Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An EV motor home/van?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I bumped into this today. I'm glad to see this happening.

https://www.rvtravel.com/grounded-g2-ev-rv-1127/

https://www.groundedrvs.com/g2

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
28 REPLIES 28

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
No holding tanks. Didn’t see HVAC information of pictures. Not sure where the kitchen sink gets water, or where the waste water goes. Jug to jug? I’m sure there will be people willing to sink $200k into a modified bread truck. My Dad’s ‘68 VW Camper was a better choice.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that we, on this side of the Atlantic Ocean, often forget that there’s another ~750 million people on the other side.

On that side 250 miles (400 km’s) a day is no issue considering that for most non-expressway travel you’d be very lucky to average 50 km/h.

I think an 8 hours of travelling day would satisfy most folks over there.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't use one as a bug out vehicle, that's for sure.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
So $200k for what should be a $70-80k camper van with less range than a standard campervan.

Where do I sign up?

And no discussion of actual range at highway speeds vs city driving. Going to the source for the van chassis, it appears to be based on urban delivery van usage, which assumes minimal wind resistance at low speeds and lots of braking regeneration. Get her up to 70mph on the freeway, don't be surprised if that drops to 150mile range. Also, if you are pulling off the battery bank for house loads, it could be even less.

Also, the source delivery van only has a payload of 1400lb (probably because the battery is upwards of 1500-2000lb). I'm assuming that is based on an empty shell which works fine for fed-ex or UPS which has minimal stuff built in so they would rarely push up against those limits delivering amazon packages. But for a built out campervan with water & waste tanks full along with food & other supplies...it gets pretty likely that you will be overloaded (oops, probably not considered when claiming 250mile range).

Now if it came with a small built in range extending generator and the price was half way reasonable, they might have something.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi free radical,

That sounds like a perfect match for towing with an EV!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of electric rv,how about this

https://pebblelife.com/

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I like the idea that companies are exploring this, but I wish a mainstream rv company would do it, instead of these overpriced companies where you end up with an industrial looking rv that looks like it was pieced together from old gym cubbyholes.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
$195,000 for a vehicle that maybe could go 250 miles. No thanks.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has a RZ450E with a range of 245 miles. If she uses the AC or heat that drops to 185 miles. That is very compatible to this van.. Now for her needs that is perfectly acceptable. We have a home charger for charging. This van does have a good amount of solar to extend its range.

Why not a tesla? They can't legally be sold in the state. No sales no repair service no tesla.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
That’s like 400 kilometres. That would work for us no problem. A few hours of travel. Take a lunch and charge break and do a few more. Heck. Most days when we tour we only travel about 2 hours every 3 or 4 days.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I could not help notice on a recently completed long distance trip was that the further one gets from towns, the fewer EVs one sees.

Nobody has figured out how to walk to the nearest charging station and bring back a few miles worth of charge yet.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There are certain traveler types it will work great for. Just as there are those that it will not work well. Just another alternative. Choice is great.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Range is 250 miles.

Don ... that is at least 250 miles short of what I would be comfortable with using a go-anywhere RV in even just the U.S.! In Australia, South America, Africa, and many other places in the world, even more range between charges would of course be necessary for insurance.

By the way, I've not seen any discussion of maybe carrying a portable generator (and plenty of it's fuel) and an adapter cable for it ... along in an EV RV for "emergency" topping up of it's main vehicle motive power battery bank.

It seems like this would be the ultimate insurance against getting caught too far away from a charging station. This would merely be the EV equivalent of gas/diesel powered rigs carrying along extra cans of fuel for trips where one might wind up long distances between fuel stations.

What's that new upcoming EV battery technology (solid state?) that may make possible way longer ranges than that of the current crop of LiFeSO4 technology EV vehicles?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Range is 250 miles.
Regards, Don