cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on Honda 2000 Generator

jkbrea
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of 2000's with the parallel cables. They run great and I really like them. I service them by cleaning the filter, changing the oil often and replacing plugs. I can take them out after months of storage and they start right up. The only problem is when I'm camping I leave them outdoors locked with a cable. When the temperature drops overnight and I try to start them, they run for about 5 seconds then stall. The red oil light goes on for a few seconds. This goes on for about ten minutes before they run properly. I thought it may be the altitude but last time I brought one inside the RV overnight. In the morning it worked perfect. I'm no mechanic but I believe the oil may be thickening up some with the cold and not able to pump properly until it warms up some. Anyone ever have this issue and should I try a different weight oil? Using 10w30 now.
9 REPLIES 9

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Add about 2oz of oil. May need to tip it a little to get the oil in. Then cap it. You will have no more problem. I guarantee it.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Have you tried leaving the choke lever on for an extended period after starting cold? Maybe try starting with choke on, then after a few seconds move to half choke. After a while move the choke to all the way open.

You can also try the sticky from the tech forum on how to clean out the carburetor. Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
Not the same motor but I have a champion generator and when dew got on it the oil sensor would freak out and think there was no oil in it. I pulled the plug on the sensor and it has work perfectly sense then. I just check the oil before every start now. Give that a try and see if it fixes your issue
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Bad Boy I use 5-30 Amsoil synthetic in my Kipor generator.

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
probably not too good an idea to use straight 30wt oil... its even thicker when cold.... maybe try a 5-30 synthetic or a 10-30 synthetic .... better starting oil
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jkbrea wrote:
. I can take them out after months of storage and they start right up.
That's an indication that you leave gas in them. Many of us find they fare better sans gas, both in the tank and carburetor.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Probably just a dumb question here, but you are using the choke lever, right?
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

jkbrea
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Are you making sure the oil is full and up to the threads in the fill hole? The red oil light is an oil level light so it thinks it's low on oil.

As far as oil weight, the 10w30 means it's 10 when cold and 30 when it warms up and the w means winter. This allows for easier cranking in your car when it's really cold outside. If you want to try an experiment you can run a straight 30 weight oil and see if it behaves any differently.

Yes. Its filled. I think it also could need a carberator cleaning. I left some fuel in for several months. It started right up and has burned through numerous gallons since.

This problem only happens when it sits overnight and it gets cold....about 35ยบ or less.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Are you making sure the oil is full and up to the threads in the fill hole? The red oil light is an oil level light so it thinks it's low on oil.

As far as oil weight, the 10w30 means it's 10 when cold and 30 when it warms up and the w means winter. This allows for easier cranking in your car when it's really cold outside. If you want to try an experiment you can run a straight 30 weight oil and see if it behaves any differently.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup