cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA Registration only took 7 months.....

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, for those of you who have read and commented on my previous post concerning getting our new mh registered in California....Good News.

Today, we FINALLY received the new plates and registration papers that we applied originally for back in August. After seven trips to local DMV, two trips to Bakersfield DMV, untold amount of phone conversations with Sacramento DMV, and two coach inspections by DMV agents....the mailman presented us with the fruits of our perseverance.

However, it seems that they are having problems reimbursing us the duplicate $1800 registration fees that they insisted on during our first visit to the local DMV even tho I pointed out to them that we had included the registration fees with the initial purchase. We bought the coach in Oregon, and the papers list the fee as a "Title Fee" and the CA DMV agent said that was different than "Registratrion Fee". Well, of course it was the same and Sacramento finally admitted that it was and that they would refund us the total duplicate. That was back in September and now they're saying it will have to go through their Sacramento accounting department and that we should receive a check in three to four weeks.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE OUT OF STATE....I don't care what it costs me!

Anyway, one hurdle down, one to go.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....
30 REPLIES 30

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just received a letter back from the DMV stating they will not register my fifth wheel because it exceeds 40ft in length. Apparently they don't even know their own laws on this matter. For reference if you are registering a trailer over 40' you may want to print out this new law and take it in to the DMV with you: 48 foot max 40 rear axle
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
rmasonschneider wrote:
exgman, you're quite a ways from Los Angeles so I doubt they'd do you any good but here's the contact incase you need it. Hanin Auto Registration 213-382-9731, they're down here at downtown LA on my way to work. He was an asian fella name Steve. btw. I'm not in any way affiliated with the business.

If you were affiliated with the business why would we care? Unless they don't provide the service you are claiming? :h

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
What's the going rate for a signature loan at the bank? 13,14, 15%?
Or, what's the penalty for being 7+ months late on CA registration? I think they triple it when your that late.
Seems like they owe you some money. Oh yeah, I forgot... It's okay when the gov't keeps our money and doesn't pay it back on time, but when we do it, it's fines, penalties, levies and maybe even confiscation for us. Gotta love it.

At any rate, congrats on getting it resolved...even if it only took almost 8 months.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, will wonders never cease. Today we received our $1861 refund from the DMV! So, we are now all caught up... got my Class B Non-Com license, got the registration and new license plates for the mh, and now a nice check refund due us from their incompetent agent who double charged us.

Let's see....started all of this on August 16th, 2013 and finished up March 27th, 2014. 7 months 11 days. whew!

Ron
Ron & Sandie

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the 3rd party registration company's. I have an appointment with my local DMV tomorrow and I don't expect it to go well. I think the last DP they registered was my CC back in '06. If I'm not successful, I will track down one of the company's and use one.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, I sure wish Mason had chimed in on my first post on this subject back in October. I seriously doubt if we have one of these companies here in our little town, but I'm sure there would be one in either Palmdale/Lancaster or Bakersfield. It most definitely would have been worth the $$. I bet I aged 5 years over this process.

Anyway, will keep my eye on our mailbox for that $1800 refund.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
MrOldman wrote:
Another good reason why I would move to California to live! Also is there anything they don't tax you on?

Groceries.

It should be noted that I love my native State.
The idiotic gov't....Not so much. Geographically, I can't think of many places that compare.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
exgman wrote:
rmason, can you tell us who did your third party registration? I've googled it and cant seem to find the right website.

And here's another -
Bracken Tax & License
1155 S Milliken Ave
Ontario, CA 91761

909-390-0035......909-390-0024
These folks have been 100% successful *legally* registering HDTs as MHs in CA. Ask for Teresa.
e-mail: teresa@brackeninc.com

The licensing services seem to be popping up all over in CA - there's one right *next door* to the very busy Laguna Hills DMV in Orange County.
Bracken does it all for you - and I would guess the service in OC next to the DMV would do likewise.
Among others, a CA LEO reports xlnt service from Bracken.

Another way to search for the service is through listings for "Vehicle Verifiers" (folks that are DMV certified to check & verify VINs for a fee).
A poster on the HDT forums used a vehicle verifier in No. CA, then
"walked" their own paperwork thru the DMV office.

BTW - AAA is usually good at most DMV things also - piece of cake -and easy- to register my SD 5th to CA. No problem, no delay - plates arrived promptly.

AAA was even able to figure out the paperwork to wave CA commercial fees for my TV with handicapped plates (wife). Saved $225 a year on that, and it's still registered commercial.
(Gal handling it had never heard of it before - had to call another office. You won't get that kind of service from the DMV, LOL!)

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
exgman, you're quite a ways from Los Angeles so I doubt they'd do you any good but here's the contact incase you need it. Hanin Auto Registration 213-382-9731, they're down here at downtown LA on my way to work. He was an asian fella name Steve. btw. I'm not in any way affiliated with the business.

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
rmason, can you tell us who did your third party registration? I've googled it and cant seem to find the right website.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, I don't know how I missed reading "cummins" on your sig below ๐Ÿ˜ƒ If you had to do it over again, I would definitely recommend the 3rd party registration service to get the paper work submitted without wasting a whole day at DMV and making an appointment with the CHP inspection station for your compliance issues rather than trying to find a DMV agent that's been updated with the protocols.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mason.. This post was concerning a diesel motor home...no smog test is required for any over 14,000 lbs. The new EPA emission controls are now 50 state legal with those diesels that use DEF. Try and find a DMV agent that is knowledgeable of this fact. They still insist that the engine has to be physically inspected and that there has to be mfg tag on the engine that stipulates that it is CARB certified. Go figure.

Using a 3rd party sounds like the way to go. I've not heard of this service before.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
When you register a out of state vehicle into the republic of California, you need a smog check, VIN inspection and fees. All you really need to do is get a smog check on your own, have a licensed third party registration service inspect the vehicle and do the registration on your behalf. They charged me $25 for the inspection, $25 to go and register it for me and I received my republic of California title in the mail in 2 1/2 weeks.
Hour for the smog check, 20 mins for the vin check, $50 for their service and my dues to the DMV is all it took.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
tuna fisher wrote:
Ca. DMV employees don't know anything except when break time is!! You can ask 3 a question and get 3 different answers. Don't even buy a motorcycle with less than 7500 miles on it, you can't get it liscensed, period.
:h :? :S
Are you saying you can't license a NEW motorcycle???
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund