cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone switched from blue ox 1500 to 2000lb bars?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the tongue weight on my rv I’m going to purchase 2k lb bars from my blue ox sway pro. Has anyone stepped up in bar weight? Does it significantly stiffen up the ride? To get the truck where it needs to be I have to engage 11 links, which puts 1.5 links below the brackets. Which is right about the minimum. I’m wanting to buy heavier bars to increase that a bit. Am I on the right track or wasting money?

Also, does this site have a classifieds where I can sell the 1500lb bars?
7 REPLIES 7

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
Camperforlife is right! Blue ox took care of my on my trade out as well. They even got them shipped to me in just a couple of days! Outstanding customer service on their part!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from the 1000 to the 1500 and it improved my trailer handling. My dealer sold me the 1000k bars when I bought the trailer and they weren't heavy enough. I called Blue Ox and they worked out a trade. Talk to them, you never know what they will do. They are a very customer focused company.

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from 1,000lb bars to 1,500lb bars. Same truck and trailer. Made a huge positive difference. No negatives at all! At least in my case. I run about 1,200 of tongue weight. With the lighter bars I felt a lot of bounce between the truck and trailer. The larger bars stopped the vast majority of that. I run 9 free chains.

Very happy with the change, and I did speak with Blue Ox and they suggested it. Next will be a 2 1/2 version. Had a 1/2 ton truck when I got the Blue Ox, now in a 3/4 ton. Would love to get rid of any play there.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I have not switched, but it definitely sounds like you need to. I run 9 links. It seems like running 11 links would cause binding with the rotating latches during sharp turns.

They only make 2 hitch heads, and the difference is couple style, not capacity.

What is your tow vehicle? Make sure you aren't overloading the receiver. If the receiver is under rated, it'll twist rather than distribute tongue weight when you crank up the bars.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I believe there are better cheaper hitches on the market but I ordered the 15,000 Sway Pro. I ordered 2,000 lb bars and used with my 2” hitch. The 2” standard hitch is rated up to 15,000 and can be used with 2,000 bars per Blue Ox. The 2 1/2” is rated at 20,000. I believe the bars are underrated. Our old toy hauler had a tongue weight over 1,000 lbs and with 1,500 bars took way too much preload to keep the trailer somewhat level. The 2,000 bars solved that problem.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
Due to the tongue weight on my rv I’m going to purchase 2k lb bars from my blue ox sway pro. Has anyone stepped up in bar weight? Does it significantly stiffen up the ride? To get the truck where it needs to be I have to engage 11 links, which puts 1.5 links below the brackets. Which is right about the minimum. I’m wanting to buy heavier bars to increase that a bit. Am I on the right track or wasting money?

Also, does this site have a classifieds where I can sell the 1500lb bars?

First do you have the 2 1/2" tongue bxw2000? If not then it is not the proper hitch for the 2000 bars. I have a blue ox 2000 with the bars I had to size down to 1500 but as far as I know you cant go up without changing to the 2000lbs hitch. Call Blue Ox.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sorry I can't help you with the bars but this site does not allow any "for sale" items at all. Most, including myself, have excellent luck with the local Craigslist for selling RV items. Good luck. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine