cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Busy Fall Season?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about other areas, but western Michigan is crazy about camping right now.

Driving around today I must have counted at least two dozen RVs and trailers heading North and South (my town bottlenecks a major highway along the lakeshore)

I take off from work an hour early, hitch up my trailer and head to Ludington State Park, get there about 5:30 to find they're sold out for the weekend!

Two weekends ago way up North at Wilderness State Park they were nearly sold out, I got one of the last few sites for that weekend... the weekend before that Young State Park's shoreline loops were also sold out.

So much for a fall slow-down that many business owners like to complain about on the nightly news.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
12 REPLIES 12

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
Many of the state parks are holding special events this time of the year. We were at Van Buren SP near South Haven 2 weeks ago for something called Pumpkin Fest. All sites were sold out way in advance. There was trick or treating, pumpkin carving, sites were decorated and prizes given. The DNR site probably gives the dates for the various events for parks that conduct these events.

Whatever it is, it's a good thing!

Ended up at Interlochen SP, the lakeside spots are all full, but even with half the park closed, there's at least 3/4 of the sites available in the part that's open. Weird how the campers distribute themselves.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I don't know about other areas, but western Michigan is crazy about camping right now.

Driving around today I must have counted at least two dozen RVs and trailers heading North and South (my town bottlenecks a major highway along the lakeshore)

I take off from work an hour early, hitch up my trailer and head to Ludington State Park, get there about 5:30 to find they're sold out for the weekend!

Two weekends ago way up North at Wilderness State Park they were nearly sold out, I got one of the last few sites for that weekend... the weekend before that Young State Park's shoreline loops were also sold out.

So much for a fall slow-down that many business owners like to complain about on the nightly news.

Many of the state parks are holding special events this time of the year. We were at Van Buren SP near South Haven 2 weeks ago for something called Pumpkin Fest. All sites were sold out way in advance. There was trick or treating, pumpkin carving, sites were decorated and prizes given. The DNR site probably gives the dates for the various events for parks that conduct these events.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon coast busy this year.

Pogoil.

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
This is also Columbus Day weekend - many folks are off work Monday.
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a 4 day trip from Lake Tahoe to Lone Pine, Ca and back on rt 395. It was wall to wall campers. The fall colors are beautiful right now and the temperatures are perfect. Also, Columbus Day weekend there's a huge old movie festival in Lone Pine. Who knew?

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am sitting in our camper now at Roaring River State Park in Missouri. It is almost full. According to the reservation web site it is going to be pretty well full for the whole next week.
Soon as it stops raining I will be going fishing. Woohoo!!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Usually around here everything dies off after labor day. This year however the local campgrounds are still packed. The one we frequent is even booked up foor the final weekend before close. We got lucky to get our reservations. We always close the park every year. The last few years there has been the same for trailers in the whole park. Last year we all got together and sat around one fire on saturday night. It was a good time.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at Oak Creek Campground, near Lancaster, PA. This and all surrounding campgrounds are sold out this weekend. It's not because of the leaves, though. I think everybody is just trying to get in as much camping as they can.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Same happens this time of year in New England, many leaf peepers, compounded by some CGs closing for the winter. Plus it's just a darn nice time of year to be out.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Buck fever doesn't hit Michigan until November 15th.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
same here. BUT this is hunting season and the freeway is packed with rigs now.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Fall color is approaching 100% in the lower penninsula. In two weeks, the campgrounds will be empty.