cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone ever use one of these

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife showed me a video of filling 1lb propane tanks using an adapter like this.

Propane Adapter

Anyone use one of these? Does it work as advertised?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS
26 REPLIES 26

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Check the duplicate post about refillable 1 lb cylinders. They are safer and you don't have to chill the cylinders to fill them.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a good option too.

Thanks

Mike

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

Bobbo - the double post is a result of this website and it's service temporarily unavailable issues.

I like the 1lb bottles as I have two different grills and a smoker that use them and while I can convert them to use larger bottles, it's just easier to carry a few of the small tanks with me.

Mike

Mike

Your preference is fine, but there is an alternative hose for your grills and smokers to easily use the larger bottles without having to convert anything.

Propane tank hose to grill made for 1 pound bottles

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the responses.

Bobbo - the double post is a result of this website and it's service temporarily unavailable issues.

I like the 1lb bottles as I have two different grills and a smoker that use them and while I can convert them to use larger bottles, it's just easier to carry a few of the small tanks with me.

Mike

Mike

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I think Bobbo has the right answer.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Been using one for years. As others have said, you wont get tanks but about half full unless you invert the cylinders.
I attach the small tank and the turn it upside down and tilted so the small tank is pointing slightly upward using a milk crate to hold the assembly. I get tanks this way that are usually close to full. When the 20 lb tank is down to about 3 or 4 lbs left it becomes about useless.

I only get maybe 20 fills on a small tank before they start leaking, usually around the vent but occasionally from the main valve.
But doing it this way I get a filled tank for less than $1 and they are convenient for in my shed/shop.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the answer you got in your other, identical, thread, I prefer the 1 gallon (5 pound) tanks. Filled and used just like the 20 pound tanks everyone is used to. I have two of them.

5 lb. cylinder LINK

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Watch some YouTube on it first.

I like this video because it addresses 2 issues !

First, safety. Note, he has a table set up OUTDOORS ! Lots of ventilation.

Second the biggest problem with refilling small bottle is getting the air out of the bottle so that you can get a full LP charge. He show a cert simple and quick way to do this !

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of those gizmos. The idea is simple enough. It does help to have the big tank warm, like sitting in the sun for a while, and the tiny tank ice cold.

I could not get the vent open on my little 1 pounders which is an important step, need to let the air out so the liquid can flow in. Maybe 50% or less transfer without opening the vent.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Watch some YouTube on it first. Can be dangerous. But after you do it some and dont take any short cuts, not that bad. Get thick welding cloves. Mine are from harbor freight. Dont refill at crowded places, people here a propane hiss and think worlds going to end.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it would sure be a lot cheaper than buying the 1lb. bottles.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guys at hunting camp use them. They say they work fine but won't fill up the cylinder completely full. I never used one so just going by what they said.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH