cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Wax for Fiberglas Front Cap

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have been using McGuiars Cleaner Wax on the TT since it was new and have never had an issue with it. I just waxed it, then noticed camping last weekend that the front cap looked like it had a lot of haze or oxidation on it. Waxed it again when I got home and not looking much better. It feels smooth to the touch but doesnt have that depth of shine like it used to. Neighbor suggested compounding it, but Im hesitant to use anything too abrasive on the decal. Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Not Marine, just McGuiars cleaner wax. Putting it on with a buffer and removing by hand. 3M what???

Try a marine product since it is formulated for fiberglass and gel coat. I believe you will be happy with the results. I am with mine!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now if you REALLY want a shine that will outdo gelcoat, need less maintenance & last for many years, paint it. No, you can't use automotive paint. Marine paint. Awlgip. A 2 part epoxy. The stuff is amazing & very expensive.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Collinite #845 Insulator Wax for years on all of my vehicles and RV's. It is the best wax for shine, durability, ease of application,etc. I wax my MH twice a year with it. http://www.collinite.com/
I also use their Fleet Wax on my King Dome to repel the dew and rain.

Precision Painting always comments about how nice my MH looks new for a 2003 model,probably the shiniest they see. They painted it when new so they are familiar with it.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not Marine, just McGuiars cleaner wax. Putting it on with a buffer and removing by hand. 3M what???

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies for a small deflection here:
azdryheat wrote:
Also, I read somewhere (my owner's manual, perhaps?) not to put wax on the decals.

I or me if you will have been rubbing mink oil on my vinyl decals on the cap.
Doing this seems to have stopped any further sun damage of the graphics.

The mink oil also brings back a nice black shine to black plastic parts that are starting to show their age.
Just something I've been doing for years YMMV...

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the above.

Also, I read somewhere (my owner's manual, perhaps?) not to put wax on the decals.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am assuming that you are using the Mequires marine cleaner wax. Good stuff but are you simply applying it then buffing off or putting some effort into the application? With cleaner waxes simply applying is not good enough, especially as the gel coat gets older gets hazy.

Next time follow the cleaner wax with the Mequires Flagship wax, a pure wax, no cleaner, for a deep long lasting shine. Be careful what you use to clean that front cap too. Many soaps strip the wax off.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
collinite fleet wax

Explorer
Explorer
3M
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Some use Fiber glass boat wax.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+