cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any deals?

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I'm looking at Toy Haulers (very different designs - one IBEX and one Grand momentum 28G) and it's been a few years since I've been shopping.. I know Covid put a hurt on the the inventory and deals but can you still get 30% off MSRP like the 'old days'? Just wondering what everyone has been seeing...
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G
22 REPLIES 22

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vanished quote: The most annoying part so far is so many 'contact us for pricing' on all the ads!

That so the dealer and all its affiliates can get your email and bombard you with more ads. IF I want to contact them, I will, but you're right, it's annoying to withhold a price just to get your contact info. I generally just delete that page, and find a dealer that posts the price ...

I'd bet if everyone that sees a 'no price' page calls and ask 'Just want the price while I shop' get it and hang up, that particular dealer would change from no price to at least MSRP. No one believes MSRP on it anyway, but at least it's a place to get an idea about RV floor plan vs price when a buyer begins shopping.

Car and truck dealers are beginning to do the same thing. Every dealer now touts 'online buying', 'safe and easy', but it turns into harassment at some point when you don't follow up. I've actually had to call the GM of a Chevy dealer to get a salesman to stop calling me and emailing me. He stopped, but no buyer should have to resort to calling a supervisor.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the insight and suggestions so far... Luckily I don't 'need' to buy one but with 'some' inventory back on the lots and minimal 'sales' as winter is approaching in this region I was hoping for a little better pricing. It's not as much as what I can afford (I'm shopping apples and oranges) but moreso about getting a 'decent' deal to have equity in case I need to join the thousands of people unloading the unit next summer IF the economy crashes... I have been watching used units as well and still shopping around, was just curious what others expectations were. I would be a little concerned about the warranty aspect of buying wholesale, so that's why I've been trying to work with our local dealers. I also understand the manufacturing complexity and increased costs on EVERYTHING in life now (bikes, boats, RV's, vehicles, lumber, houses, etc). Just too bad our pays didn't go up like that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ But it sounds like I'm on the right path and deals are simply harder to come by than the last few RV's I've bought... The most annoying part so far is so many 'contact us for pricing' on all the ads!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I get a kick out the "summer vs winter" price thing, they sell the same price all seasons..

Why?

Well, it is relatively warmer in SOME places in the US when other places may be much, much colder..

The seasonal price thing is a figment of ones imagination, hoping to catch a much better "deal" when it goes "out of season"..

Dealers are not obligated or compelled to sell their products below MRSP, they often sit on old models for a couple of years just to get the price they seek.

That also brings up why NEW?

Everyone gravitates to new, then is deeply disappointed when that new rig ends up in the dealer shop to repair the shoddy build for months at a time..

If you do not like the prices, look at some used units and not the ones on the dealer lot.. There are most likely thousands of used units for sale for every single on new unit..

This way you can get in the game at a price you fell comfortable with but as with RVs, can't be overly picky now days, you might have to give up a few items on the wish list but at least you will be camping and not on the sidelines wishing you could camp..

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last few issues of RV Business Magazine have been talking about the unprecedented and unforeseen boom that the RV industry is seeing now. To quote Doug Gaeddert who runs Forest River for Berkshire Hathaway, "People who couldn't even spell 'RV' 6 months ago have decided that RVing is the perfect socially-distanced vacation."

Dealer inventories remain low because the factories can't keep up. Dealers don't want to sell everything because then they have nothing to show new buyers. Because the market has expanded with so many new buyers, industry experts expect this to continue thru 2021 into 2022, so I wouldn't expect any deals.

Good idea watching RV trader, I'll bet there are at least some folks that went out and bought a brand new RV for the first time and then decided they didn't like it and are selling it after one season...probably some good deals to be had there.

Also bear in mind that RV mfrs don't require their dealers to provide warranty service on units that weren't purchased at their dealership. This was an industry move about 10 years ago to discourage the online wholesalers and protect local dealerships. Laws that cover the auto industry about consumer warranties don't apply to RVs. Not saying this to discourage you from buying online, but know this about warranties going in.

Not sure where you are in Central PA but Tom Schaeffer's RV Superstore in Shoemakersville is a high volume dealer, he's on PA 61 just south of I-78 (Cabela's exit). I've never shopped there personally (and I'm not affiliated with them) but always hear good things.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always deals to be had no matter the state of the current market, going into winter should help as sales drop for most dealers around the country. Peruse the models you are interested in across the web, as said above RV Trader along with many other sites can be helpful in determining price range of particular units. Having financing and or cash in place and a willingness to travel will net the best deals.

We purchased our current rig this past summer after extensive research, had to travel out of state to get it but we saved a bundle. Dealers locally had plenty of stock during the current pandemic, heard other areas of the country there was some kind of buying frenzy. More than likely it was Newbies thinking RVing was the only way to travel in the future. RVing isn't everyone's cup of tea, might soon have a plethora of near new rigs on the market to choose from.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The final price is up to you to accept regardless if they advertise some fake "MSRP"..

If you are not comfortable with the deal, then don't go through with it and find another RV that suits you price range.

However, if you think the prices are going to magically drop, you are in for a bumpy ride..

Prices of materials have gone through the roof, try pricing lumber, you will be in for a sticker shock.. I needed some 2x12s to repair a old shed floor, jaw hit the floor when I saw $21 per 8ft 2x12!!! Those used to cost less than $8 each before all the panic buying..

I have heard reports of lumber and building material shortages..

Then you have companies having to buy PPE, severally reduce their workforce in order to fit them in their buildings which reduces speed and efficiency costing the company thousands more per unit..

Add in now we have this newest wave of panic buying.. My DD works at our local Sam's club reported the other day that panic buying is on again.. TP, yep, GONE, fresh meats, yep, GONE and so on..

You better not be so picky and if you REALLY want that unit, you just might need to reconsider your position.. Otherwise the next time you look, it may be far more expensive or not available anywhere..

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using rv trader as well, I don't like how most dealers won't list prices anymore... I also generally try to shop local, I won't lie... Just wasn't happy with the deal they offered me. It's nice to see ~30% off example shown above - maybe 'deals' still exist!

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Background: Just purchased a 2021 TT.
My shopping experience: Found the best deals from wholesalers, but when factoring in delivery and the fact that your not connected to any RV business for service - decided against it. I found a Colorado dealer a few hours from my home who had a better overall price than the wholesalers. Hard to say what kind of deal it was. They tell me the TT retail price is $35K, we paid $25K. That seemed to be the lower range seen around the net.

RV Trader was my go-to place to compare new/used rigs. It seemed the better prices were on the east coast. West coast was insane :E Good luck finding a "great deal" and I hope you find a rig that checks all your boxes.
2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog