cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bears!!! Yosemite, Can I wake this thread up?

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
Question to those who have been to Yosemite and surounding area with their RV of whatever sort, do you empty all the contents that a bear might smell into one of the "bear boxes" provided to prevent a break in by a bear? I'm currious because I'd like to venture into that area but I have no idea of what to expect when it comes to bears. How agressive are they and near any "sanctioned" camp grounds, how prolific are they?
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
31 REPLIES 31

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Would something like a empty pop or beer can be enough to attract a bear? What about a empty bag of chips? A gum wrapper? A candy bar wrapper?

Remember there are no bears in my area I'm just curious and that's why I'm asking.

Not only the above but toothpaste can be a problem. ONE french-fry lost between the seats will result in a couple of thousand in repairs to your car or truck.

A thousand years or so ago when we tented camped with our young children at Charles V. Stanton County Park in Canyonville OR and the DW left a Jolly Time Popcorn fryer on the picnic table next to our tent. The residue of the oil was viciously attacked by a Banana Slug. In fact there it sat gorged into a food coma on the table the next morning. You've got to be careful with those guys, get their slime on you clothes or skin and it is terrible to get off.

Seriously though, bears can cause terrible havoc and damage to not only ALL vehicles used in camping but while uncommon, with campers too.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is one little trick that will keep bears away from your campsite.

After dark and everyone has already gone to bed, just walk down to the far edge of the campground, the furthest from you. Smear some peanut butter or anchovy paste on the side of the RV furthest away.

You will not be bothered by bears at YOUR campsite... 🙂
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Would something like a empty pop or beer can be enough to attract a bear? What about a empty bag of chips? A gum wrapper? A candy bar wrapper?

Remember there are no bears in my area I'm just curious and that's why I'm asking.

In Yosemite, yes to all of the above. All garbage and trash needs to be in the approved containers. No leaving any scented garbage "unsecured". ALL of it.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
We had a bear in camp years ago. My wife's chili made it run for water 😉
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we were told by the Yosemite ranger that food in the fridge was fine, since it's airtight, otherwise it wouldn't cool.
any toiletries and edibles that had been opened, should go in the bear box.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are certain locations where you are much more likely to encounter bears for a number of reasons, including being in bear habitat where they are foraging or along the trails that they use. For example in Glacier NP the Many Glaciers campground is far more likely to have bears around than any other in the park. These favored campgrounds are more dangerous and more people are attacked and even killed.

If you check the history of bear incidents you can find campgrounds where none have been reported and that will help a great deal in avoiding problems. There are also times of the year when the bears are more actively searching out food sources and more likely to be aggressive.

Don't assume that because the park service or forestry service or other agency put a location in a given location that it is a safe bear free area as this is often not the case.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up:

If you have one of those RV's whereby the kitchen garbage can be accessed from outside to dispose of, be sure not to keep ANY food or wrapper garbage in there whilst camped in bear country. They will and have ripped those cheap style locked, exterior doors off and accessed the food garbage.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped in Yosemite for more than 20 years, mostly in tests and have had many experiences with bears.

1. Grandmother-in-law deliberately left food out for the bears. Those bears ate the food and did NOT molest any of the children asleep in sleeping bags on the ground, and GMIL sat in her car screaming with delight.

2. Before Yosemite eliminated the dump, bears dined at the dump (mostly at night) and were watched by throngs of tourists.

3. Had an experience where our neighbors, apparently new to camping or at least unexperienced with bears, had left their cooler on display on the picnic table. The newbies were in their tent. Suddenly a couple bears showed up, so I yelled, "bears in the camp"! At that point their flashlights all went out in the tent. Of course the bears destroyed the cooler and spread stuff all over their campsite. We didn't see any of the newbies until middle of the morning.

4. As newbies ourselves to MH camping last march, we looked all over Yosemite and saw quite a good variety of wildlife, but no bears so be seen. But anyway, we did see a sign that said "BEAR LEFT", so we also left.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
AO_hitech wrote:
The bears haven't figured out that they can get into RVs, yet. My guess would be they think of them as houses and they don't try to tear their way into those.

BTW, it is VERY difficult to get a spot for an RV in the valley. And you can't get in during summer without one.

Uh Yes they have. I have seen videos of bears breaking into RVs, cars, and mobile homes. The just rip the siding from the window area, and climb in. They also break windows on vehicle when they want in. Saw a bear actually OPEN a van door, using the handle on Myth busters.

Thing is. Bears get into just about anything they want to get into.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
The bears haven't figured out that they can get into RVs, yet. My guess would be they think of them as houses and they don't try to tear their way into those.

BTW, it is VERY difficult to get a spot for an RV in the valley. And you can't get in during summer without one.

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank you all for the quick responses. I asked because at one of the parks websites at Yosemite mentioned "EVERYTHING" has to be in a bear box that might give off a scent that might attract bears. I figured, their sense of smell is so great that it wouldn't make a difference if it were in your motorhome or trailer and that they would just rip through it just to get to the goodies inside. I've seen video where a bear broke into a car and litterally shreded it to pices. I think a car would be a little more sturdy than an RV.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We had a bear rip open our ice chest - and it only had beer and sodas in it. They didn't smell anything, just had learned that food is normally in those containers. The bears were not aggressive towards us, but you never know for certain.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yosemite and then the Tetons this summer. I never left any type of garbage outside nor in my liter bag in my truck. I also made sure my truck windows were always rolled up while parked.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Cordelia
Explorer
Explorer
Unless they tell you otherwise, you can keep your smellables in your hard sided RV. They will give you a rule sheet when you check into the campground. I have camped in the valley many times with out a problem. The rangers are on top of the problem campers and bears. Don't leave anything in you vehicle that smells or looks like food or a food container (cooler). Have a great trip.
Gordon
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD L/B E/C D/A 4x4
2003 Eagle Cap 950 Loaded