Explorer
Prototype Cadillac motorhome:

Cadillac Motorhome
10 REPLIES 10

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
A friend had a MH on an even older Cadillac chassis. I think maybe some small builders were using the ambulance / hearse chassis for these? Don't really know much about his, that was long ago.

Back in the 70's a few of my sporting camping buddies where converting the big caddy funeral hearse's into RV's. Gotta admit they looked pretty good and were useful.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't there a company that for years built about 100 units a year on all kinds of different chassis ie studabakers, caddy's, dating back to the 50's
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
These Cadillac truck campers in the late 60's and early 70's were quite common. Most were built on the hearse frame. Superior had a large factory outside of Lima Ohio, and is no longer in business. They were of course primarily into school bus bodies and assembly.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The Lincoln is the winner. But, the GMC is a close second.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
A friend had a MH on an even older Cadillac chassis. I think maybe some small builders were using the ambulance / hearse chassis for these? Don't really know much about his, that was long ago.

Yes that's what it looks like. Hearse/ambulance chassis. I wonder how they worked in the duallies. Unlike other "prototypes" this one has the coach builder's badge, for whatever that's worth. Fine line between a redneck hack and a coach builder hack (very fine line).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I was ready to buy it then noticed the aC was falling down.
bumpy

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
And this is the GMC prototype
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My '96 Fleetwood limo was built by Superior. I'm not surprised they took a shot at an RV. Their build quality is, well, superior. My '94 Fleetwood limo was a Federal. Lots less attention to detail, IMO.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

BubDelicious
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this Lincoln on craigslist.

Lincoln