cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Am I being greedy?

opnyn8d
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded in our class A on a new class B. The upholstery in the old rig is doing the usual flaking everyone seems to suffer. I understand it cannot be sold like that. The dealer asked if I could help defray the cost of fixing the upholstery problem, and I agreed. However, since the A had brand new tires and battery, and a lot of things I added and can't use for the B, I thought the few grand he didn't have to spend on those things would offset some of the upholstery cost. I was under the impression we were splitting the cost of replacing it. Then after we did the walkthrough he asked for the entire $2500 from us with him sharing none of the cost. This is money we cannot afford, and will make for a tight budget for awhile. Was I expecting too much for them to share the cost? What if I had presented it with decent ultraleather, but 7 year old tires that needed replaced? Would I have had to pay for those? I spent several thousand on new stuff right before we traded it. Oh well, we like the new RV anyhow, and in a few years we won't be noticing the extra cost. Oh, we did pay typical price for the new one, not a huge discount, so they weren't missing out on a profit even if they had shared the cost.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar
26 REPLIES 26

opnyn8d
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the OP was a fool. We had had a previous bad experience elsewhere and didn't want to walk away again. A year or so ago we bought a class B, drove 5 hours one way to see it, then the next week stripped and cleaned the old class A for trade in, then drove the 5 hours to the dealer with it. We did the walkthrough and so on. As we were about to sign the contract, she said oops the salesman made a mistake and they needed $10,000 on the spot. So we drove home in dejection, had to reload everything in the MH, thought we could never afford a B. I guess we just are too nice and look easy to cheat. And this salesman knew about our previous experience elsewhere. So I guess the dealer got the elevator and we got the shaft. Well, thanks for reaffirming we were justified in being upset. All I can do now is mention it in the reviews on their website.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
It baffles me as to how anyone with even the slightest bit of business acumen could fall for this ploy.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Someone will buy as is while the salesman enjoys a margarita somewhere in the tropics.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
don't give them a cent more than you foolishly signed up to give. this is crooked. I likely would have kept my tires and battery too.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are not being greedy. You are getting screwed.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
No I wouldnโ€™t agree to it, not with new tires and batteries! Actually I wouldnโ€™t agree to it at all.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This is just a case of offer and acceptance. Standard business for both parties to try to buy low and sell high. Walk if you don't like the deal or think you can do better elsewhere. Greed has everything and nothing to do with it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lol at this thread. Tough guys negotiating a trade in when theyโ€™re still getting put thru the mill and donโ€™t even know it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
If the deal is done, it is done, but, when I trade off a vehicle it is as is where is, that is the deal or I walk!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
If I am reading this right it is too late to walk from this one-sided deal. Sounds like the OP got the shaft and drove it away.

My thoughts exactly.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If he thought your trade was worth less because of the upholstery, he should have reduced the amount he offered for it. Asking you for cash is irregular, to say the least. Sounds like he wants to pocket the money rather than have it on the books as part of a transaction.

Unless it's in the contract that you signed, I'd tell him to forget it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
great salesmen ,doing his job ,getting every last dime he can from you. makes his pay check bigger.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
As others are pointing out, this is incredibly odd. OP - I'm confused by your language. You 'traded' your rig, or you 'agreed to trade' your rig? In other words, what is the current status of this transaction?

I would never agree to any compensation without it being written specifically into the purchase agreement. Many RV dealers quote trades without ever looking at it. This is simply another gimmick to try to get money. Unless you are contractually obligated, refuse.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
He probably already took the 2500 off what he offered you for the trade in.