cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware the snakes are out and about

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
For those of you in or coming to the southwest a cautionary reminder about our rattlesnake population. Spring has sprung as we are on our second straight week of mid to high 80 degree temps. The snakes have been denned up all winter and with the warmer weather they are very active and aggressive.

In short they are all out looking for a meal and a mate, not necessarily in that order and being hungry and horny does nothing to improve their already nasty dispositions. I spent five years working on the local golf courses as a Marshall and every spring it was the same. You are likely to encounter them at any time of day or night, never walk anywhere at night without a good flashlight. This time of year if you see a rattlesnake I can almost guarantee you there is another nearby and it is the one you don't see that can really ruin your day. This is the only time of year I ever had one actually come after me... probably because I was trying to move a potential mate and they are a lot quicker than you might think. :E

Be especially cautious with your pets as well. The anti venom is unbelievably expensive for people or pets and not every medical insurance plan covers it. The basic rule is simply to never, and I mean NEVER, put your hands or feet where you cannot see. Keep in mind that the natural camouflage of the rattlesnake is unbelievably effective and no they don't always rattle a warning. Be safe out there! :C
38 REPLIES 38

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
Pay attention when hitting the wood pile for the first time of the season. I have found several when doing that, ...fortunately harmless ones,,, still startling.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, Coral snakes, sharks, alligators, all just part of the Florida experience.

Ya know, I don't have any desire to visit Florida. I'll stick with the odd rattle snake and earth quakes here thank you.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling through Arizona-New Mexico in Sept. Are those rattlesnakes still around? I HATE them!!

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
That's is wright Washington D.C. is on break right now.A D.C. snake could be in your home town right now.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Your right. We came upon this guy while hiking in Arizona today. Diamond Back.

Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Took basic training at Ft. Bliss-El Paso in May 1968. On night manuevers, the D.I.'s warned us not to relieve ourselves in any areas except at the latrine we had dug. It was well lit. Said that snakes strike the warmest area of the body. That was enough warning for me.:)
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
Don't need to be in the wild. Two years ago I stepped out of my car at Sacramento Airport. Steeped right on top of a two footer. Lucky my big foot landed just behind his head. He struck my foot twice!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I killed about 25 around our home in Cave Creek when we lived there. The dog would tell you when they got near.
So big a world, so little time to see.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
They make tasty hors d'oeuvres.

Another "warning"!!:W

Depending on the snake (3 rattlesnakes included) those could be $10K hors d'oeuvres - along with possible "hotel" time in ARIZONA!.:(

Scroll down to - "Snakes"

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, Coral snakes, sharks, alligators, all just part of the Florida experience.

You forgot . . . . . Mickey, Minnie & Goofy..:B

~

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Had the snowblower out today, but the only thing that came out the chute was snow snakes.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
old guy wrote:
thanks for the heads up as we are leaving for AZ tomorrow afternoon. I know they are in the Phoenix area as I have seen them in our friends back yard. I was at the flea market and talking to some guy who told me that if I killed a snake in AZ that I have to cut the head off and bury the head so the bees don't get into the venom and then the bee bites you and it is the same as being bit by the snake. sounds like good advise even here in Oregon.
Did that guy at the flea market have an "old wife" with him? That is one of their tales. Can't happen.

CAN happen and did to a friend of mine many years ago...was stung..she got sick..dr. at the hospital said there WAS rattlesnake venom also...no joke and not a tale...I was there!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
We have timber rattlers in PA. I have only seen two in the wild. We have the measley copperheads, but thats about it. Pesky ticks are the other hand drive me nuts.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Where I live we have timber rattlers (also called canebreak rattlers) and my 12 pound yorkie was bitten by one, we got him to the vet in about 45 minutes. The vet said they no longer use antivenom, instead they use massive doses of antibiotics and morphine as the pain is extreme.

Two days and 600 bucks later my dog was home and there have been no after effects except he did lose the hair on his face, which has since grown back. He did not feel well for about a week, vet said due to large amount of medicine.

He was bitten on the nose and didn't want to give up the fight as that is what terriers do.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.