cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bugslide... it really works

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know there are a lot of ways to get the bugs off of our coaches but stumbled on this one recently and thought I would share. Bought a starter kit of Bugslide at the Laughlin River Run last month to use on my motorcycle {almost as great a bug catcher as our class C}.

{yes I ran the serach feature before posting and it came up empty on "Bugslide".}

Just {pump} spray it on and wait about 30 seconds and then wipe the critters away. It leaves a nice sheen and actually smells pretty decent. I have been having such good results with it over the last month on my New Indian Springfield I decided to go big and tackle our 24' Class C this morning. We had just returned from a 1,300 mile, 10 day, jaunt up to Angel Fire NM and as usual after a trip the cabover was covered in bugs.

Just reaching the cabover of Class C can be a challenge but after a thorough washing {think long handled soft bristle brush} the coach look pretty good... except for the bug collection on the cabover.

By placing a 6' step ladder as close to the cab as possible and moving it a couple of feet every few minutes I was able to reach the entire cabover. This did entail couple of long reaches but with one foot gently resting on a towel near the windshiled and the other on the ladder it was doable. Not much rubbing involved and I even went one step further and put a great coat of wax on after the Bugslide.

The wax is "Chemical Guys - Butter Wax" {Amazon} and puts a shine down like you would not believe. I have also tested this product on my motorcycle with unbelievable results. Anyway here is a pic:

For the record that is our 2012 Nexus Phantom 23P with 49,800+ miles on it. I am guessing that between the Bugslide and the Butter Wax the next crop of bugs should stick less and come off even easier... film at eleven.

:C
31 REPLIES 31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. My order of Bug Slide arrived yesterday. This morning I went out to try it. It was a perfect day to see how it worked because I ran into quite a few bugs last evening on my way home. I sprayed it on, let it sit on the bugs for 30-60 seconds as the directions said and then began wiping them off with the microfiber towel. Some of the bigger bugs came off but none of the splatter. I sprayed again and waited. This time for a good 5 minutes. Still the splatter stayed on the front of my truck. Then I sprayed a third time and put a lot of elbow grease into it. Three times sprayed and extreme hard rubbing and most of them came off. Then I went and squirted some charcoal lighter fluid on a rag and wiped the bugs. Now we're talkin! WALA! Bugs were now gone. Bug Slide is not very good. I don't care who says otherwise. It's no better than Turtle Wax bug and tar remover, its no better than any other bug remover. The bugs weren't even baked on! They got on my truck in the dark, the truck was in a dark cool garage all night. Water and a rag would have worked just as good. Complete waste of money.

Now the Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax I was impressed with. Pleasant smell, Easy on, Easy off, deep shine. I'll buy it again when I need to but that Bug Slide is worthless.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
rk911 wrote:
name of that product, please?

griots garage has "bug barricade" which is a spray on that leaves a film that keeps bugs from sticking, in most cases A quick hit with the hose gets all but the big ones off.

"bug and smudge" remover gets the rest of them quick.

Since we travel a lot we get the stuff in gallon jugs, pretty economical that way.

thanks
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

griots garage has "bug barricade" which is a spray on that leaves a film that keeps bugs from sticking, in most cases A quick hit with the hose gets all but the big ones off.

"bug and smudge" remover gets the rest of them quick.

Since we travel a lot we get the stuff in gallon jugs, pretty economical that way.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Larry I'm not sure what your point is but I repeat if you think the only ingredients are alcohol and water you are wrong. For the record, your info is 11 years old and only relates to one ingredient... yes I am sure there is alcohol in Bugslide.

I have come acrosss a product that is giving excellent results and just wanted to share this info with others. They can elect to try it or not. If you have actually used Bugslide and had some sort of problem then please enlighten us all but no, you cannot mix water and alcohol and produce Bugslide.

:R

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
According to THIS you could save your $$$ and simply make a mixture of water and alcohol or just pure alcohol for a dollar or two vice $20+ for the label.:S:R

I could probably make some SUPER BUGSLIDE by mixing some alcohol and WD-40!!!!!:p

Larry

Feel free to try it, but If you think the only ingredients in Bugslide are alochol and water you are sadly mistaken. :R White vinegar, about an oz to 6 oz's of distilled water also works if you rub enough but Bugslide simply dissolves the critters.

{Rain X is another product that I love and use with excellent results and it too contains water and alcohol along with many other ingredients}... as do many of my favorite cocktails.

:S

Well thus far I'm the only person to provide any verifiable ingredients in BugSlide so I can only go as my post CLEARLY STATES (i.e. "according to this") what is actually in the product.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We have had good luck using Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover similar to using Bugslide but considerably less expensive. We found it when we got tar on our coach while transiting a highway in Newfoundland that had just been tarred. We also used it on bugs and found it very useful. It also waxes the area to some degree.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Griot's garage also has a similar product. They also have a surface coating that you can spray on BEFORE you go that works wonders on keeping bugs from sticking.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
LarryJM wrote:
According to THIS you could save your $$$ and simply make a mixture of water and alcohol or just pure alcohol for a dollar or two vice $20+ for the label.:S:R

I could probably make some SUPER BUGSLIDE by mixing some alcohol and WD-40!!!!!:p

Larry

Feel free to try it, but If you think the only ingredients in Bugslide are alochol and water you are sadly mistaken. :R White vinegar, about an oz to 6 oz's of distilled water also works if you rub enough but Bugslide simply dissolves the critters.

{Rain X is another product that I love and use with excellent results and it too contains water and alcohol along with many other ingredients}... as do many of my favorite cocktails.

:S

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I just applied Chemical,Guys Jet Seal at their recommendation to the gel coat from their recommendation. It has a 12 month UV protection which my hope is helps the vinyl graphics. Been thinking of adding a wax over it to enhance the shine so may give their Butter Wax a shot
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been using ZEP on my RV. The Zep helps quite a bit with bug removal and when clean imparts a nice shine. Does Bug Slide remove Zep or other waxes?

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Desert Captain. I just bought a bottle of each to try out. I hope I get results as good as you have!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
is this the product you're using:

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Slide-trigger-Cleaner-Remover/dp/B004CMDDOC

Yes, as noted it works very well.

I have used it on vinyl graphics and the Nexus logo on the Cabover without any issues. As I said, bought both products primarily to use on my bike but when they both worked so well I had to try them on the RV and the results have been spectacular.

After putting a pretty good dent in the initial 16 oz bottle I went to Amazon today and ordered a half gallon {$63} to use to refill the 16 oz pumnp spray. I expect to be using the BS on both the bike and RV {same for the Butter Wax}. Will be doing both of our cars with the wax this weekend... amazing stuff.

I have no connection to either product, just another happy consumer.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
is this the product you're using:

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Slide-trigger-Cleaner-Remover/dp/B004CMDDOC
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK