cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't fix stupid

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the middle of the block in town. Not a super busy street, but not a quiet one either. There are intersections less than 200' each side of me.

Here's the deal. I have to back the TT into my front yard, between 2 trees 12' apart. Not hard to do really. I always wait until traffic clears. But it NEVER fails that after I start the process, a car will come over the hill and run right up to the front of the truck, or rear of the TT. Understand, they can see me for more than 2 blocks, and there is ample time for them to turn, and go around, but they still come on. So guess what. They get to sit, and watch the master back slowly out of the road.
Once I get 50' of TV, and TT stretched out across a 30' road, ain't nobody getting by.
Were it me, and I saw a TT across the road, and I had a couple intersections to turn and go around. I'd do it in a New York minute.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
53 REPLIES 53

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I have the same situation as the OP, except no trees. People speed around a curve going up a hill despite the posted 20 mph limit and are presented with a wall of aluminum backing up or the side of my TV. I have seen their front ends dive as the result of panic braking. Some go over the neighbor's lawn across the street. It's so bad that I'm considering having a sign made and plant it in the ground on the blind curve. Have not decided what it would say yet...

STOP
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

Just_Jammin_14
Explorer
Explorer
We too live in the Foothills of NC and feel your pain. We live on a road that everyone uses for a shortcut, always in a hurry. We have to stop traffic from one direction as it is a partially blind curve and across from us to make matters worse is a neighbor that doesn't want us to drive on his grass. We don't tear it up, we just have to use a few feet to get the 5ver backed in. Most folks are pretty patient while we are backing in. Though one Sunday, we had a highway patrolman come by while we were backing in. He was very patient and congratulated DH on a job well done - no pressure.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 2500 SLT, 4X4 5.9 CTD,
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3025W

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they just like a little comic relief in their busy day....:B
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Before I built an addition onto my driveway making it a complete circle so I could move the MH around easy, I had to stop in the street in front of our house and back into the old straight driveway. Our house is at the top of a hill in a curve and invariably someone will top the hill and have to slow down quickly or run into me. Not wanting to continue risking my neck and MH encouraged me to fix my driveway so I could circle around and never have to back in again.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
HeeHawHoney wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
mrquacker wrote:
They can not choose a different route, unless the GPS says it's OK.

Boy that's closer to the truth than a lot of us want to admit. Just the other day DW bought something and AGAST paid for it with cash and on top of that added change with pennies so she would get back two quarters and guess what ... the sales person couldn't figure it out:E and had to give the DW the change back and then make change based on a whole dollar figure.:R SAD BUT TRUE:(

Larry

Larry, every single employee that we hire that is under 30 years old, and often times, not even then, is incapable of counting change. They expect the computer to tell them what change to give. Inevitably, there is going to be a customer that say, "Hey, I just found $.50 in my pocket." after you have entered the amount of cash received. That is why I insist that anyone who must deal with cash in our business learns how to count back change.

It disturbs me greatly that they don't teach the kids this in school or that their parents don't teach them out of a sense of responsibility. I have also met many young men and women that can't read an analog clock. They have never seen anything but digital. Am I that out of date? What will happen if they lost their phone!

Ok. DW took a couple of my 50 cent pieces that are only worth 50 cents to the store. Gave them to the little cash register girl. She didn't know what they were. Even though it says 50 cent right on it. She didn't know how much change to give. Had never seen one before. THATS out of touch.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
sleepyT wrote:
Two words POLITICALY CORRECT. As a nation we are told, we are special and that" we deserve this" and "we deserve that". As a child I was taught I didn't deserve anything, that I had to work for what I got. Another thing that is Dumbing our nation down TELEVISION. Even the major stations show nothing but mindless BULL----. When I was young the shows on TV were real entertainment.

THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKEN TO IT!!!!!!!

Jerry Springer generation..LOL

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
lizbard wrote:

If the cash registers don't tell the kids how to make change, they look lost. Since they are texting with the abbreviations, some kids don't know how to spell either.

I had a secretary once who thought Australia was one of the 50 states. She got that from the Internet so it had to be true.

Bonjour! ๐Ÿ˜‰
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
mrquacker wrote:
They can not choose a different route, unless the GPS says it's OK.

Boy that's closer to the truth than a lot of us want to admit. Just the other day DW bought something and AGAST paid for it with cash and on top of that added change with pennies so she would get back two quarters and guess what ... the sales person couldn't figure it out:E and had to give the DW the change back and then make change based on a whole dollar figure.:R SAD BUT TRUE:(

Larry

Larry, every single employee that we hire that is under 30 years old, and often times, not even then, is incapable of counting change. They expect the computer to tell them what change to give. Inevitably, there is going to be a customer that say, "Hey, I just found $.50 in my pocket." after you have entered the amount of cash received. That is why I insist that anyone who must deal with cash in our business learns how to count back change.

It disturbs me greatly that they don't teach the kids this in school or that their parents don't teach them out of a sense of responsibility. I have also met many young men and women that can't read an analog clock. They have never seen anything but digital. Am I that out of date? What will happen if they lost their phone!
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar situation. A 12' drive with a ditch and huge boulders on either side. Backing our boat in is a challenge. It never fails that someone comes right in the middle of the maneuvering. We are going to fix that....we own 2+ acres with road on 2 sides, so we are having a new drive put in so we can enter the property and then back in.

Sure hope it gets done soon! Traffic is really heavy up here lately ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similiar issue. I have to back into my driveway. I always wait for clear, but sometimes they show up before I am finished. So far everyone has been very patient.

Surprising really, as this is Michigan.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey it could be an opportunity for a teaching experience or just cheap entertainment.

I always check out others backing rigs in......learned a couple of tricks that way and it has always been entertaining.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
martipr wrote:
I would drive on up and just watch. It might make me green with envy or I might laugh myself silly. Either way I would enjoy the show.
I ,because of a telephone pole have to enter, from the wrong side, between the pole and a tree, do an S turn and through a 10 foot gate. We try to charge admission but the neighbors won't pay.

Feel your pain. Once we have unloaded the TT in front of the house. I have to turn it to back down the side yard, turn again to back thru the gate, and turn again to back in beside the building in the backyard. People who see it sitting back there. Always ask. How did you get it in there? To which DW just says. He's GOOD..... When it truth. I couldn't do it without her. She is there to tell me when I'm about to hit the fence, or the building. Her help is NOT an option, it is a necessity
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
The one that gets me is I will be travelling and pull in somewhere and park the truck/TT way out in a parking lot where there is no cars in sight, across parking spots to be out of the way, not block traffic lanes and to ease my exit and some fool will come and park two spots in front of me.

Been there. Nope, you can't fix stupid.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a subdivision but on one of the main roads. I frequently have traffic blocked for the 30 45 seconds it takes to back into the driveway. The last time after I backed in I heard a guy who had been waiting maybe 15 seconds yell something. I wondered why my wife gave him a thumbs up instead of something else but she came back with a big smile on her face and said the guy yelled "great job!". If you take too long to back into your space, maybe you need to practice more. Now I can't do this, but I did see a professional fisherman back his bass boat down a 60 or 70 yard single lane boat ramp at about 50 miles per hour. He didn't even slow down when he hit the water, just popped it back in drive and hoped his partner (who was in the boat during the launch) had the motor started by the time he parked the truck/trailer and got to the dock. Never seen anything like it before. :B
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide