cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blueox pins

lilbbytimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a blue ox tow bar and the first 2 times I towed they came out easy the next time they were wedge in so tight we couldn't get them out it took forever for this gentlemen at a campground to get them out and it happened again when I got home could someone please tell me why thank you
19 REPLIES 19

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh, this is really good information as this has happened to me more than once. I had to knock the pins out with hammer and screwdrivee.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a fellow on the alcan beating the tar out of his tow bar to get them to loosen to allow disconnecting. He did not take kindly to the suggestion that when he gets it loose, add some oil to the slide for lubrication. I have a small hole under each arm about 1/8 inch dia that takes oil well. A lubed piston is a happy piston. Flat surfaces and turning the steering are good to do also

ghs
Explorer
Explorer
A quick endorsement of turning car on and turning the wheel all the way right and left.
2004 Brave 32V
2001 Hyundai Accent

kjwashburn
Explorer
Explorer
When you get to your destination and are unhooking the toad, if the pins are tight turn the engine on and turn the steering wheel fully right and left (or left and right). This should un-tighten the pins for removal. Let the power steering do the work for you.

lilbbytimmy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Yes, this one you need to get it straight and no forward or back pressure so you can release the arms via the handles.
Pins then should come out without much effort.
I would suggest inserting the pins from the outside going in with clips on inside.
the rv both times this happened was on a flat road and the arms were locked also

lilbbytimmy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I forgot to ask if the tow bar is nearly level when attached to the MH.
Closer to level the better.
It was on a level road.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gets even more difficult to get the load off the pins and the locks if you are on a slope. I try to find a flat area to unhook, and I can push the car a little to take the load off the towbar.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I forgot to ask if the tow bar is nearly level when attached to the MH.
Closer to level the better.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime mine are tight, I just get in, start the engine, and turn the wheel left or right, and that usually does the trick.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, this one you need to get it straight and no forward or back pressure so you can release the arms via the handles.
Pins then should come out without much effort.
I would suggest inserting the pins from the outside going in with clips on inside.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

lilbbytimmy
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You must be getting the tow bar in a bind. It is much easier to get pins out when the rig and toad are straight.
Which Blue Ox bar do you have and what brackets on toad?

Model Number BX7365 Alpha Tow Bar

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have read that if you put the MH into reverse and give it a little bump, it will loosen the pins. I always seem to forget to do this until I am trying to remove the pins.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
If you can unlock the arms first that usually helps. If there's too much tension they won't unlock easily and you can bend the handle if you push to hard. When mine are tight I have the wife start the car and put into drive or reverse with foot on brake. That usually is enough to release the tension.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The toad has to be straight so the pins don't bind.

I found if you are caught where the toad is not straight turning the wheel will unbind them.

After I was directed into the wrong CG site during the night that left me with a concrete parking bumper in front of my MH and my toad at a sharp 45 degree angle I had to find a way to get those now really jammed pins out to get the toad off so I could get the MH out. :R

A small hammer and a small socket extension fits just right to tap the pins out in a situation when all else will not work. That combo sits under the seat of the toad at all times.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.