cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AAA vs GS vs FMCA

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
It seems GS was the popular choice for RV'ers but lately I am hearing more and more people moving to FMCA. I have had AAA for about ten years, but it is coming due and I was considering a change.
I need Roadside assistance for my wife and I and our vehicles when towing and when not towing. What are your thoughts and recommendations.
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
12 REPLIES 12

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have it with my parent ins company, USAA.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Sam has an age of vehicle and a mileage restriction. Check into both before making a decision, if you have an older tow vehicle, have higher mileage or both, or an older trailer. IIRC, the age limit is a vehicle less than 10 years old. Mileage was <150K miles.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We carry AAA for local and whoever is cheapest between GS and CoachNet for non local.

We tried to have just CoachNet and were stranded locally because no one ever heard of them. Our trusty AAA guys said - NO!

Don't trust AAA for all over because of their different plans for different areas, but locally they are the one.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

coachjeff
Explorer
Explorer
GS just cancelled me because I used it more than the average person should. According to them if you use it more than 2 times in a 3 YEAR span they will cancel you!!! I have roadside on my car insurance now!
Me, Wife, 4 kids and a dog
2016 Surveyor 265RLDS
2012 Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban 4 wheel drive.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
4aSong wrote:
Another one to consider is Coach-Net.

I think the OP may be referring to Coach-Net when he said FMCA.

CoachNet is no longer affiliated with FMCA. They figured the grass was greener on the Good Sam side of the fence

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Coach-Net since 2006 but changed to FMCA this year. We used to get Coach-Net as an FMCA member but that relationship dissolved a few years back and Coach-Net has also changed considerably since then as well as doubling their prices. We have been happy with all FMCA products for the last 13 years so we will see.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have Coach Net. It covers all our vehicles.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
FMCA is now $69 a year! New low price has a lot to do with why folks are switching.
2010 Suncruiser

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with AAA is that they are apparently not a single, uniform organization, but rather a group of allied state automobile associations, NOT ALL OF WHICH OFFER RV ROAD SERVICE.

I have seen forum posts over the years from people who claimed that they bought RV road service from, say, AAA TX; and when they broke down and needed towing in MA, AAA MA told them they didn't offer that service and refused to help them.

In such a case, you'd have to find your own tow company, pay them yourself, and then submit the receipt to you home AAA for (hopefully) reimbursement.

I personally would not use AAA for an RV for that reason.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:

I think the OP may be referring to Coach-Net when he said FMCA.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Compare which services each offers and compare to the others. For instance AAA Plus will tow 100 miles, 4 times a year. Coach-net will only tow to the nearest repair facility, it could be 5 miles away or it could be 200 miles away. Coach-net offers phone tech support if you have problems with your RV. AAA does not. I don't know anything about Good Sam or FMCA.

With AAA take into account which services are offered in the regions you need it the most. A AAA regional office on the east coast may offer different services than a AAA regional office in the mid-west. We have been with AAA for almost 20 years and have been pretty happy with their service.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU