cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A tale of woe.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I posted twice about this before but the story gets more interesting.
Back in June,we ordered a new Keystone Cougar 24wrks Trailer from Camping World in Harrisburg,Pa.We were quoted a price of $24,440.00 and sent them a check for 10% down.

When we ordered it,we told the salesman we were hoping to have it by the end of August and he said that should be doable.A few weeks later,he said he got an offline date of September 5th, but that he was confident they could switch the date with another dealer slot so we could still have the trailer by the end of August.

So the end of August comes and I e-mail him and he said it wasn't there,but the September 5th date was still good.So I e-mail him after September 5th and he said it's done and it's labeled a hot ship and would be there in a week.3 weeks go by and no trailer so I call the general manager.He said he'd get back to me the next day which was a Friday.Tuesday,he still hadn't called back so I call him again.He said he still didn't have an answer.He then called back the next day and said it was set up to ship and would be in September 29th.

Apparently the salesman never set up the unit to ship.The earliest we could pick in up was October 6th.So we get there and even though they had it for a week,they didn't have it checked out.So we sit there an hour and they take us for a walk through.Then we go in to pay the balance and they say the balance is $29,000.00!

We tell them we were quoted a price of $24,440.00 and produced the e-mail with the quote.They get the salesman and he said he figured in a trade in.We told him right off the bat that we sold our old one and there would be no trade.So he comes back in with a paper that shows the price with the trade which we had never seen.I tell him he never sent that to us and told him there was no trade when we ordered it.

So then he goes to the manager and comes back and says,well here's what they paid for it $27,000 and we could have it for that.So we didn't feel we had any choice other than to walk away but we really wanted the trailer.So we paid that.They gave us 2 $25 gift certificates.

While were driving home,my wife looked at them and they expired July 31st,2014!.When we did the walk through,we noticed there was a change in the floor plan but just figured they changed the floor plan because everything else looked the same.When we got home,we discovered that it wasn't the same model.It was 1 foot longer and 400 pounds heavier.Apparrently Keystone no longer made the trailer we ordered and sent this new model.

When I looked at the paper work,on one paper it identified it as the model we ordered and on the other,it identified it as a different one. Camping World never notified us of the change! The good thing is we do like the trailer but are very frustrated by the way this all went down.
55 REPLIES 55

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
...We never had a signed agreement....

Your first mistake.

RGar974417 wrote:
...We waited so long and were without a camper all summer,we were so anxious to get it....

The second mistake. All emotions must be left at home when making financial decisions.

You bought it, it is yours, go camping and don't let it sour your love of the RV.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad297 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Did you ever consider walking away? I would have got up and demanded my deposit back plain and simple.
If they refused I would have taken the issue to the presiding motor vehicle administration or small claims court.
I would not have been nice about it at all.Live and Learn

I hear what you're saying. It's easy to say what you would do, but until you are in the OP's shoes, you don't really know what you would do.

After all of the waiting, excitement, anxiety, etc., I believe I would have done the same as the OP, just to get it over with. I know what you wrote is probably the best thing to do, but I don't think I could spend the time and trouble to do it all over again. It would be worth that couple thousand dollars to just get it done.

Bruce

Nope. there are too many other BETTER places to buy a TT. I would have walked out with my money, and straight to a legitimate dealer.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tothetrail
Explorer
Explorer
I would have said, "I'll be right back with that trade in."

Then promptly find the closest $100 trailer on Craig's List, dump it in their lot and say, "Here's my $24,400."
2003 Foretravel U295
Jennifer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
RGar974417 wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Did you ever consider walking away? I would have got up and demanded my deposit back plain and simple.
If they refused I would have taken the issue to the presiding motor vehicle administration or small claims court.

I hear what you're saying. It's easy to say what you would do, but until you are in the OP's shoes, you don't really know what you would do.

After all of the waiting, excitement, anxiety, etc., I believe I would have done the same as the OP, just to get it over with. I know what you wrote is probably the best thing to do, but I don't think I could spend the time and trouble to do it all over again. It would be worth that couple thousand dollars to just get it done.

Bruce,you're right.We waited so long and were without a camper all summer,we were so anxious to get it. Plus, we do like the unit.It's just the whole thing was very frustrating.

Bruce

We all have are starting point. When I was a naive 20 something year old kid I attempted to buy a 1985 Toyota Supra. The first dealer did not take me serious and attempted to sell me something else. I knew enough that there was more than one car dealer in town, and I promptly left and purchased my Supra from another dealer 20 miles away at the price I expected to pay.
I have learned that the buyer holds all the cards in the sale. The dealer does not have the only RV of that type for sale there is an entire country full of the same exact model.
This thread is not intended to be critical of the OP. while I understand buying an RV is an exciting time one must curb there enthusiasm and make sound business decisions until the transaction is totally complete.
If at any point the dealer does not meet your expectations get up and walk and allow the dealer to keep their RV because there is another dealer willing to meet your expectations.
I have no doubt that I would have left. I have had to leave more than once over the years. You will be amazed how quickly the dealers change their tune once you begin to leave the table. Unfortunately it's all a game. never forget as long as you are the one spending the cash you are in control. Also understand there is nothing unique about any RV. There is another one available just like it.
Lastly the PDI is a critical. The deal is not complete until a slow thorough PDI is completed to the buyers satisfaction.
If at any point the dealer tries to change or adjust the deal in anyway that you did not expect or agree to walk away.
There are good dealer and bad dealers some will attempt to trick/extort you. While others will conduct an honest above board transaction.
To the OP consider the whole experience a lesson and don't beat yourself up about it. Move on and go enjoy your RV. Life's to short to sweat the small stuff or cry over spilled milk.
At this point you have a new RV that you like. Go use it. All $$$ aside the only way to get your money's worth out of any RV regardless of model or purchase price is to use it.
With that in mind hit the road and begin to get your money's worth.. Enjoy it and happy camping.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, but it seems like they saw you coming a mile away. Buyers need to do their due diligence. A salesman and company is out to make as much money as possible. A buyer should be looking to get the best deal possible.

The OP should have known if he was getting a fair price or not. If the trailer costs the dealer $27K, he should have known that a $24K price is absurd. If EVERYONE is selling that model for $28.5K and you get a quote for $24K... something is up.

If the OP doesn't have a signed sales contract, he is promised NOTHING. All the emails in the world don't mean a thing.

If the OP got strong armed into paying too much, or more than he wanted to, that is on him.

It seems to me that in the 6 weeks between the promised date of delivery and the actual date of delivery he probably could have found another dealer that sold the same trailer.

It seems to me that I would know my floorplan in and out as well. Especially if I had to wait 6 weeks after ordering it.

I hate to sound like a meanie pants... but come on man, you gotta do your due diligence or expect to get spanked.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RGar974417 wrote:
mbopp wrote:
So you never had a signed sales agreement, just an email????

That's correct.We never had a signed agreement.But I did keep e-mails.
The salesman said in the beginning we my have to sign something but never got anything from them. We only met with him twice.When we ordered it and when we picked it up.

Just for future reference, NEVER trust anyone who is taking your money!
At the time the order is placed you should have a signed sales order, with ALL options and cost spelled and a deposit of no more than $1,000, with the final balance clearly understood.

You need to have on that sales agreement a statement that the unit needs to pass a PDI, and all issues found during the PDI be fixed before final payment.

NEVER, NEVER be afraid to walk away from the deal! More than once during dealing on a purchase, we have had a sales person state "Are you going to keep $xxx.xx keep you from buying this unit?" Our reply "Are you going to keep $xxx.xx keep you from selling this unit?" it works very well.

We did OK getting our used unit from Camping World, and needed to drive 250 miles to do the PDI. Yes, they wanted payment in full before we even saw the unit in person, that was not going to happen! We did the PDI, and got the already reduced an additional $500. Yes I would have walked away if I didn't feel I was getting a square deal.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I'm waiting...........Where is the standard "send me your info, and we will look into it""".................
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Bruce,you're right.We waited so long and were without a camper all summer,we were so anxious to get it. Plus, we do like the unit.It's just the whole thing was very frustrating.

Bruce

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
So you never had a signed sales agreement, just an email????

That's correct.We never had a signed agreement.But I did keep e-mails.
The salesman said in the beginning we my have to sign something but never got anything from them. We only met with him twice.When we ordered it and when we picked it up.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
OP says nothing about a sales contract in original post. Seems they just mailed a check for 10% to CW. They are lucky to come out with a RV after waiting that long and no contract (only a email). Could have been a lot worse. Now that it is over, they need to move on and enjoy their new toy.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Congrats on the new trailer. Sorry for your troubles. Hope you enjoy your new trailer. Now go camping!!!

Well said.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the new trailer. Sorry for your troubles. Hope you enjoy your new trailer. Now go camping!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Now that the deal is done maybe I would contact CW headquarters or DMV but honestly I think I would move on since the damage is already.
Maybe a rant on RV.net makes one feel better but but it doesn't change a done deal. At this point go enjoy your RV and forget the lousy deal. Time heals all wounds. Debating the deal at this point only prolongs the agony.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV dealers are regulated by the same agency that regulates automobile sales, Usually the states Department of Motor Vehicles.

This "Deal" where the price was quoted, the deposit made and then the price inflated, Has an aroma about it that is not at all pleasant. (Stinks in short) and your best options (Since you decided to accept the trailer at the higher price) are as follows:

In addition to posting, blogging and otherwise venting publicly (Which you are doing):

1: Make a full report to the proper DMV and let one of their people go in and make a deal like yours (This should frost them a bit)

2: Consult with a legal professional (Lawyer) however given the amount of the inflation ... that might not be worth it.. (you will have to decide)

To my way of thinking when the contract is signed and the deposit delivered, that is the way it should be.. That is the price it should be, that is the financing it should be. But alas, in the automotive sales business.. Your story is all too common.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times