Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom sink stopper

Revolver
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone.

My new rig has this type of stopper for the bathroom sink, and the outside kitchen sink.

Click for image

In the bathroom sink, the stopper barely stays in the "up" or open position because the little ribs/tabs inside the drain pipe are broken off. Hope I am making sense.

I was thinking about making my own tabs (cutting small pieces of PVC) and gluing them in place to support the stopper in the open position.

Have any of you had this problem?

Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't feel like getting the entire sink replaced for something so minor.

Thanks!
2016 Avenger 32BIT
13 REPLIES 13

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of original styles found on Amazon and eBay for a couple of bucks, some with free shipping. I like simple and OEM if it works.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Flip-It Jr, it drains slower but works OK. Flip-it

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
Why not put a residential stopper in? Pull a lever to open and close.
That would require some plumbing work and replacing the valve set and sink down tube.

If it was me, I'd chuck that plastic stopper and get a rubber stopper with a chain. The screen inserts are great. I don't have one in the RV but in the house, we have one for the kitchen sink. Even with a garbage disposal, they tend to keep all the plumbing neat and clean.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Why not put a residential stopper in? Pull a lever to open and close.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
You would need some type of stopper if you want to take a sink bath when conserving on water usage - like boondocking.

I use the kitchen sink for that....easier to do a PTA bath especially when you have a sprayer :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You would need some type of stopper if you want to take a sink bath when conserving on water usage - like boondocking.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem as you did with the sink plug. I keep a rubber stopper on the counter next to the sink. I also use one of these.

I dropped a screw down the drain when installing a new vent crank handle and had to fish it out with a magnet so the strainer helps keep things from going down the drain when not using the stopper.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I, too, recommend chucking that plastic stopper and just getting a rubber one. They are only a couple bucks at Lowes or Home Depot, and a whale of a lot less work. They are also 100% certain to work.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

We don't use ours either...removed it,

but did drop one of these in the drain because my wife keeps dropping earrings down the drain. Now I don't have to remove the trap to retrieve them.....:E

X10
I put these in the kitchen sink also. They are great. Easy to clean too.

Really if you think about it when was the last time you ever needed a stopper to hold water in the bathroom sink??

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like to fill up my bathroom sink when shaving (old double edge blade) or washing my face so I use a rubber stopper.

Now you could go thru the hassle of cutting PVC and trying to glue them in place so that the stopper would have some place to sit on in higher position.
I envision small pieces of PVC going down drain during this attempt :B

OR go simple and buy/use a rubber stopper
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use ours either...removed it, but did drop one of these in the drain because my wife keeps dropping earrings down the drain. Now I don't have to remove the trap to retrieve them.....:E

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I removed mine because I never need it.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
why not just take it out and use a rubber stopper?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle