cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A rant about common courtesy to your neighboring campers

runner_one
Explorer
Explorer
I lurk here more than I post, but sitting here this morning I just need to vent. Sorry, but I am grumpy this morning and you will see why.

If you drive a big diesel pusher class A, or have a tow vehicle that idles louder than a bulldozer please don't get up at the crack of dawn and leave your engine idling for an hour and a half while you break camp.

There are some of use who came to the campground for peace and quiet and want to sleep later than the chickens. Others are on vacation and need the rest. But before the sun is even over the mountain tops your big diesel cranks up and wakes the whole campground.

Now that is ok, if you want to get an early start, we do understand that vehicles make noise.

But don't leave it setting idling for half the morning, that is not necessary and just serves to annoy your neighbors. Crank it up and drive away and leave the rest of us in peace.
116 REPLIES 116

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
I really DO WISH diesel owners everywhere would get over this obsession they have with idling. Do they not understand they are wasting fuel?

There should be a big sticker on the dash---DO NOT IDLE!

A diesel at least ours, a before, the ammonia injectors, will no start out with engine stone cold.
In cool or cold weather it is idled about five to 10 minutes are so before pulling out.
We don't start out a dark minus thirty. Some early risers don't bother us.
Our exhaust or engine noise, I haven't measured the decibels.
Newer ones are even quieter.
Yes it is necessary to idle. The kokos of California and EPA, howling about wasting diesel, at fast idle of about 1100 rpm, or five or ten minutes and diesel generators. their moto if you have them don't use them, we won't allow it, as he jets to China burning 25000, gallons of fuel round trip.
Now to People who don't consider their Neighbors well we have seen few in the Parks and Resorts we frequent. Not noticeable at all in the bedroom unless their exhaust is right up next to us.
RVs parkins that close, are not RVing they are packed in an overnight stop at lying J or elsewhere.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been camping a long time. There might have been one time I've seen this. Surely most people haven't experienced this idling as a common issue.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the above discussion points to the most important reason why some of us love to boondock, or near-boondock, camp in self-contained RVs. Noise and disturbance issues from humans other than ourselves fade into the sunset. :C
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
The only times I idled my diesel was a couple of minutes after towing my fiver to cool down the turbo. I was also aware that extended idling could cause the DPF (diesel particulate filter) to clog, although immediately driving would clear it after some miles.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
2oldman wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I guess I have to digress from my comment about how nothing bothers me.

1:00 in the morning and a TT pulls in. AND pulls out an "impact gun" to set his jacks! I will take a DP pulling in and out all day next to me any time. :C
Thanks for 'fessing up. I would imagine there are very few people in this world who aren't bothered by *anything*.

Man.. have you spoken to this person yet? That would seriously piss me off! At 1am you should do nothing but pull in, turn off, and go to bed.

No.
Because I knew if I did that impact gun would have been put in a place where the sun don't shine.....I didn't want to end up on the 10:00 news. :B

Personally I would have stuck my head out the door and likely said "REALLY!"

We had a similar situation while hosting, campers (Tent) setup the tent then started a large fire and proceeded to cook I guess dinner, it is was 2:00 am once awoken I explained quiet hours and got them to settle in for bed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

1:00 in the morning and a TT pulls in. AND pulls out an "impact gun" to set his jacks! I will take a DP pulling in and out all day next to me any time. :C
Thanks for 'fessing up. I would imagine there are very few people in this world who aren't bothered by *anything*.

Man.. have you spoken to this person yet? That would seriously piss me off! At 1am you should do nothing but pull in, turn off, and go to bed.

No.
Because I knew if I did that impact gun would have been put in a place where the sun don't shine.....I didn't want to end up on the 10:00 news. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Off topic, but:

2oldman wrote:
The loudest noise known to man (with the exception of a train whistle) is when you're fueling up at a truck stop and a OTR tractor pulls in a releases the air brakes. That'll shatter your eardrums.

Maybe ... but the loudest noise known to an RV'er is - when parked for an overnight in a Cabella's parking lot - a Big Rig pulls in right beside you JUST AS ONE OF IT'S HIGH PRESSURE TRAILER TIRES ON YOUR SIDE BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That'll knock your rig sideways a bit, while inside your ears are struggling to recover. :E

1:00 in the morning and a TT pulls in. AND pulls out an "impact gun" to set his jacks! :E I was sleeping on that side on the couch and it sent me straight up almost a heart attack victim.

There is NO unearthly reason to do that period.
THAT IMHO is THE most INCONSIDERATE thing I have heard an RV'er do.

I will take a DP pulling in and out all day next to me any time. :C

It is amazing how little thought some give to their actions or the time of day! :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Off topic, but:

2oldman wrote:
The loudest noise known to man (with the exception of a train whistle) is when you're fueling up at a truck stop and a OTR tractor pulls in a releases the air brakes. That'll shatter your eardrums.

Maybe ... but the loudest noise known to an RV'er is - when parked for an overnight in a Cabella's parking lot - a Big Rig pulls in right beside you JUST AS ONE OF IT'S HIGH PRESSURE TRAILER TIRES ON YOUR SIDE BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That'll knock your rig sideways a bit, while inside your ears are struggling to recover. :E

1:00 in the morning and a TT pulls in. AND pulls out an "impact gun" to set his jacks! :E I was sleeping on that side on the couch and it sent me straight up almost a heart attack victim.

There is NO unearthly reason to do that period.
THAT IMHO is THE most INCONSIDERATE thing I have heard an RV'er do.

I will take a DP pulling in and out all day next to me any time. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I think you mean 'bump' the tires, not count them. If there are any missing, your 'drivers' have a post trip inspection issue.

The outfits I used to drive had 34 tires. A lot of bumping every day.

Company joke. Old Paul used to say, "Don't kick em, count em".

Yes, we checked our tires daily.

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
Twomed wrote:
My rant...grumpy old men that continually complain on forums about stupid people.

It does't work...you can't fix stupid...not even a little bit!

Ungrump...have another coffee and be thankful to be camping. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I love the block feature. Grumpy people were the first to go.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
mike-s wrote:

:B
Wrong order.

Like the way you think!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Build time depends entirely on how leaky the system is.......

You got that right! That is why the systems need to be tested often and repaired as necessary. One would not ignore a brake fluid leak on their car or pickup. Would they?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
Our dump truck drivers start their engines. Get out, count their tires, hose off the windshield, finish their coffee, and head out to work. About five minutes. Not forty minutes.

I think you mean 'bump' the tires, not count them. If there are any missing, your 'drivers' have a post trip inspection issue.

The outfits I used to drive had 34 tires. A lot of bumping every day.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
From the folks at Bendix, who know a thing or two about air brake systems:

"Using dash gauges, verify that the
compressor builds air system pressure
from 85-100 psi in 40 seconds or less"

Not 40 minutes.

Build time depends entirely on how leaky the system is.......
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB