Explorer II
Explorer II
clicky
Puma 30RKSS
27 REPLIES 27

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The statement about store employees not allowed to comment about the store closings tickles me, what are they going to do fire them? Big whoop!
I will be across the street from the Raleigh store having lunch with my sister later today, maybe I can pick up a Honda 7000IE(?) for $1000. Better take my truck:)
Puma 30RKSS

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I tired to post with facts and figures and such. It wasn't allowed.
Basically Gander Mountain had a lousy marketing plan. Prices higher than MSRP on repackaged, under their label goods etc and firearms sometimes plus you could not.
get asistance many times and prices not posted on some whole isles.
All other Retailers were eating their lunch.
It seemed they were playing a game of establishing book value to sell the company.
They would not listen. I would love to see them succeed. The old Gander Mountain of 25 years ago was great ith selection and prices.
Since Good Sam Enterprises bought it at a bankruptcy auction, meaning the ownership of Gander Mountain will get nothing, I would say if their plan was to establish a high book value to facilitate a sale, they failed miserably. To me, it is likely they just couldn't compete in an increasingly competitive market. The internet has made life for all brick and mortar retailers more difficult. While I have no knowledge of Gander Mountain, never even been in one, it appears from the limited amount of information in these threads, that one of their biggest markets was hunting and shooting. If so, they hitched their wagon to a recreational segment that is experiencing contraction, at least when it comes to hunting.
If I was a betting man, my money would be on Good Sam seeing two opportunities. First, the real estate assets (stores and store leases, perhaps at less than current market rates) might be a fit for additional Camping World locations. Second, the Overton brand will offer Good Sam an entry point into the Marine accessory market, which might dovetail well with Camping World. I would be surprised if the Gander Mountain name survived beyond being used as a potential house brand to be sold inside Camping World stores.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tired to post with facts and figures and such. It wasn't allowed.
Basically Gander Mountain had a lousy marketing plan. Prices higher than MSRP on repackaged, under their label goods etc and firearms sometimes plus you could not.
get asistance many times and prices not posted on some whole isles.
All other Retailers were eating their lunch.
It seemed they were playing a game of establishing book value to sell the company.
They would not listen. I would love to see them succeed. The old Gander Mountain of 25 years ago was great ith selection and prices.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
We have one here in Lafayette IN where I live and they have one heck of a gun selection. Priced a little high but usually have 15% off sales even on guns and ammo and that brings them back in line on their pricing. They also have a big selection of clothing and sporting goods but I don't go there for that.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rangerman40 wrote:
There is a hybrid Camping World/ Gander Mtn store in Bowling Green Ky that's been there for a few years..... wonder if that's what they are thinking.

Yes, I've been to that site, but I don't think it is a hybrid. The two stores appear to be entirely separate, just next to each other (unless it has changed since last November). You have to walk outside to go from one store to the other. You can't pay for merchandise from one store at the other. But since CW's headquarters is also in Bowling Green (on the other side of the expressway), maybe they saw this close association as a good fit?

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
There is a hybrid Camping World/ Gander Mtn store in Bowling Green Ky that's been there for a few years..... wonder if that's what they are thinking.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
Well, in the years they've managed to stay in business, I can now buy Craftsman Tools at the local K-Mart. So if that's the case with CW/Gander Mtn. then maybe I will be able to peruse RV stuff at GM.
Except they sold Craftsman to Stanley. Diehard and Kenmore are also for sale.
Sears has already sold many of the buildings they owned to a holding company owned by the current CEO. It's a slow liquidation of their assets
This is true, article I read said the Craftsman deal could top 1 billion dollars. The Sears stores have no value but their Craftsman, Diehard, and Kenmore brands have very big value

While what both of you have said may be true, it really has nothing to do with my comment. Like you, I follow the news and know that Sears has sold off Craftsman and is looking to sell off their brand assets. I didn't claim that Sears/KMart is a booming business or that they would stay in business forever. None of this negates the point in my post that since the Sears/KMart merger, I could buy Craftsman tools at KMart. And maybe (just maybe) the Gander Mtn. stores that stay open after CW buys them out will now carry some RV supplies and gadgets. THAT was my point.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Well, in the years they've managed to stay in business, I can now buy Craftsmen Tools at the local K-Mart. So if that's the case with CW/Gander Mtn. then maybe I will be able to peruse RV stuff at GM.

You can also find Craftsman tools and lawn equipment at Ace Hardware stores.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
Jackfate wrote:
Reminds me of k mart/sears deal & hows that working out.

Well, in the years they've managed to stay in business, I can now buy Craftsmen Tools at the local K-Mart. So if that's the case with CW/Gander Mtn. then maybe I will be able to peruse RV stuff at GM.

Except they sold Craftsman to Stanley

Diehard and Kenmore are also for sale

Sears has already sold many of the buildings they owned to a holding company owned by the current CEO

It's a slow liquidation of their assets

This is true, article I read said the Craftsman deal could top 1 billion dollars. The Sears stores have no value but their Craftsman, Diehard, and Kenmore brands have very big value.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
My GM is still open and I do find ammo deals by shopping carefully. If nothing else Marcus knows marketing so we will see how many stores he takes and how it works out.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Beyond the fact that I usually consider a "winning bid" at an auction to be anything but a win (you just paid more than anyone else was willing to pay) the sporting goods/recreational equipment business is one tough space. Lots of big, well known rivals battle it out for customers. And it sounds like Gander Mountain isn't exactly the best known or highest regarded player. Hopefully there is a good plan in place to re-position Gander Mountain into a less crowded market. Otherwise, I don't see where it fits along side the Bass Pros, Cabellas and REIs of the world.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
n7bsn wrote:
Tvov wrote:

Last I heard the buyout deal did not go through? (BPS buying Cabelas) But I am not sure.

Not that I could find, an article by Motley Fool this past week made the case for BPS paying too much

Looks like it may still happen, but not until summer or fall this year.

Pending deal

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:

Last I heard the buyout deal did not go through? (BPS buying Cabelas) But I am not sure.

Not that I could find, an article by Motley Fool this past week made the case for BPS paying too much
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.