cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Towing Mirrors

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what the current thinking/experience is about the best tow mirrors.

The ones I have work fine once adjusted, but they are hard to adjust and so hard to share driving with my much shorter wife and as we are considering doing a very long trip that would be more of an issue.

I tow with a 2003 Ford Explorer, so there is lots of plastic for the ones that grip on.

Any suggestions/ real-world experiences welcome.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.
11 REPLIES 11

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the cipa "universal" towing mirror, and it made a high pitched wind noise. I have since bought the above mentioned Milenco mirrors. The ones I bought are the Aero2. Work very well, easy on and off, stable, quiet.

Toydoctor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm strictly a newbie at dragging a trailer (after a dozen years in a 28' Class C Diesel), but noticed the CIPA Dual-view clampons are a dead ringer for the mirrors I just picked up at WalMart the other day.

Copies? Knockoffs?

All I know about 'em so far is that after the half hour you invest in setting all those mirrors, you can see most of four lanes behind you and I haven't managed to get a wiggle or a sound out of them at any speed I can drive. Also, I'm 6-1, my wife's 5-6 and she doesn't notice any problem with the view she gets...although I got into the habit long ago of setting mirrors a skosh low/inside so we don't have to screw around resetting every time we change drivers.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer

CIPA seems to have a complete line, I'll look into them in more detail as I collect information.

Agreed integrated tow mirrors would be best, but that is many dollars if just for new mirrors and the Explorer looks like it has several more years in it yet : -)

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
No. I too had similar poor experiences with McKesh. Viewing was great, but set-up was a hassle, road noise a pain, and constant fear of scratching paint and windows...including some scratching.

I went to the ~$60 CIPA's and loved them...until I just got a 3500 with factory towing mirrors, even better.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies.
I guess I am the only person not happy with McKesh mirrors ...

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
McKesh are the best I've found.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Joe2222 wrote:
McKesh mirrors! Have had mine for 13 years with a variety vehicles.
Won't leave home without them.

X2 - Been using the McKesh with the convex mirrors for many of years. I too won't leave home without them.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Aero Towing mirrors -- clamp easily and quickly onto OEM mirrors, hold the adjustments you made to them between taking them off and putting them back on. They are the best add on tow mirrors I have ever used. No problems whatsoever with them. They haven't left a scratch or a mark on my vehicle, and make no noise. Vibration level is very very low. Clicky here

Re McKesh mirrors, I'm glad two previous posters had good luck with theirs, but my experience was completely different. The straps sang in the wind so loudly and persistently that they became unusable -- they were so loud it would give you a headache, drive you crazy, or both, and nothing I did would stop the singing. The straps also began to wear a little bit of paint off the doors.

Then if I rolled the windows down while they were on the vehicle, the brackets would mark and damage the windows, so I couldn't roll the windows down once they were on. I understand it is possible these problems I had with them may vary from vehicle to vehicle. I happily sold mine on ebay, once I got my Grand Aero mirrors.

Joe2222
Explorer
Explorer
McKesh mirrors! Have had mine for 13 years with a variety vehicles.
Won't leave home without them.

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
14 Ford F150 Super Cab 3.5L EcoBoost

Sebastian FL

:Z:R

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
McKesh mirrors are the best I ever used - before we got a truck with real mirrors.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
For me, the best towing mirrors is the rear view camera with a 7"monitor.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work