cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bucket List trip

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my pop up for sale since August with no luck. Today I got a call from a older gentleman who wanted to take a looksie. We were chatting as I was setting it up and he says 'I've never owned a camper before only camped a couple of times in my life'. He tells me he had stomach cancer this pass summer and the surgery was a success but he got sepsis that dang near killed him so he decided he was buying a pop up and taking his 7 yr old grandson on a cross country camping trip to California next summer, wants to create awesome memories for him. Dang throughout the hour we spent practicing setting up and taking down, I couldn't help but get teary eyed thinking of all my great memories camping as a kid, then taking my kids and grandkids camping.
I certainly hope this man and his grandson have an incredible time next summer and they continue camping together until grandpa can no longer
12 REPLIES 12

tomgagne
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember a bad camping trip! Even when we broke down we made memories that continue to make us smile today. Good luck to pop and his grandson

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FunnyCamper wrote:
That sale had alot of good behind it!!! this sale put a smile on alot of people's faces here on the forum ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Yes it did.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sale had alot of good behind it!!! this sale put a smile on alot of people's faces here on the forum ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
well, did he buy your pop up?

yes time is limited and when it slaps you directly in the face, ya take action. smart guy! build the memories ALL thru life...we need to keep that in mind.

Yes he did, I even took his first low ball offer. I may have been suckered, I may not have been....but either way, if he is gonna be spending quality time with his family doing something I love to do, I am happy with the sale.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
In 1962 my grandfather took me on a camping trip to the Anza Borrego desert area.We visited and camped at Pegleg monument,split mountain and the stage station at Vallecito.He told me stories of the Butterfield stage,
the Mormon Bn, Kearnys column and the Battle of San Pasqual.
In 2014 I retraced the trip and old Pop was with me in spirit.
Pops truck was a 1951 Willys jeep

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Good for him. I say go for it while you can. This summer we had my oldest grandson (16) fly out to Fresno to join us on our trip. We went to Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, etc. One of my most memorable moments (maybe for him too) was when we took off early one morning, just me and him, to get the right lighting and to beat the traffic near Monument Valley. We took turns taking each other's picture in the roadway at the Forrest Gump movie scene. Sometimes the most simple things can be the most important.

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Our kids are now in college and we still laugh, and cry, about the fun we had living and growing together in our RV. We were never full timers, but spend as many days as possible during the summer traveling the country in the RV. These memories will last much longer than the RV. We still have fun re-living those times when we are togetherโ€ฆ.! I hope he and his grandson have a great timeโ€ฆahโ€ฆthe memoriesโ€ฆ

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
well, did he buy your pop up?

yes time is limited and when it slaps you directly in the face, ya take action. smart guy! build the memories ALL thru life...we need to keep that in mind.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I was bit by the camping bug as a child, 60 years ago. First in a tent, then a borrowed, homemade teardrop trailer. While I was in HS and College, my Dad retired and my parents hit the road. First, in a 'B', then a TT and finally a 'C' towing a VW. MY Dad always wanted to see Alaska, but he didn't live long enough to make the trip. So I made it for him years later. I know he would have loved it as much as I did. I still haven't been to Oregon and Washington, but they're on my bucket list.
I find it funny that there are pieces of my trips with them as well as my own trips that I remember vividly while others are lost to me. And much of what I remember isn't important or even noteworthy to anyone but me.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
That story kind of makes you teary eyed! What a great thing he's doing with his grandson.

I'm in my late 30s and already trying to work on my bucket list. Right now it's more of a "before the kids grow up list. "
Seems like there are reminders all around us to live our lives now. From coworkers who's husbands passed away before they got to retirement, to family members with end stage cancer at 50, there are reminders everywhere. Live life now, don't wait to start seeing the country until retirement.
We're taking the kids on a city and history tour this summer. DC, Baltimore, Gettysburg, NYC, Philly, and some nature time on Assateague island. Can't wait to make those memories!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Awww memories..Yes!

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure they will rack up the memories. My two favorite in a pop up are in Prince Albert Park in Canada. One the bears came at dawn and raided the trash can. We all laid on the bed quietly watching. Second my three brothers farted around with a moose calf and the momma moose treed them. They were in that tree until my parents took my sister and I looking for them. Caught my first Northern Pike that trip. We rented a little fishing boat and learned to troll. Great memories.