cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accurate Tire Guage

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was filling up my tires last night with my air compressor. I use a guage that connects to the air hose which was purchased from Harbor Freight. Filled up to 50 lbs, then checked with another guage I keep in my truck. It read 45 psi. Can anyone suggest an accurate tire pressure guage?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
31 REPLIES 31

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
720Deere wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
dave54 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
I have 3 tire gauges that don't agree with each other - 5 psi difference. I've been meaning to take them to my local tire shop and have them checked.

How do you know the local tire shop gauge is correct?

Due to RV people inflating their tires to MAX sidewall psi all the time, Transport Canada requires tire shops to have accurate gauges so MAX psi is never exceeded. So it's a good place to check your own tire gauges.

Uh oh, I hope you never check your tire pressure after a long highway run in the summer! The result may give you a heart attack.

I hope (and assume) that people know that "max" pressure on most LT tires means cold temperature, before tires warm up from travel. Easiest thing is to just check tire pressure in the morning.

Yes MAX cold pressure. What is a puzzle is what ambient temp is "cold inflation" measured at? -25F like on a "chilly" mornin' half the year here? :h

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
720Deere wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
dave54 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
I have 3 tire gauges that don't agree with each other - 5 psi difference. I've been meaning to take them to my local tire shop and have them checked.

Due to RV people inflating their tires to MAX sidewall psi all the time, Transport Canada requires tire shops to have accurate gauges so MAX psi is never exceeded. So it's a good place to check your own tire gauges.

Uh oh, I hope you never check your tire pressure after a long highway run in the summer! The result may give you a heart attack.

I hope (and assume) that people know that "max" pressure on most LT tires means cold temperature, before tires warm up from travel. Easiest thing is to just check tire pressure in the morning.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two and both were bought at truck stops. Cost was a little bit more but they are rugged and accurate. Before I found them it was a******shoot.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
dave54 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
My Milton, with gauge, is way off....I think. Let's say it differs greatly from my TST tire sensors. If I check with other traditional gauges they all vary in all directions. I've decided, in the absence of a better idea, to use the TST Sensor as ground truth.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the best one that I could find. I bought one from Amazon, and it works great. It is a Milton tire inflator, with gauge.

2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
Aug 2010 Motorhome mag has a good article. if u need more PM me .will send 4 pgs
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
I have a HF Infrared Temp Gauge that tracks exactly with my Fluke Infrared Gauge that cost 6 times as much as the HF. ๐Ÿ™‚
BurbMan wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
I wouldn't expect anything purchased at Harbor Freight to be accurate.

Actually, their torque wrenches are very good, tested by Car Craft magazine and measured to within .2 ft/lb as accurate as the Snap-On models costing $$$ more.

I've read the same thing about their torque wrenches but don't understand it. They have a store near where I work. I've been there and their stuff seems so cheaply made. I do know some people who have had their power tools and can't stand them. I guess their stuff is bit or miss.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave54 wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
720Deere wrote:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/si-robertson-signature-edition-treasure-commander-tc1x-digital-metal-detector/71725

CLICKY

Very similar to the Accu Gauge I posted above but without the flex hose. Both have the button release which I really like.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/si-robertson-signature-edition-treasure-commander-tc1x-digital-metal-detector/71725
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
FWIW I've discovered not difference in accuracy form most expensive to least expensive digital gauge. Consequently I usually buy the cheapest I can find, but I do like the ones with replaceable batteries.

O'Reilly's was closing out some pencil type digital gauges for $2 each and I bought 6 of them. They all are within a pound or two of the rest of the gauges. IMO paying over a few bucks makes no sense when it comes to digital gauges. I try to get the Slime gauges on sale for around $7. I'd like to get a digital dually gauge but haven't felt like shelling out the dough.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought this gauge with hose from Pep Boys a couple years ago and it works great. Reasonable price too.

ACCU GAUGE
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the responses - looked at campingworld.com and saw 8 different guages, one of them with the exact dial as mine. There was a question - "is this made in China?" Of course it is! May visit the NAPA store and ask those guys how their guages are, but they will most likely want to know what make and model vechile I have as they can't seem to give any info unless they know this. Will also look into other suggestions - would really like to have something accurate.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS