Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

are my CAT scale weights ok?

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all.

Recently weighed my setup at CAT scale. I think I'm ok but not sure if I am optimal. Appreciate any thoughts. Here goes:

2006 2500HD Duramax towing 2007 Forest River Surveyor 255RS

Steer Axle: 4,200
Drive Axle: 4,260
Trailer Axle: 4,800
*Gross weight: 13,260

Truck GAWR
Front: 4,670
Rear: 6,084

I interpret CAT weights as pretty darn evenly balanced so I think I'm ok there but am wondering if I should go one less link on my Blue Ox sway pro to move more weight to the back axle???

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks for the help. I now know how I need to weigh next time I stop at a CAT scale.

Not hearing anyone say my front drive axle is overloaded which was my main concern. So I'm good to go until my next weigh in.

Thanks!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two main goals in setting up the WD hitch:

1. Returning front end somewhere near to unloaded weight level.
2. Not removing too much weight from the rear axle.

Like everyone else said you need your unhitched weights to get a complete picture.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned your truck is well under all the numbers with lots of excess (reserve) capacity for a larger trailer or towing doubles.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
CAT provides special pricing for RV weighing. When you go thru the first time you simply tell them you are going to be doing additional "re-weighs". The way the process works is that after your first weigh you go in and get your assigned ticket number. Then when you get your second and third weighs just tell the operator that you are a re-weigh for ticket number xxxxxx. Reweighs are $3.00 I believe. My usual pay for 3 weighs including tax is about $18 total. Of course you need to do all 3 weighs the same day. I usually do it this way:
No.1 - Pull thru fully loaded, trailer attached with WD on.
No.2 - Pull thru fully loaded, disengage/remove the WDH.
No.3 - Drop the trailer in the truck parking lot and just weigh the fully loaded truck.
Final note: All the passenger stay in the truck, no getting out while dad weighs. Second, do it with full gas/diesel and propane tanks.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Not enough information!

What is your GVWR and GCWR?

That is correct. If you really want to get into your exact weights and where you are at check your GVWR and GCWR also.

In addition to everything else, I went across the CAT scales twice. After dropping my fiver I went back and paid my $10.00 again to just weigh my F350 fully loaded for towing (extra fuel, 2 bikes on front hitch rack, rock tamers, 2 occupants, etc.). This way I knew the exact weight of the trailer by itself fully loaded. I was then able to tell how much extra gear/equipment we had added.

Being full time and traveling I try to take my combination across the scales every year. It keeps me light and honest!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck has more than enough capacity for the trailer.

What you want to know is what the real tongue weight is.

First need the truck weights without the trailer.

Then weights like you listed without the wd system active if you have a wd.

Then weights with wd active.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough information!

What is your GVWR and GCWR?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad