cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any benefits to high octane

tbolt2000
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any benefit to running octane gas when towing? I had heard when towing use high octane gas.
I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.
40 REPLIES 40

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Bottom line: use whatever you wish that is available from name brand
gas stations and the computer will manage it for you...of course within
it's allowed limits set by the software

Just a comment since I'm not sure exactly what you are saying:

There is no sensor or computer in the vehicle that measures octane in the fuel directly. What it measures is what happens when the fuel burns: the oxygen sensors in the exhaust and the knock sensor mostly.

So.....if the knock sensor reports "all quiet on the home front", putting in fuel with a higher octane rating accomplishes EXACTLY NOTHING.

Now.....the exact composition of the fuel might make a difference if the other sensors see something different, in the exhaust gas for instance, but that is NOT because of the octane.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
No. Computer controlled engines adjust their spark timing to eliminate preignition under heavy load.

Just how does the computer adjust timing to prevent pre-ignition...??

Advance it... NO.

R e t a r d it... NO.

Enrich the mixture... Possible.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
What with the computer controlled EVERYTHING...fill with whatever you wish and
the computer will re-adjust the setting on HOW2 manage the ICE...

Fill with lower octane and the computer will re-adjust to save the ICE

Fill with aviation 'gas' and the computer will re-adjust to increase performance...up
to the software set limits

Fill with pure toluene (what most refineries add as part of their octane
booster) and then you might have a problem with the computer's ability
to manage. Especially in cold weather running...

This topic is about technology/science/laws-of-physics and if truly wish
to understand...look up octane and how it affects ICEs (internal combustion engines)

Add: "compression ratio"..."pre-ignition"..."knock"..."ignition advance"

Oh...add looking up: "carbon build up"..."glow point(s) inside the CC"

Bottom line: use whatever you wish that is available from name brand
gas stations and the computer will manage it for you...of course within
it's allowed limits set by the software
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
My manual says absolutely do not use E85 fuel. It also says don't use less than 87 octane, even in the mountain states that offer regular in 85 octane.

It recommends use 87 octane when not towing or hauling.

It also suggest performance may be improved if premium is used when towing and/or hauling.

I have a 2014 F150 Eco-boost 3.5L engine.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Use what your manufacturer recommends. If it makes you feel better, use higher octane. But the only things you are affecting are your feelings and your wallet.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
WIFE: How come you put that cheap gas in my car, then use the expensive stuff in your truck and motorcycle?

ME: The BOOKS says use 87 in your car...my truck calls for 89, the H.D. gets the highest the pump has to offer.

WIFE: You're high maintenance :B

OP: Just use what the MFG recommends. No need for "better" fuel, if it isn't going to provide additional benefits. My 89 octange was 17 cents more per gallon than the 87 (at pump TODAY).....why pay it if you don't have to.

The gas the manuf recommended 10-15 years ago is different than today's gas!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We have 85 octane where i live and i use it all the time.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
WIFE: How come you put that cheap gas in my car, then use the expensive stuff in your truck and motorcycle?

ME: The BOOKS says use 87 in your car...my truck calls for 89, the H.D. gets the highest the pump has to offer.

WIFE: You're high maintenance :B

OP: Just use what the MFG recommends. No need for "better" fuel, if it isn't going to provide additional benefits. My 89 octange was 17 cents more per gallon than the 87 (at pump TODAY).....why pay it if you don't have to.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
eichacsj wrote:
No. Just keep running what you normally do. With today's ECM's they "learn" and it takes 2 - 3 tanks for it to balance back out, if you switch for a couple of tanks you will not get the results you are thinking about.

Also as said above, follow the MFG recommendations but as a note also stated above octane requirements go up depending on the compression ratio. You'll notice manuals with ratios around 10:1 or above generally requires premium.

Not true on my car with "today's ecm and not likely true on any.
Octane requirement aside, the "learning" involved, is instantaneous. A knock sensor or multiple knock sensors detect pre-ignition (detonation) as a certain frequency of vibration in the engine block. When that vibration is present, the knock sensor signals the ecm to adjust ignition timing to compensate. On newer engines, both 2 stoke and 4 stroke it happens instantaneously and silently.
My snowmobile actually has a light on the gauge that blinks when detonation occurs and it starts pulling timing. Great feature on 2 smokes. Saves a lot of burned up pistons.
Wifes SRT8 runs fine on low octane, but fuel mileage is down, low end power is down and it's generally rougher sounding/feeling if you floor it with cheap gas. Under the right circumstances can actually make it ping just a little. Put the octane back and it runs smoother and faster.
The 6.4 truck Hemi is designed to run on 87 or 89, from what I've read and will hand out a few more ponies on higher octane. Not sure if theres and advantage to running premium though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the PCM does adjust for lower octane, but it pulls out timing and other parameters to adjust which reduces power. And with the new fuel with 10-15% ethanol the engines from 10 years ago weren't designed for those operating conditions. My X used to struggle when I ran 87 like is recommended in the manual. Filling up with 93 made it much better to tow with. And running pure gas from WI was like adding a supercharger (well not quite) but you could definitely tell the difference! I now have it tuned for 89 octane with 10%ethanol and it drives better than it did when it was new!

Run the different grades back-back and you will be able to tell the difference! Both in mileage and power!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Ford recommends using ethyl in the 3.5 Ecoboost under rigorous towing conditions and some users report better power and cooler running pulling long grades in hot weather doing so. Some users report better mileage. My experience with the 3.5 Ecoboost towing in the southern Gulf and coastal plains and the southern Piedmont is that ethyl has no advantage over regular.

Next week I'm going north on I-77 across the Appalachians, I'll use ethyl.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
I also notice my Excursion does better on mid-grade when towing. I know that vehicle well and when I am towing (especially my previous TT) I can feel when the PCM pulls out timing on long, hot grades to prevent pinging. Mid-grade I don't feel it as much. For a few extra bucks, why not?

BTW there is something called "inaudible detonation" so you might not even know when it is happening.

Adam
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
Switched from regular to mid-grade on my RAM 2500 because I found the manual recommend mid-grade. After 3-4 tanks I noticed I was getting about 1 MPG better millage.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
No. Computer controlled engines adjust their spark timing to eliminate preignition under heavy load.

That's only partly true.

Pre-ignition caused by too low an octane rating of the fuel is caused by compression ignition (diesel effect) and has nothing to do with spark timing.

Now....timing advanced too far will cause a knock too and the engine will correct for that. It will TRY to correct for the other condition too but really can't and your performance will nose dive as a result.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
No. Just keep running what you normally do. With today's ECM's they "learn" and it takes 2 - 3 tanks for it to balance back out, if you switch for a couple of tanks you will not get the results you are thinking about.

Also as said above, follow the MFG recommendations but as a note also stated above octane requirements go up depending on the compression ratio. You'll notice manuals with ratios around 10:1 or above generally requires premium.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars