cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use a Ford Edge as a Dinghy?

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a tow'd which we only use 3-4x a year for short trips when camping. I'm up for suggestions. We are considering:

Ford Edge
Honda Pilot
Honda Element
Honda CR-V

I'm thinking of getting a good adjustable easy to use towbar, maybe a brake thing that steps on the tow'd pedal, and maybe a lighting kit.

Has a Wrangler and Liberty with simple rigid towbar, but want something easier to hookup.

Has the Edge been a good choice? This will also serve as my daily driver around town here.
Get off the phone and drive!
12 REPLIES 12

gasser9
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Buick Enclave as a Towed
Weighs less than Pilot

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend the Ford Edge. Love mine.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
genentina wrote:
Thanks. I'm now looking more seriously at the Odyssey.

that certainly is in a different weight class.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
oops

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'm now looking more seriously at the Odyssey.
Get off the phone and drive!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had two Edges as Toweds. This 13 model is awd. They weight about the same as a Hummer, which I might should have bought for some differing reasons.We use a Sterling Tow Bar and air brakes by Roadmaster too. I like the simplicity of the other brand but don't trust it to stay attached.
Only thing on current Roadmasters they have tons of clearance on base plate and connections to cross bar and the sterling hitch.I'm shimming the connection between cross bar and hors with four big washers. The hrs are really loose into the baseplate too. makes a lot of clatter with all the slack. Shouldn't be that way. I can't install the off road bar or bull bar because the baseplatte tube is welded at too much of a twisted angle. I have had the impact of sudden and not so sudden braking knocking the rear closet door and mirror out of the tracks.But that is what we have used on these two Edges and a Saturn. The Saturn baseplate and horns were a much closer tolerance. There is no excuse for sloppy work when it cost 5,000 for the whole setup and installation. I hope Roadmaster takes note. They did tell me to take it to a Camping World and get it attended too. The Idiot at Camping World said theyr are all like that. /then he changedd and said it was nattural wear. Bear in mind we hadn't towed with it yet. Roadmaster would have reimbursed them. They just didn't want to sweat a little, I guess.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had two Edges as Toweds. This 13 model is awd. They weight about the same as a Hummer, which I might should have bought for some differing reasons.We use a Sterling Tow Bar and air brakes by Roadmaster too. I like the simplicity of the other brand but don't trust it to stay attached.
Only thing on current Roadmasters they have tons of clearance on base plate and connections to cross bar and the sterling hitch.I'm shimming the connection between cross bar and hors with four big washers. The hrs are really loose into the baseplate too. makes a lot of clatter with all the slack. Shouldn't be that way. I can't install the off road bar or bull bar because the baseplatte tube is welded at too much of a twisted angle. I have had the impact of sudden and not so sudden braking knocking the rear closet door and mirror out of the tracks.But that is what we have used on these two Edges and a Saturn. The Saturn baseplate and horns were a much closer tolerance. There is no excuse for sloppy work when it cost 5,000 for the whole setup and installation. I hope Roadmaster takes note. They did tell me to take it to a Camping World and get it attended too. The Idiot at Camping World said theyr are all like that. /then he changedd and said it was nattural wear. Bear in mind we hadn't towed with it yet. Roadmaster would have reimbursed them. They just didn't want to sweat a little, I guess.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Been towing the Edge for a couple of years. You need to make sure of the model you choose. Not all of them are towable.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Ford C-Max too. Easy tow and great daily driver. We have the Energi model which has both gas engine and plug in electric. Our overall mpg are averaging around 130!! Love it!!!
2014 Thor Axis

bocanut50
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, I used searches on this site and others to make my choice.
Bill Stiles
2003 Discovery 38T
2013 Ford Edge SEL

bocanut50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, works fine.

2013 Edge
2003 Discovery
All Blue Ox equipment.
Bill Stiles
2003 Discovery 38T
2013 Ford Edge SEL

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can easily search this forum for all those cars.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman