Explorer
Explorer
What are y'all using to lube valves?
34 REPLIES 34

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Since I now know itโ€™s an issue...40 years after my first TC...Iโ€™ll lube them religiously.

Same here, but it's only been 36 years for me not lubing any valves.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
I can't find the link to the fantastic solution.

Simple enough to explain.

Drill a small hole on the face of the slide out valve near the rod.

The face meaning the area where the T handle lives. Spray some silicon lube inside the small hole. Exercise the vavle.

When done, just put in a small screw to plug the hole. I had some stainless ones so don't need to worry about rust.

These valves are smoother than when new.

Might work OK, except my actual valves are under the colorplast underlayer and packed in foam insulation. (from the factory this way). Unless I bust through the colorplast and chisel away all that foam, this isn't going to happen for my situation.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea above, but it would be nice to better understand the exact location of the screw lubrication hole.

Another thing to consider is always avoid the ethylene glycol rv antifreeze which is cheaper and causes the rubber valves to dry out because of its alcohol content.

You want to look for the propylene glycol rv antifreeze which will help the valves little bit with lube.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I can't find the link to the fantastic solution.

Simple enough to explain.

Drill a small hole on the face of the slide out valve near the rod.

The face meaning the area where the T handle lives. Spray some silicon lube inside the small hole. Exercise the vavle.

When done, just put in a small screw to plug the hole. I had some stainless ones so don't need to worry about rust.

These valves are smoother than when new.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
How would you "lube" them in the first place??

Dump the tanks, close the dump valves, dump in a quart of vegetable oil, open and close the dump valves rapidly a few times to spread it around

^Are you serious?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
I started lubricating only after having to replace the valve in our then 45 year old black tank. It was not an easy job. Had to remove the tank in order to do so.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

hotpepperkid wrote:
In 40 years of RVing I never have lubed my dump valves

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
In 40 years of RVing I never have lubed my dump valves
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Once the RV is parked after a trip and all cleaned up, I put on rubber gloves and give all valves, including the slide valve in the bottom of the toilet, a rub-down with silicone grease. Expensive stuff, but a great rubber preservative.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've used this stuff, but really, can't tell any difference.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I replace my valves, I coated them with silicone grease
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I see one here uses coconut oil. that is what I have used.
bumpy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When I could actually get to the valve, a couple of shots of vegi oil did a great job.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
veggie oil and any grease for the shaft

I would think that any oil would float on the black water and not do much lubricating. I would think one would need a water soluble oil if such a thing exist. Maybe the oil that is used to cool cutting tools in a machine shop.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
How would you "lube" them in the first place??

Dump the tanks, close the dump valves, dump in a quart of vegetable oil, open and close the dump valves rapidly a few times to spread it around.

NEVER USE ANY KIND OF PETROLEUM PRODUCT LIKE VASELINE OR 3-IN-1 OIL!
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Since I now know itโ€™s an issue...40 years after my first TC...Iโ€™ll lube them religiously.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad