cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Added Air Compressor

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I started with my first RV in 1977 and have had many since.
I have had a few flats in my time too while on the road that required waiting what seemed like forever to get help to fix the problem.
So today I solved most of those problems.
I added a 150 PSI, 120 volts, with a 6 gallon tank in the basement storage area where I have lots of room. I also bought a couple of 12 ton capacity air bottle jacks to use for leveling in my older RV which has no leveling system. They have a lift range of some 10".
I threw in some air tools I had laying around in the garage and a tire repair kit that allows me to replace valves and pulls nails and such from tires and glue the rope material in for repair like the old days.
I tow a small car 4 up on a car hauler so I have many tires involved in my rig and I just did not like being on the road without some air and tools to so some repairs.
I did not buy top of the line stuff but the total costs ran me under $300~much cheaper than just adding leveling jacks alone. Yes I have to handle the jacks but that's still better than playing around with the plastic blocks for leveling to me.
And I can run the compressor from shore power or my genset needless to say.
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
6 REPLIES 6

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yes my wife had the Home Depot version of the pancake (about 2 gallon I think) that came with a finish and brad nailer that we had paid some $145 some 10 years ago. But while downsizing I kept the nailers and my larger compressor that I had at the time.
The larger capacity (6 gallon) I selected for the motorhome drives a motor on the jack that is pretty air hungry so I am glad I got the larger capacity unit.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those rotary compressors will work fine on a modified sine wave compressor , mine has for seven years , tools , bikes , tires , etc. Bought mine at Lowes , came with brad nailer which is handi .

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, with a coupon they had it on sale for $100 starting two days ago. The jacks came from there too. They are the 12 ton models discounted out to $71. By the time I bought an air hose and the other accessories I was still way under $300.
I have spent some time in my life stranded waiting for tire repair and hope not to have to do it again.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing that same air compressor for tye camper, making a strong assumption that uts the harbor freight model.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why you would want pure sine genset or inverter to power a simple AC motor. There are no sensitive electronics there.
And I would not use an inverter to power a motor of any size anyway, just not efficient at all. Startup currents on motors are hard on batteries too.
Mine will run off park power or my RV ONAN 4KW. Plenty good enough for us.

By the way, noted your location. Lived in Suisun City from '87-93,Langly Way in Quail Glen, then they closed MINSY where we both worked and I took early retirement. Found ourselves in AZ after several years where the wife is from anyway. Much cheaper than living in CA anyway.
Born/raised in Vallejo.

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds great! I would like to add my compressor, but I'm in need of a pure sine inverter strong enough to power it. I have a compressor like yours, 6 gallon 150 PSI.