorstep of a 6,000 mile vacation...... :B

X2
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2013 Honda CRV

westend
Explorer
Explorer
At one time I delivered lost/delayed/forwarded airline luggage. Most folks think it is ineptitude on the part of airline baggage handlers. More frequently, it is dependent on the pilot's judgement of weight on the aircraft, weather anticipated, and amount of fuel onboard. If the pilot anticipates being in a holding pattern to land or possible reroute, it's nice to have a bit of extra fuel on board instead of that one extra baggage cart.
It's tough to fill up in the air while circling JFK.

Oh well on the liquor, you and the missus might have a tipsy night in NY waiting for that connecting flight.:)

You can also plead your case to the airlines and see if they will forward the bottles to your destination for the inconvenience.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

You had best still be smiling .... Your on the doorstep of a 6,000 mile vacation...... :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh what a day. The airline, in their wisdom, sent our bag from JFK to Charlotte on an earlier flt. Now I thought that checked bags were supposed to fly with the passenger.

So our bag arrives hours before us & they put it in lockup to be sent on to Baltimore tomorrow where we pick it up. Great, right? WRONG.

Before we left Bermuda we purchased duty free liquor which we carried with us on both flights today with the intention of putting it into the checked bag for the trip to Baltimore since TSA will not let you carry bottled anything through security, never mind 4 40oz bottles of alchohol.

Somebody is going to have to unite us with our bag long enough to pack our booze & send it on its way till we get reunited in Baltimore.

I think I see what happened. Somebody tried to be helpful. The bag showed up without the passenger, they traced us by the claim number & saw that we were only overnighting in Charlotte so they tried to be helpful & do an automatic forwarding to BWI saving us another $25 bag charge.

They did not know about the dutyfree bottles of booze that needs to be packed.

A local number for the airline so that I can actually call somebody does not exist.

We are off to a great start. Still smiling though.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Newfoundland and Maritimes? ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
CavemanCharlie, it really is not that simple. The trip is Bermuda to Baltimore. Charlotte, NC is the route I get stuck with using miles. Having to overnight in Charlotte is part of the miles thing too. My destination to pick up my truck from winter storage is an hour from Baltimore airport which adds another spanner to the works. From BWI I have to work around a regional bus shuttle service schedule to get us where we need to go.

In less than 6 hours I could drive a rental car from JFK to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, where the truck is. That would be great. Trouble is, what to do with the rental car. Nowhere to drop it off.

So, any of you reading this who grumble about an hour drive to go get your rig, I don't want to hear it.

The good news is, we are off on an almost 4 month trip so this flying all over creation to get to our rig is not too bad given the length of time we will be on the road, going past Charlotte again BTW.

Also the trip back to Bermuda in July is a snap. Leave Baltimore early afternoon & arrive Bermuda about 8:00P local, & that includes an hour or so in JFK & losing an hour to Bermudatime.

There's got to be away. But, like I said I don't travel so I'll take your word for it.

Couldn't your wife drive the rental to the nearest place on your destination that returns them and then drop it off there? I suppose that would get expensive.

Heck, sounds like you have come up with a idea for a side business for someone. If I lived in the area I would drive you for the cost of the mileage and a case of beer. lol

(No, I would not drink the beer until I got safely home.)

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
6,000 miles total , east of the Mississippi? That's a long loop. Comin thru Michigan?

2013 Honda CRV

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
loggenrock wrote:
Where to this season, Veebyes? AK and the Yukon again? ST

Found me a little WIFI in JFK. Nope, by our standards not going far this year. Staying east of the Mississippi but still covering 6000 trailer miles & 14 states.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps Amtrak?:h

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
It is the old counter balance issue, a little pain for a lot of gain. Enjoy the Gain.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Where to this season, Veebyes? AK and the Yukon again? ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's