cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another reason NOT to use the "Water Thief"

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
This was posted at the USFS Windy Hill CG at Roosevelt Lake but I have seen similar postings at a number of USFS CG's through the southwest. If a CG only has a few spigots scattered around, often without threads you might want to check the bulletin board before hooking up as it can and often will get you ejected from the campground. You really should not be using the water thief (the name says it all).

While this posting addresses health issues many of the more remote campgrounds also have very limited supplies of fresh water and the spigots were never intended for mass consumption by large RV's.

:C
104 REPLIES 104

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
D & M wrote:
So if there is no threaded connection at the fresh water fill, and you can't use a water thief, how do you fill your fresh water tank?

If there are no threads (and sometimes when there are) they may not want (for any number of reasons), you to fill your tanks. When in doubt check with the Ranger or host. There is no mandate for CG's to provide potable water any more than there is to provide hook ups or a dump station. If they do great but if not you need to be flexible an anticipate alternate solutions.

:C

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
So if there is no threaded connection at the fresh water fill, and you can't use a water thief, how do you fill your fresh water tank?
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always check the campground rules before using a Water Thief. As the OP posted, some don't allow it. Some do however, like most Calif State beach campgrounds. Rangers drive by and wave while you're using the Water Thief as there are no restrictions.

Having said that, I rarely use my Water Thief and it can be a real PITA to use at times. I went with the 60 gal Water Boy water bladder with electric pump instead. Still carry a Water Thief though as you don't know when it might come in handy.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Is using a spigot to fill a tank considered "connected"?

"Water Thief" is a term like "Cheater Bar"...:S..:S

The use of a "Water Thief" to fill water tanks has been SOP for years.
(I had one for my first self-contained RV in 1970)

However, if a camper left a hose *connected* to the non-threaded campground spigot - he's not a "thief" - simply an Azzhole - and I would be happy to effect a "disconnect"!

AZ probably figures illegals will be stealing water along with legit campers.
Their campgrounds - their rules.
Don't like the rules, go elsewhere..;)

BTW - how many campers use a backflow device on the hose bib at a full hook-up campground?..:@

~

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Don't know what all the fuse is about following a posted rule/restriction.

Anyone on the road RV'ing any length of time HAS seen people who just don't get it about being safe about fresh water.

From sticking a hose up into a black tank and then turning around and hooking it up to the water source at a CG site to filling up their fresh tank with the hose at the dump station clearly marked NOT potable.

Most rules and regulations are MADE because of people who don't know, don't care or just choose not to follow the rules. If a CG or park says not to do it just don't. Isn't any simpler than that. :R

A BIG X2!! We've volunteered in many parks and can definitely see why so many rules NEED to be posted. Even so, there are folks that just don't seem to care.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jacksonr
Explorer
Explorer
I Agree with dodo and want to thank Desert Captain for the post. Park service is what I am a bit frustrated with. When you camp in same campground for 10 years and you are used to rolling up there with empty tanks to save mileage (campground is about 20 miles fro services and100 miles fro home) and make a discovery like that it can lead to teeth gnashing. Thank goodness for the forewarning for me, just worried a bit about snowbirds Rollin in.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I think Desert Captain did us all a service by posting that we should pay attention to the rules regarding the use of capturing water from some campground spigots, it was just presented wrong in the post title.

A better title would have been ("Water Thief" hose ends restricted at campgrounds). A simple change in verbiage could have reduced the anger generated in the post.

I've had a "Water Thief" for over 35 years. I used it more when I had a smaller RV with smaller tanks. Now that I carry a 100 gallons, I just don't use it, but I'll keep one in water parts bucket.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what all the fuse is about following a posted rule/restriction.

Anyone on the road RV'ing any length of time HAS seen people who just don't get it about being safe about fresh water.

From sticking a hose up into a black tank and then turning around and hooking it up to the water source at a CG site to filling up their fresh tank with the hose at the dump station clearly marked NOT potable.

Most rules and regulations are MADE because of people who don't know, don't care or just choose not to follow the rules. If a CG or park says not to do it just don't. Isn't any simpler than that. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
hershey wrote:
Now this is CROSS CONTAMINATION.
Content unavailable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Is this worse?I don't worry too much about cross contamination of the water systems but I worry about idiots like this. Now this is CROSS CONTAMINATION.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
In the first place it mentions "hydrants" which are what one attaches a fire hose to with the right connector. It is not a hose bib or faucet which is what a garden hose would be connected to for water.

The comment above is the very reason that campgrounds try to design facilities to guide or steer toward a desired use, because even with a written sign, some people will try to figure out a way that the written rules do not apply to them. The sign does not say FIRE hydrant, it says campground water hydrant.
Hydrant is defined as:
*A discharge pipe with a valve and spout at which water may be drawn from the mains of waterworks; a water plug. (Webster)
*a faucet for drawing water from a pipe or cask
Synonyms: spigot, water faucet, water tap, tap (Wordnet)
*a discharge pipe with a valve and spout at which water may be drawn from the mains of waterworks (Wordnet)

And the reason it is NOT called a hose bib is because it is NOT a hose bib, as it is deliberately designed without threads so that a garden hose cannot be screwed onto it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dewey02 wrote:
D & M wrote:
"Another reason"? I didn't know there was any reason. Please enlighten us.

As a retired USFS program manager for 30+ campgrounds, I can say that a primary reason is because the well and pump system (in our case, it was solar driven pumps) have a low capacity, and the storage tank at each well house was 100-200 gallons. A good sized rig could empty that out in a flash, and it would take most of the day to refill with the slow capacity solar pumps. This would mean that those who came after you would have limited amounts, or no water for a considerable time.

Then that is what needs to be posted. Not a blanket rule that doesn't say what the issue is.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a little common sense would be a good thing.
For instance, fill your water tank before you leave, then practice total water conservation while camping. If you do that, you will not run out of water.
We do it all the time.
But then, we HAVE to! There are NO dump stations in most of the Forest Service campgrounds around here. If our waste tank gets full, we have to drive to town to dump. There is no dumping on the ground allowed, and you can't put it in the vault toilets, either. So, no showers when dry camping. VERY limited dish washing, so paper plates are the rule.
Many such campgrounds are "Pack It In, Pack It Out" areas, as well, so no garbage service. You must take your garbage home with you. Therefore, paper plates get burned in the fire pit every evening, IF a fire is allowed.
Sorry, I just don't understand the problem with running out of water. That rarely happens to us. Having the waste tanks get full is a MUCH bigger problem!
That, and storing garbage bags where the bears (or other critters) won't get at them...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jacksonr
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks Captain. Strange that after 10 years this cross contamination suddenly occurs, particularly when the campgrounds have been used so lightly. During. The summer and the lake has been much lower than this. I agree with other posters, that an explanation of the "why" would certainly help. At any rate, I'll still head up We'd and see if any of those scarce bass are hungry.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œโ€โ€œThis country has lost the ability to apply common sense. โ€œโ€โ€

Exactly what causes the need for rules that make little sense to othersโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet