cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brilliant

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
My apologies if this has been posted before. I don't normally read this section.

From Sandy Gayle Rauch Sluder's post in "Truckers Wall of Shame"
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
25 REPLIES 25

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder where they connected the break away cable.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
You mean an optical illusion like this:

Crazy Circle Illusion!

Not an illusion...as they are traveling in straight lines...

Astrophysicist buddy & co-scientist at SunLabs...his biz card said
"Trouble Maker" :B sent me this just now

This reminds me of a rotary engine cutaway I saw at the Air and Space Museum. You'd push the button to make it turn, and it was mesmerizing.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
brownieab wrote:
Ok I get how it comes off real easy. How in gods name do you push on a chain to get the clip in position ???? LOL !!!

That silver colored connector shaped like a U, has a threaded bolt that goes through both ends. They are actually quite strong. (I really don't see what the problem is with using this this? :B )

I been using one one for my blue tote for over 10 years now. I have no problems with it towing my tote. That connector is probably JUST as strong as those rusty chains. I really don't see what the problem is? :W :E

Here we go again, that blue trailer has no safety chains! I don't want that disgusting thing rolling into my campsite! :E

Bedlam
Someone has to point this out: I'm sorry to say that your receiver has no balls.

Now don't get offended, look at my signature.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
brownieab wrote:
Ok I get how it comes off real easy. How in gods name do you push on a chain to get the clip in position ???? LOL !!!

That silver colored connector shaped like a U, has a threaded bolt that goes through both ends. They are actually quite strong. (I really don't see what the problem is with using this this? :B )

I been using one one for my blue tote for over 10 years now. I have no problems with it towing my tote. That connector is probably JUST as strong as those rusty chains. I really don't see what the problem is? :W :E

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Oh...YES !!!!...I do believe there are folks who would do this thinking is A-Okay

Like the +20 year nimrod renter of one of dad's apartments who welded all exposed
water pipes down in the garage...cuz one joint was leaking...

Thought he was 'helping' us save money by not needing to call a plumber

He had purchased an El Cheapo welder from some discount outlet back in the 60's
and was welding up his Burning Man vehicle in the garage...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
You mean an optical illusion like this:

Crazy Circle Illusion!

Not an illusion...as they are traveling in straight lines...

Astrophysicist buddy & co-scientist at SunLabs...his biz card said
"Trouble Maker" :B sent me this just now
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone really gullible enough to believe it went down the road this that way? :R

The only thing not rusted is the shiny zinc coated clevis attatching the safety chains to the pin for a picture to create a stir. And apparently it worked.

Bedlam
When young, we used to pull sleds and tubes with motorcycles on ice and snow. You learn how to compensate for slack in the rope which is the same as you should learn how to compensate for the trailer snap with the chain. Not everyone that rides a motorcycle or tows a trailer has the skill to do so - We always hope that Darwin gets them instead of Murphy getting someone else.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Have you ever pulled a trailer with a motorcycle? Much different than a 4-wheel vehicle. If that trailer came off the ball but stayed chained to the bike, you'd be on your side sliding down the road before you knew any different.

I've always used crossed safety chains when pulling a trailer, except if I was going to pull with a motorcycle. Which I've always felt was a bit sketchy anyway.

Yes I have. And I had one attached to my bike at the time and I was in the middle of a 6,000 mile plus trip. If your set-up is correct the tongue will land in the "x" and the trailer will stay right behind you.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

brownieab
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you ever pulled a trailer with a motorcycle? Much different than a 4-wheel vehicle. If that trailer came off the ball but stayed chained to the bike, you'd be on your side sliding down the road before you knew any different.

I've always used crossed safety chains when pulling a trailer, except if I was going to pull with a motorcycle. Which I've always felt was a bit sketchy anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Motorcycles pulling trailers are notorious for doing this kind of stuff. I went through a lot of engineering to hook mine up properly so I have a chance to pull over if my trailer comes off the ball. I was out in South Dakota last summer and came across another motorcyclist pulling a trailer with no chains. He told me he has them in the trailer if a cop tells him he needs them he will put them on. When I pointed out he would be responsible if his trailer came off and rolled onto the sidewalk and killed somebody he said maybe he should put them on.

Just about that time another guy comes over to his bike and says "I was just checking but I see you already know about not using chains. When the law says I have to have them I cut a link so it will pull away. I've lost 2 that way so far."

Hopefully the next time that happens to him the link will give when he is on the brakes and the trailer will take him out instead of somebody else.
Sometimes Darwin works too slow.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Could be an honest mistake...telling the kid/spouse/buddy to help hook
up...notice that the receiver safety hole is under an inch away...so
they hooked it to the receiver pin clip not knowing

Also notice the newness of the clevis vs the other, older parts. Wonder why it
is new...did the old one fall off?

Or like others say...knew and did no purpose...I'll bet he'd be one
of the advisers who provide the "sure you can"..."been doing for decades
with no issues"...etc

-Ben Picture of my rig