cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A reminder for those who sanitize the water system.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to my Winnebago manual, it is 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of tank capacity.

Fill the tank, pump through all plumbing, including the water heater.

Let it sit 4 hours.

Drain, and flush with water.

If you double the amount of bleach, you can cut the sit time down to 1 hour.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
41 REPLIES 41

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
Any water including City Water will only hold a Chlorine Residual for a few days, then you have no protection. It is always a good idea to sanitize at the beginning of each season.

This.

Don't forget the hoses and water heater.

Flush with plenty of fresh water.

You won't have a lingering chlorine taste if you don't use way too much chlorine. Calculate correctly and measure it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I use a teaspoon of pool & spa chlorinating granules in the fresh water tank. Fill it, let it sit overnight, run it through all the faucets until drained.

Then I fill the tank again with just water. If I smell the chlorine, I may drain a second time and then refill.

My old TT had a horribly musty icky smell to the fresh water tank. Like a stagnant pool. I did the above twice and the water tasted just as good as from my home tap (which is the best tap water I've had). I did my RV when I first got it. I'll repeat if water sits for a long time and/or the taste changes.

X2!
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lspangler wrote:
It's amazing how many people believe waste will break down in a blank tank!You would have to fill the tank and let it sit for many weeks or months for any real break down of waste to happen.
Take a dump and don't flush it. After about 3 days it will be pretty much 'broken down.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a teaspoon of pool & spa chlorinating granules in the fresh water tank. Fill it, let it sit overnight, run it through all the faucets until drained.

Then I fill the tank again with just water. If I smell the chlorine, I may drain a second time and then refill.

My old TT had a horribly musty icky smell to the fresh water tank. Like a stagnant pool. I did the above twice and the water tasted just as good as from my home tap (which is the best tap water I've had). I did my RV when I first got it. I'll repeat if water sits for a long time and/or the taste changes.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A black tank is a large chamber pot. It isn't a septic tank where the waste is turned into compost. Instead, what happens is that TP and poop should be turned into liquid. With this in mind, it doesn't matter what bugs are in the tank. Because of this, it doesn't hurt to bleach it out to get rid of odors.

As for turning waste into liquid, the magical chemical I use is Dawn hand dish soap. It dissolves grease off of dishes, and when dumped in the black tank, it does quite well in doing the same exact thing to stuff in the black tank. I've been doing this for a few years now, and so far, no clogs or plumbing issues, so I'm either lucky or doing something right.

Plus, there isn't anywhere else to put the water from sanitizing the tanks. If I dumped the bleach water onto the ground, I'd leave a soggy mess of dead grass for the next person. So, I might as well have it kill odors (especially in the grey tank that can get quite stinky) and call it done.

wilcamp
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
but its harder to get the bleach odor out.

Refill the tank and add a half cup of baking soda and pump through the system. Let it sit a couple of hours and then drain and fill. The bleach odor is gone!

Yupp, baking soda works for us, too. . . been doing this for 14 years and 3 TTs.
Wil, Tara, Keeko (Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix 9 yr.-old) and Kalee (Wire Hair Terrier/Blue Heeler mix 1 yr. old)
2018 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2702; 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi w/ 3.92 rear axle

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Lspangler wrote:
It's amazing how many people believe waste will break down in a blank tank!

You would have to fill the tank and let it sit for many weeks or months for any real break down of waste to happen. Anything you add to the tank would be for odor control only.

We have never used city water hook ups so we sanitize each spring with bleachLinc

that's not true. I use a black tank chemical that DOES break down waste. You have to read the label very carefully to find one that states it does. Most of the new ones on the market now are targeted to the greenies and all they do is add perfume.

Which the one and only time I used one of those perfume ones because I had run out of the one I use......the whole RV stunk like a french whore and set my asthma off the charts. Had to find a dump station and get rid of it asap.

I have dumped with this chemical in my tank and without and with the clear sewer connection there is definitely a difference. Our RV's are not your home sewage system. We have a small diameter exit and a blade valve just begging to get clogged up.

I don't have time while on the road to deal with clogs of any kind. And have not. The original chems that break down the waste have been on the market for years and years for RV and marine.

This is the only one I use. No sewer odor ever, no clogs. And that goes for long periods between dumping in hot, hot, Florida in the summer. :B

Packaging is very similar for this one and their natural one. Read the label and look for breaks down waste.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing how many people believe waste will break down in a blank tank!

You would have to fill the tank and let it sit for many weeks or months for any real break down of waste to happen. Anything you add to the tank would be for odor control only.

We have never used city water hook ups so we sanitize each spring with bleach

Linc

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
WoodGlue wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
If you double the amount of bleach, you can cut the sit time down to 1 hour

This is an old wives tale! In other words, not true.

WoodGlue

It may be an old wives tale, but it is in black and white in my Winnebago manual. That is where I got it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
If you double the amount of bleach, you can cut the sit time down to 1 hour

This is an old wives tale! In other words, not true.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
The tanks on an RV are holding tanks and not a septic system. There is very little "breaking down" via bacteria and enzymes that occurs in between dumpings. If waste broke down that fast, household septic tanks would never have to be pumped.

As far as getting a little bleach water in your black tank, I would not worry about it. According to Oregon State University (and many others) "Because it is unstable, when used for disinfection, diluted bleach should be prepared fresh daily". Add to this the fact that using the black tank adds water which dilutes the bleach even further means the odds it will be able to kill anything becomes pretty much zero quickly.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/larc/sites/default/files/pdf/chlorine-fact-sheet.pdf
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
When draining, I like dumping part into the black tank, part in the grey tank, which helps on odor control.

I have been told that if you use chemicals in the black tank (not the geo method) that you should not put bleach in the tank. The bleach kills the enzymes in the chemicals and tank and they no longer do their job of breaking down the waste.
I'm not a chemist, so I don't really know if this is true, but it is what I've been told........

I would agree with that assessment. Putting a bleach solution in the black tank would kill the bacteria that are necessary to break the waste down. I never put any sort of chemical in the black tank, not even deodorizer. There is never any unpleasant smell just leaving the tank alone and the bacteria to do their job.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
We never ran the vinegar solution after the bleach solution, just flushed it pretty well with water. That seemed to work well too - but then, we usually don't drink the tap water in the camper, just wash & flush the toilet with it. (And brush our teeth with it, so - ) Anyway, when we've ended up with the most awful-tasting/smelling water was when we didn't sanitize after the camper had sat for a while (tank empty or partially so, it didn't matter.) So sanitizing is highly recommended.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
^X3. Never sanitized my water system since 2010. We don't use the fresh water tank and always hooked to city water. We use water to brush teeth and I use to make coffee that I only drink. None of us have been sick yet. Too much paranoia today.

If you never use your fresh water tank why are you posting on a discussion of fresh water tanks? It is obvious that you have nothing to contribute. I do agree, there is too much paranoia. Hundreds of folks don't use their tank city water, only bottled water.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch